Turntables for Non-DJs

Last response: in Home Audio
January 31, 2005 4:13:51 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm a college student who's looking to find a new turntable to play a
collection of LPs I've recently gotten my hands on. I'm having a little
bit of trouble, though, finding one suitable for my purposes. Because I
want a new turntable, it looks like I'll be shopping for something
usually used by DJs. Because I'm just going to use it to play records,
and not scratch or submit the turntable to any sort of punishment it
might undergo when used by a DJ, is there any real difference between
the models? Could I get away with a cheap model on the low end? Would
it still be of (comparibly) poor quality, or would it be just fine for
someone like me?

In addition, does anyone have any recommendations for a brand/model?
I've only looked at Stanton turntables so far...they seem to be in my
price range (I'd really like to spend no more than $150, and less if I
can get away with it).

Thanks,

-Daniel

More about : turntables djs

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:04:10 PM

What about sony's turntables? Any good?
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:34:40 AM

hi daniel

there are 1 or 2 new turntables on the market that are just for hifi
buffs...the revolver units comes with arm and cartridge for about £100
i seen a few advertised on the web....and in ebay

is that about the price you was thinkin?
best wishes
j7
www.audioorigami.co.uk
February 1, 2005 1:38:37 AM

dsalas@nyu.edu wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm a college student who's looking to find a new turntable to play a
> collection of LPs I've recently gotten my hands on. I'm having a little
> bit of trouble, though, finding one suitable for my purposes. Because I
> want a new turntable, it looks like I'll be shopping for something
> usually used by DJs. Because I'm just going to use it to play records,
> and not scratch or submit the turntable to any sort of punishment it
> might undergo when used by a DJ, is there any real difference between
> the models? Could I get away with a cheap model on the low end? Would
> it still be of (comparibly) poor quality, or would it be just fine for
> someone like me?
>
> In addition, does anyone have any recommendations for a brand/model?
> I've only looked at Stanton turntables so far...they seem to be in my
> price range (I'd really like to spend no more than $150, and less if I
> can get away with it).

Deny your instincts. Buy used. Get a used Rega Planar 2, NAD or Pro-Ject;
or if the bank book allows it, get a Planar 3.

Colin
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:46:21 PM

I think sony is about same sort of quality that most the big Japanese
manufactures...they are ok and work very well ...

but not top of the range ...and don't normally have removable tone arms etc
....so upgrading them is not really possible
not sure if all sonys have standard cartridge fittings...to upgrade the
cartridge

hope that's helped
j7
http://www.audioorigami.co.uk

"EbonDervish" <dsalas@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> What about sony's turntables? Any good?

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:40:06 AM

> "EbonDervish" <dsalas@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> > What about sony's turntables? Any good?

Mine sounds fine. Why pay more?
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:29:55 PM

dsalas@nyu.edu wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm a college student who's looking to find a new turntable to play a
> collection of LPs I've recently gotten my hands on. I'm having a
little
> bit of trouble, though, finding one suitable for my purposes. Because
> want a new turntable, it looks like I'll be shopping for something
> usually used by DJs. Because I'm just going to use it to play
records,
> and not scratch or submit the turntable to any sort of punishment it
> might undergo when used by a DJ, is there any real difference between
> the models? Could I get away with a cheap model on the low end? Would
> it still be of (comparibly) poor quality, or would it be just fine
for
> someone like me?
>
> In addition, does anyone have any recommendations for a brand/model?
> I've only looked at Stanton turntables so far...they seem to be in my
> price range (I'd really like to spend no more than $150, and less if
> can get away with it).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Daniel

For $150, you're not going to get a very nice one. I'd probably just
hold off and save up for a nice new Rega or something, but if you
really want a $150 new turntable, I'd suggest the Denon DP-29F or some
Sony model at the same price, I guess...

Alternatively, you could go buy a vintage turntable on ebay. Of course,
there's the risk that you could spend $150 and get a worthless piece of
junk. You could probably get an old Thorens, Dual, or Marantz for that
much. Alot of the old turntables work just as good as the new stuff
(provided you get a decent cartridge for them) though they are usually
kinda ugly.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 3:37:01 PM

On 31 Jan 2005 13:13:51 -0800, dsalas@nyu.edu wrote:

>Hey everyone,
>
>I'm a college student who's looking to find a new turntable to play a
>collection of LPs I've recently gotten my hands on. I'm having a little
>bit of trouble, though, finding one suitable for my purposes. Because I
>want a new turntable, it looks like I'll be shopping for something
>usually used by DJs.

So get a used one. Plenty of misguided people throw out perfectly
good turntables because having vinyl AND CD seems to confuse their
little doggy minds :-)
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 3:03:58 PM

You should consider getting an used AR-XA or AR-XB. They are available
for about $100 to $150 used on Ebay. These are simple manual turntables
but are the same basic design as some high end tables. If the cartridge
is not any good buy a Audio Technica AT-95 or Shure for $49 and install
it. For less than $200 you can have a turntable that sounds great.

Theron

!