audigy ?

G

Hi Guys.

i would like to buy a Creative Audigy sound card but im puzzling about all these creative models ?!?

i have around $250 USD to spend to.

i heard somewhere it exists another brand as "Turtle Beach" or something like that which could be also a good sound card brand ?

any comments are welcome.

thanks.

hey, im a newbie, keep it easy men. be cool and be patient. thanks. :)

Novakain

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've got an Audigy and I like it. There are others out there who like Audigy's too. The popular opinion on this board is that Sound Blaster products are crap, and in some cases, it's a well founded opinion. Just depends on personal experience and preference I guess. But you are best asking what sound card would best suit your needs rather than which card is better. Otherwise you'll start a sound card forum version of a flame war - a rather cold one.

What do you want to use the sound card for?

G

i also.

<pre>hmm.., flame war?!?</pre><p>hey, im a newbie, keep it easy men. be cool and be patient. thanks. :)

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
GO AWAY PROFESSIONAL TROLL!
how many threads am i gonna have to post that in.

I just upgraded from Audigy to GTXP 6.1 and i'm glad i did. Its much better all around especially if you love music.

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.

G

rofl.

hey, im a newbie, keep it easy men. be cool and be patient. thanks. :)

G

Audigy platinum Ex is a good card ,especially if you have a MD recorder.
Extigy card is cheap and you have the option of carrying it to a laptop if you ever get one

FatBurger

Illustrious
No, my Game Theater XP kicks the Audigy down the street and back, at half the cost. Only lacking features are Firewire (which can be had cheap) and Advanced HD, which is only available on one game so far. I won't bother listing the ways the GTXP is better than the Audigy.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
FatBurger, i got my new headphones and amp in (Senn. HD580's and Headroom Total Airhead 9V) they kick ass on the GTXP both for games and music. 100% kick ass. The GTXP matches really well with em. Tried em on "old" audigy and they sound very harsh. So for high quality sound the GTXP's definitely there for us-)

This has been yet another public service announcement regarding the GTXP and Santa Cruz converting a former Audigy fanboy.

DBrown...i'd rather buy it at COMPUSA and get a 1 year instant replacement warranty! Greed=bad...you dont always get what you pay for either. Sometimes you get more than you pay for...like at CompUSA with their instant replacement warranty. But then you'd have to go ask them about that...people here get really hyper when i tell em about it.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
read up on www.headroom.com and www.head-fi.com if your interested in them. Not all Sennheisers are created equal.

juicebykurt

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I mostly play games as opposed to music on my pc. And it is sooo much better to play games with headphones on. I can't imagine what it would be like to have some high quality ones like that. $100 bucks is pretty damn steep though...

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
And it is sooo much better to play games with headphones on.
Headphones are nice for immersion in gaming but are limited to stereo. They can't position audio in front of and behind you, which is important for many games.

Ritesh

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Not that any of you would ever do this but....here's a small note about what i got...and love, just in case your interested or curious.

GTXP w/1 year instant replacement warranty from CompUSA is 140 bucks(warranty included in price). HD580's are 200 bucks (5 year warranty with Sennhieser America. Total Airhead is 180 if ordered with the HD580's(2 year warranty with headroom. All headroom products have 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Those are best bought from <A HREF="http://www.Headroom.com" target="_new">http://www.Headroom.com</A>. You can get a good power adapter for it at ratshack for 40 bucks, just make sure you set it up right so you dont fry the amp. The Total Airheads work on 4.5 to 15 volts and sound different at each voltage setting, the ratshack adapter has several settings in that range you can chose from, i prefer 6V personally. However, if you get something like this and dont plan on ever using it portably like with a pocket cd player...i highly recommend just getting their lowest end home version for slightly more money. Total Airhead is good, but its still a portable unit and uses very light construction.

This setup is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more fun to me for gaming than playing with Z-560 speakers or Klipsh pro media setups. Really good sound. Great for lying back in your favorite chair and listening to any kind of music too. These headphones really come alive on higher end dedicated CD players but work great off the GTXP too.

Disclaimer, I will laugh at you if you try these headphones on a creative sound card. In one word, DONT.

edit:
ritesh, you'd be surprised just how good they can be for gaming on my setup....if you cant find it in you to tell where its coming from...then figure the obvious, if you cant see it its behind you. There's only two games where the sound is soo detailed in positioning and distance factors that i prefer my speakers still. Those two are ID2:EoC, and Ghost Recon. For everything else, headphones do a better job. Rember to use A3D instead of EAX when using headphones if its available. Oh yea, in all fairness, Ghost Recon is the one and only game i can find that i prefer on the audigy sound card over the GTXP. It is the ONLY one though. Thats not sayin its bad on GTXP, just sliiiightly better acoustical reverb on the audigy for Ghost Recon.

last edit:
Oh yea, if you dont have a $530 dollar pc headphone setup, and you contradict me, i will flame your arse.

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/08/02 10:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
I disagree. Headphones offer far better positioning. Especially with the Sensaura engine, that you configure to your ears specifically, the 3D positioning is amazing.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I disagree. Headphones offer far better positioning. Especially with the Sensaura engine, that you configure to your ears specifically, the 3D positioning is amazing.
First of all, technically speaking, even a 5.1 system can't do 3D positioning because there are no speakers above and below the plane of the listener. So I don't know why they call it "3D sound", because it's really just 2-D. I haven't found a speaker system yet than can effectively fool me into thinking there's a helicopter flying right above me.

But it is impossible for a headphone to do even 2-D positioning. It's limited to 1-D. It consists of two drivers to either side with nothing in front of and behind the listener. I agree that the stereo effect (left vs. right) generally comes across much better than in speakers. But to get fooled into thinking there's something behind us, we have to be psychologically cued by seeing nothing on the monitor and hence assuming it's behind us, like WilliamC said. If you close your eyes and thus eliminate the visual cue in the game, I guarantee that approximately half the time you'll be *dead wrong* about whether the sound is coming from a source in front of or behind you.

I've compared my Klipsch 5.1 speakers and Sennheiser 600HD headphones on games with positional sound, and although the headphones are generally more immersive, the Promedias are more *accurate* every time. There is rarely a question of where that sound is coming from: right rear corner, front left corner, right behind me, etc. Plus I can fix the immersion issue by cranking up the Promedias, but that may get me in trouble with my neighbors. :)

It's going to take a lot more than a Sensaura chip to get true 2-D sound out of a headphone. It's going to take a magic spell or something.

Ritesh