Toslink sound quality

Last response: in Home Audio
February 2, 2005 1:02:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

Hi,

I connected my Gateway 610X media center computer to my Harman Kardon
AVR315 (I have B&W CM4 speakers) via the digital optical audio using a
Toslink cable.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2...

http://harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&...

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products...

I am getting the mid ranges and the trebles but I am not getting any
bass. What do you think is the problem?

More about : toslink sound quality

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 10:37:26 AM

"nash123" <bulent74@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I connected my Gateway 610X media center computer to my Harman Kardon
> AVR315 (I have B&W CM4 speakers) via the digital optical audio using a
> Toslink cable.

For openers, the Toslink cable isn't the cause of your problem. This kind of
digital interface either transmits nothing or everything.

> http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2...

> http://harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&...

> http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products...

> I am getting the mid ranges and the trebles but I am not getting any
> bass. What do you think is the problem?

Probably cause - how you have defined the speakers, in the setup feature of
the receiver. Your receiver has bass management features that control the
frequency ranges sent to various speakers in your system. This is why the
bass is not getting through - your receiver is adjusted to not send bass to
these speakers.

You should define the CM4s to the receiver's bass management for these
speakers as being "large" unless you have a really bodacious subwoofer.

Please see
http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Owner%27s%20Manual/AVR%201...(rev%2012-2-04).pdf ,
page 11 item 36 for more information about setting up bass management.
Additional information is on page 18.

Modern surrund receivers aren's simple little old-fashioned stereo boxes.
You should read and understand this entire manual before you proceed.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:38:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

nash123 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I connected my Gateway 610X media center computer to my Harman Kardon
> AVR315 (I have B&W CM4 speakers) via the digital optical audio using a
> Toslink cable.
>
> http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2...
>
> http://harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&...
>
> http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products...
>

> I am getting the mid ranges and the trebles but I am not getting any
> bass. What do you think is the problem?

I'm willing to bet it's your Harman Kardon AV receiver. It's not broken,
just mis-configured. Since you're using BW CM4s then the Harmon should
be configured to run with stereo speakers only, no subwoofer, no 5.1 7.1
etc. With that configuration, all audio frequencies will go to the left
and right channels.

CD
February 2, 2005 2:54:09 PM

In rec.audio.tech nash123 <bulent74@gmail.com> wrote:

> I connected my Gateway 610X media center computer to my Harman Kardon
> AVR315 (I have B&W CM4 speakers) via the digital optical audio using a
> Toslink cable.

> http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2...

> http://harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&...

> http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products...

> I am getting the mid ranges and the trebles but I am not getting any
> bass. What do you think is the problem?

My guess would be that the Gateway * is directing the bass to the subwoofer
channel, but you don't have a subwoofer.

* it could also be the Harman Kardon, but the default setting is probably to
send the bass to both the subwoofer and the front speakers, and if you had
changed it you would know. But check page 17 and followings in its manual:

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Owner%27s%20Manual/AVR%201...(rev%2012-2-04).pdf

Some question which would help to diagnose the problem:

- what happens with other sources (CD, tuner, etc.) connected to
the Harman Kardon ?

- what kind of sound are you playing on the Gateway ? Stereo,
multichannel (Dolby, DTS) ?

- what does the front panel of the Harman Kardon shows ?
I looked at it:

http://harmankardon.com/front.aspx?prod=AVR%20135&cat=R...

It seems to have the usual displays, showing the channels in
which it is receiving signals on the right side. So for instance,
if you are listening to stereo, you should see the "L" and "R"
displays lighted. If the Gateway is sending the bass to the
subwoofer channel, the "LFE" (Low-Frequency Effects) channel
should light up.

On the left side it seems to show the type of input it is seeing.
I am not sure what it will show if the Gateway is sending PCM
(nothing ?).

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:00:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.opinion (More info?)

Hi again,

I should have mentioned in my first email but I had already set the
receiver to "surround off", just bare stereo output, with no subwoofer
or surround speakers. I also had selected "large" for the floor
speakers, so the signal should have included the bass to the speakers.
I agree with all that it is a receiver issue but I looked at all
options that I could tweak but did not help. I am hoping to find a CD
player with optical digital output so that I can try this again but I
just could not find one yet.

It is still a mystery to me.

Codifus wrote:
> nash123 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I connected my Gateway 610X media center computer to my Harman
Kardon
> > AVR315 (I have B&W CM4 speakers) via the digital optical audio
using a
> > Toslink cable.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2...

http://harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&...

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products...

> > I am getting the mid ranges and the trebles but I am not getting
any
> > bass. What do you think is the problem?
> >
> I'm willing to bet it's your Harman Kardon AV receiver. It's not
broken,
> just mis-configured. Since you're using BW CM4s then the Harmon
should
> be configured to run with stereo speakers only, no subwoofer, no 5.1
7.1
> etc. With that configuration, all audio frequencies will go to the
left
> and right channels.
>
> CD
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 4:15:27 PM

Sorry I just saw your posting - Like I said, I only have the floor
speakers configured on the AVR, no surround, no subwoofer etc. On
regular signals from my CD player (analog) the signal has all treble
mid and bass.

It is likely that this may be a Gateway issue too, since it has a built
in subwoofer. But when I hook up the Toslink, Gateway does not mute,
it also plays the song on the speakers. I would have thought only the
subwoofer would play since the rest goes to the BW4s, but no. The
setting on Windows is set for 2 speakers, it is not set for home
theater, so it is probably not Gateway either..

When I select optical input, it shows Optical 1 only. It does not have
anything to do with DVD or CD selection. So the screen shows
DVD/Optical 1 or CD/Optical 1, but it would still play. On the left
side, since I turn all surround off, nothing shows up. Also I do not
see LFE since I turned that off also.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:58:43 PM

Update - I hooked up a DVD player through optical and everything plays
fine. So it is the Gateway's settings. I looked everywhere but could
not find a way to release the basses.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:41:15 PM

Well, whatever you're doing, it's NOT the cable. Digital is digital, if
you're hearing anything at all that sounds remotely like you expect it
to, then it's not the cable. A digital cable will not selectively drop
high or low frequencies.

On 2005-02-02 17:02:01 +1100, "nash123" <bulent74@gmail.com> said:

> Hi,
>
> I connected my Gateway 610X media center computer to my Harman Kardon
> AVR315 (I have B&W CM4 speakers) via the digital optical audio using a
> Toslink cable.
>
> http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/TVMediaCenter/2900210/2...
>
> http://harmankardon.com/product_detail.aspx?Region=USA&...

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products...

> http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products...

> I am getting the mid ranges and the trebles but I am not getting any
> bass. What do you think is the problem?
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:16:02 PM

nash123 wrote:

> Update - I hooked up a DVD player through optical and everything plays
> fine. So it is the Gateway's settings. I looked everywhere but could
> not find a way to release the basses.

That would have been my 2nd suggestion:)  Good move on trying the DVD player.

CD
!