Emachines and Win2k

banesong

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does anyone know if the Emachines model 600 is compatible with windows 2K? I can't find the info on Emachines Website. Also looking for updated bios/drivers.

TIA

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Because of the age of the system, I suggest you contact Emachines directly and ask a technical support representative. There doesn't appear any updates for your computer on the website, and nothing for a model older than the eTower 733i.

While the system may very well support Windows 2000, finding drivers for all the integrated components and peripheral devices may be difficult without direct support from the company.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>

wmabern

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
FWIW, I found the eMachines website to be a slightly worthless.

I installed Win2k on my girlfriends 466 emachine a year or so ago and just recently installed XP-Pro on same with out problems.

The only issues you will have are the drives for onboard/built-in hardware. Not being familiar with your particular machine, I would search for drivers for any on-board sound/video/modem before trying the upgrade.

I think her machine had a software-based modemn that was the hardest to find drivers for, but they are out there.

With you having a newer machine, I don't think you would have any problems locating drivers. Gather all your new drivers on a 2nd partion, CD or floppies before you begin.

Just for your info, I have also installed new video & sound cards, and disabled her built-in modem on the emachine(using cable now). Using XP-Pro now on it and it handles all the driver installations flawlessly.
Good luck.
Mark