DVD not there

Hi, I have a BVD108A DVD player-wrked for 2yrs. Now, will not see DVD's but will see CD's. AT my computer if i try an explore F: is not accessable retry/cancel or if i try from the DVD player software i get a no DVD, put one in message.
I cant find any new drivers (driverguide and a couple others) It loads them from W98.
The enigma is that it recognises CD's, it will play games etc... but not DVD's. I am using CyberLink power DVD software, but i dont think thats the problem.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I have tried at at least 3 other boards. This is my last shot.
Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about there
  1. mebbie windows had gone ga-ga... have U tried to access the DVD disk from dos (not a dos window.. boot up into dos (ie fress f8) and see what it says...
    Is it all DVDs or just a type eg single-layer, double-layer etc... try an old DVD disk
    uninstall your DVD software & reboot & see if windows will read a DVD now
    Have you run a headcleaner thru the drive yet (mebbie greasy DVD lens... cant remember if one laser is used to read a DVD & another to read a CD... mebbie I am going mad...)

try it & see...
    if all else fails try the drive in another system... see how it goes

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...
  2. DVD drives use two separate mechanisms for reading disks. One for standard data/audio CD's the other which is completely independant reads DVD's.

I would say the DVD mechanism has failed while the CD mechanism continues to function......possibly cleaning the DVD mechanism's lens might help but I think it is time for a new drive.
  3. thanks guys, and i am embarssed, I most deffinately should have thought of the DOS try.
    To answer one of the Q's yes its all DVD's.
    No, I haven't tried a headcleaner, but will.
    I am glad that I learned that it IS two seperate read heads, one for CD one for DVD.
    I can put it in another sys. and should have also tried that.
    It probably is time to go get a new player, but untill I have tried everyting under the sun to get this to work....
    I will let you's know what the out come is.
    Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

peace be with you
  4. to amdchuck and marneus:
    Thank you for your help.
    SUCCESS!
    And I have to admit, that I didn't think so. Headcleaner!
    Yep, that was it. When it didn't even see the drive I was sure it was something else. Almost so sure that I wasn't gonna try the cleaner. But compare $10 to $100 and I figured it was worth a shot. And it paid off. Again, my hat is off to you guys. Thanks, I hope I can repay you sometime.

peace be with you
  5. saved U a bit O money then... excellent

There are no stupid questions... just lots of inquisitive idiots...
  6. yep! and that means by rights he should pay us the difference! :smile:

Today on Toms: Trisexual hamsters, anal applications of peanut butter and Marrage councilling!
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives DVD DVD Players CD-Rom Storage