Help with Sound Blaster Audigy mods

I just installed a SB Audigy into my workshop PC. It is a significant
advance over the internal sound card, providing a good 20dB superior S/N
ratio. This will be quite useful for test purposes. Emboldened, I have my
heart (but not my bank balance) set on a Lynx, which seems to offer very
superior performance.

Here's the problem: I don't have a PCI extender card, so I have not
performed any tests on the SB card, but I notice quite a few 4558 ICs. It
would seem prudent and not too onerous a task to replace these with
something a little better (I have a OP275s on hand, so they should fit quite
nicely). Has anyone modded the Audigy and what results were found?

TIA

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

    Trevor Wilson wrote:

    > Here's the problem: I don't have a PCI extender card, so I have not
    > performed any tests on the SB card, but I notice quite a few 4558
    ICs. It
    > would seem prudent and not too onerous a task to replace these with
    > something a little better (I have a OP275s on hand, so they should
    fit quite
    > nicely). Has anyone modded the Audigy and what results were found?

    I found a good datasheet on OP275, but only sketchy info on the 4558.
    It looks like the OP275 has lower voltage noise but probably higher
    current noise. Thus, the noise tradeoff would depend on the exact
    application circuit. In terms of other factors, the OP275 has a higher
    slew rate, but the 4558 has sufficient slew rate for competent
    performance.

    Seems like a toss-up. Worth considering is the OPA2134. Of course there
    comes a point where your dynamic range is determined by your
    microphones and recording space. Improving the measured performance
    might be fun from a hobby standpoint (never one to discourage this,
    since I am an electronics hobbyist myself), but of minimal practical
    value.

    One experiment might be to ground the input of the analog-to-digital
    converter and see if the noise floor goes down. If it does not, then
    superior op amps won't improve matters.

    On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:18:44 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
    <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote:

    >I just installed a SB Audigy into my workshop PC. It is a significant
    >advance over the internal sound card, providing a good 20dB superior S/N
    >ratio. This will be quite useful for test purposes. Emboldened, I have my
    >heart (but not my bank balance) set on a Lynx, which seems to offer very
    >superior performance.
    >
    >Here's the problem: I don't have a PCI extender card, so I have not
    >performed any tests on the SB card, but I notice quite a few 4558 ICs. It
    >would seem prudent and not too onerous a task to replace these with
    >something a little better (I have a OP275s on hand, so they should fit quite
    >nicely). Has anyone modded the Audigy and what results were found?

    Is it worth it? The Audigy's system of resampling everything
    internally to 48KHz count it out as a quality card, though it has
    useful features. As better cards are so cheap, (often cheaper than
    an Audigy), why not install one.

    Any recommendations on what you would consider a better card?

    "Trevor Wilson" <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote in message

    > Here's the problem: I don't have a PCI extender card, so I have not
    > performed any tests on the SB card, but I notice quite a few 4558 ICs. It
    > would seem prudent and not too onerous a task to replace these with
    > something a little better (I have a OP275s on hand, so they should fit
    > quite nicely). Has anyone modded the Audigy and what results were found?

    I would question the point of oputting any effort into this, considering the
    amount of dickery that goes on in this range of cards (compulsory SRC in
    DSP, etc).

    geoff

    "Morris" <don't_spam_me@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Any recommendations on what you would consider a better card?
    >

    > "Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:18:44 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
    >> <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote:

    >> Is it worth it? The Audigy's system of resampling everything
    >> internally to 48KHz count it out as a quality card, though it has
    >> useful features. As better cards are so cheap, (often cheaper than
    >> an Audigy), why not install one.

    Audiphile 2496 . Soundtrax (Hoontech) range., etc, etc.

    geoff

    On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:24:21 -0500, "Morris" <don't_spam_me@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >Any recommendations on what you would consider a better card?

    The classic good, cheap card is the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 pci. At
    the current price, it's a steal.

    "Geoff Wood" <geoff@nospam-paf.co.nz> wrote in message
    > >> useful features. As better cards are so cheap, (often cheaper than
    > >> an Audigy), why not install one.

    Agreed.

    > Audiphile 2496 . Soundtrax (Hoontech) range., etc, etc.

    Try the ESI Juli@. Best bang for the buck IMO.

    MrT.

    > I would question the point of oputting any effort into this, considering
    the
    > amount of dickery that goes on in this range of cards (compulsory SRC in
    > DSP, etc).

    It's a bloody game card not a test/measurement card. However the SRC is a
    red herring. Just use it at it's designed rate, NOT 44.1!

    MrT.

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 00:51:04 +1100, "Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote:

    >It's a bloody game card not a test/measurement card. However the SRC is a
    >red herring. Just use it at it's designed rate, NOT 44.1!

    Fine, if that suits your needs. In practice, it's largely a 44.1KHz
    world out there.

    > >It's a bloody game card not a test/measurement card. However the SRC is a
    > >red herring. Just use it at it's designed rate, NOT 44.1!
    >
    > Fine, if that suits your needs. In practice, it's largely a 44.1KHz
    > world out there.

    NOT for test/measurement purposes it's NOT!

    MrT.

    <elephantcelebes@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Trevor Wilson wrote:
    >
    >> Here's the problem: I don't have a PCI extender card, so I have not
    >> performed any tests on the SB card, but I notice quite a few 4558
    > ICs. It
    >> would seem prudent and not too onerous a task to replace these with
    >> something a little better (I have a OP275s on hand, so they should
    > fit quite
    >> nicely). Has anyone modded the Audigy and what results were found?
    >
    > I found a good datasheet on OP275, but only sketchy info on the 4558.
    > It looks like the OP275 has lower voltage noise but probably higher
    > current noise. Thus, the noise tradeoff would depend on the exact
    > application circuit. In terms of other factors, the OP275 has a higher
    > slew rate, but the 4558 has sufficient slew rate for competent
    > performance.

    **Perhaps, but the card is not to used for listening. It is for test
    purposes.

    > Seems like a toss-up. Worth considering is the OPA2134.

    **Certainly. Unfortunately, I have no SOIC versions of the 2134 to hand. I
    only have 275s.

    Of course there
    > comes a point where your dynamic range is determined by your
    > microphones and recording space. Improving the measured performance
    > might be fun from a hobby standpoint (never one to discourage this,
    > since I am an electronics hobbyist myself), but of minimal practical
    > value.

    **Wrong. It may have great practical value. I wish to lower the THD and
    noise floor of the card as far as possible. And again: The card will not be
    used for listening.

    > One experiment might be to ground the input of the analog-to-digital
    > converter and see if the noise floor goes down. If it does not, then
    > superior op amps won't improve matters.

    **Perhaps.

    --
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

    "Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:18:44 +1100, "Trevor Wilson"
    > <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >>I just installed a SB Audigy into my workshop PC. It is a significant
    >>advance over the internal sound card, providing a good 20dB superior S/N
    >>ratio. This will be quite useful for test purposes. Emboldened, I have my
    >>heart (but not my bank balance) set on a Lynx, which seems to offer very
    >>superior performance.
    >>
    >>Here's the problem: I don't have a PCI extender card, so I have not
    >>performed any tests on the SB card, but I notice quite a few 4558 ICs. It
    >>would seem prudent and not too onerous a task to replace these with
    >>something a little better (I have a OP275s on hand, so they should fit
    >>quite
    >>nicely). Has anyone modded the Audigy and what results were found?
    >
    > Is it worth it? The Audigy's system of resampling everything
    > internally to 48KHz count it out as a quality card, though it has
    > useful features. As better cards are so cheap, (often cheaper than
    > an Audigy), why not install one.

    **I did not realise that about the Audigy. I guess I'll need to start saving
    for that Lynx.

    --
    Trevor Wilson
    www.rageaudio.com.au

    > > Is it worth it? The Audigy's system of resampling everything
    > > internally to 48KHz count it out as a quality card, though it has
    > > useful features. As better cards are so cheap, (often cheaper than
    > > an Audigy), why not install one.

    Use it at 48kHz!
    BTW, I don't think that applies to the Audigy 2 anyway?

    > **I did not realise that about the Audigy. I guess I'll need to start
    saving
    > for that Lynx.

    There are plenty of better cards than the SBA's for less money than the
    Lynx.
    (Many less than the SBA2!)

    Just pick the level of performance you need. If you can justify the Lynx,
    buy it.

    MrT.

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:45:13 +1100, "Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote:

    >Use it at 48kHz!
    >BTW, I don't think that applies to the Audigy 2 anyway?

    As I heard it, we hoped it wouldn't, but it does.

    I suspect it may be a difficult-to-avoid side effect of having an
    onboard synth and SoundFont player. That will require a known and
    fixed clock?

Sound Blaster Audio