Install Windows over RDP

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I've rented a few Dedicated servers in the past. The thing I liked was the ability to always "View them" before they load into the OS.

Like I could install OS using somethign similar to Remote Desktop.

I was wondering if I could do that to a PHYSCIAL computer in my other room.

Connected to my router via Ethernet.

It sort of becomes a pain running back in forth between my room and the other room to install OS's ect.

Solution
Not on a workstation OS. The rented servers are more than likley using virtual machine technology to host multiple OS's on a physical machine. this software gives control of the client OS from the boot menu (to select a start up disk / install windows)

this is not a function of windows but of virtual machine managemnt software.
so unless you wish to run multiple virtual OS's on a single computer i think ur out of luck

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Not on a workstation OS. The rented servers are more than likley using virtual machine technology to host multiple OS's on a physical machine. this software gives control of the client OS from the boot menu (to select a start up disk / install windows)

this is not a function of windows but of virtual machine managemnt software.
so unless you wish to run multiple virtual OS's on a single computer i think ur out of luck

Solution

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Either that or the Systems were using LILO (lights out) or similar interfaces to view the Server like RDP but from the point of BIOS onwards. Allowing you to install windows or even do BIOS reconfiguration remotely.
One of the lovely advantages of server grade hardware