Repeating SMS alarm?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

Hello,

I normally carry a pager for work (the Motorola Talkabout two-way,
otherwise known as the "Barbie laptop"), but recently decided to
experiment replacing it and redirecting work-related text messages to my
cellphone, a SE T610, as SMS messages.

So far, so good, except for one major annoyance; The T610 does not
appear to have any sort of "repeating" tone for incoming SMS messages.
This means that if I don't hear the phone go off when the message
arrives, I won't know I have a message until I physically check the
phone's display. Same thing goes for voicemail notifications (which are
delivered as SMS messages on T-Mobile's network). Compare to my pager,
which sounds every 60 seconds until the message is read. Unfortunately,
I've lost important pages because of this. :/

Are there any other GSM phones out there that have any sort of repeating
indicator for incoming SMS or voicemail notifications? I'm liking the
V600 (Bluetooth is important), but if I can't find a phone that does
this, I'm going to have to go back to the pager, unfortunately.

Thanks,

-Chris
5 answers Last reply
More about repeating alarm
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    "Christopher Woodfield" <me@privacy.org> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I normally carry a pager for work (the Motorola Talkabout two-way,
    > otherwise known as the "Barbie laptop"), but recently decided to
    > experiment replacing it and redirecting work-related text messages to my
    > cellphone, a SE T610, as SMS messages.
    >
    > So far, so good, except for one major annoyance; The T610 does not
    > appear to have any sort of "repeating" tone for incoming SMS messages.
    > This means that if I don't hear the phone go off when the message
    > arrives, I won't know I have a message until I physically check the
    > phone's display. Same thing goes for voicemail notifications (which are
    > delivered as SMS messages on T-Mobile's network). Compare to my pager,
    > which sounds every 60 seconds until the message is read. Unfortunately,
    > I've lost important pages because of this. :/
    >
    > Are there any other GSM phones out there that have any sort of repeating
    > indicator for incoming SMS or voicemail notifications? I'm liking the
    > V600 (Bluetooth is important), but if I can't find a phone that does
    > this, I'm going to have to go back to the pager, unfortunately.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Chris

    The V600 does exactly what you want it to. You can set it to vibrate or
    sound an audible tone as a reminder of missed calls or an SMS waiting.

    The repeat sounds about every 5 mins until you open the phone.

    I used to find the exact same problem as you with my old T68i. I would miss
    a call or SMS and only find it ages later when I checked the phone.

    And you cant even check it with a quick glance because the screen went onto
    the stupid clock screen saver display. So you had to press a button - but
    then that was no good because you had the keypad locked to stop the silly
    joystick dialling numbers in your pocket, so you had to press two buttons or
    wait for the 'Keypad Locked' message to go away.
    All this just to see if you had missed any calls or messages.
    Pah, glad I got rid of that silly little phone.

    But Motorola bless them, have included the facility, and a quick glance at
    the external display will tell you exactly what you have missed.

    Go get a Moto :-)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    "Christopher Woodfield" <me@privacy.org> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >

    > Are there any other GSM phones out there that have any sort of repeating
    > indicator for incoming SMS or voicemail notifications? I'm liking the
    > V600 (Bluetooth is important), but if I can't find a phone that does
    > this, I'm going to have to go back to the pager, unfortunately.

    My v600 on Orange (UK) gives a reminder bleep every so often if I receive a
    sms or an answerphone message and I don't read it after the initial alert.

    Dave
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    "Lofty" <paulloft@btconnect.com> wrote in message

    > "Christopher Woodfield" <me@privacy.org> wrote in message
    <<snip>>

    > > Are there any other GSM phones out there that have any sort of repeating
    > > indicator for incoming SMS or voicemail notifications? I'm liking the
    > > V600 (Bluetooth is important), but if I can't find a phone that does
    > > this, I'm going to have to go back to the pager, unfortunately.
    > >

    > The V600 does exactly what you want it to. You can set it to vibrate or
    > sound an audible tone as a reminder of missed calls or an SMS waiting.
    >
    > The repeat sounds about every 5 mins until you open the phone.

    <<snip>>

    Add to that the capability to set any annoying ringtone you like for SMS and
    answerphone alerts, then it's pretty hard to miss the message first time
    around. As Lofty said, the repeating reminder is just beep or vibrate.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    "Jim" <no-one@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:40f39e6b$1_5@127.0.0.1...

    > "Lofty" <paulloft@btconnect.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > "Christopher Woodfield" <me@privacy.org> wrote in message
    > <<snip>>
    > > >
    > > > Are there any other GSM phones out there that have any sort of
    repeating
    > > > indicator for incoming SMS or voicemail notifications? I'm liking the
    > > > V600 (Bluetooth is important), but if I can't find a phone that does
    > > > this, I'm going to have to go back to the pager, unfortunately.
    > > >

    > > The V600 does exactly what you want it to. You can set it to vibrate or
    > > sound an audible tone as a reminder of missed calls or an SMS waiting.
    > >
    > > The repeat sounds about every 5 mins until you open the phone.
    > >
    > <<snip>>
    >
    > Add to that the capability to set any annoying ringtone you like for SMS
    and
    > answerphone alerts, then it's pretty hard to miss the message first time
    > around. As Lofty said, the repeating reminder is just beep or vibrate.

    And add to that the fact the vibrate on the V600 is much more noticeable
    than that on the T710. You get a good strong thrill whenever it goes off -
    if you have the phone in the right place about your person that is ;-)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

    I know the v66 bleeps every few mins when you have a missed call or message.

    Jen

    "David" <teebe69_news@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Christopher Woodfield" <me@privacy.org> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >

    > > Are there any other GSM phones out there that have any sort of repeating
    > > indicator for incoming SMS or voicemail notifications? I'm liking the
    > > V600 (Bluetooth is important), but if I can't find a phone that does
    > > this, I'm going to have to go back to the pager, unfortunately.
    > >
    > My v600 on Orange (UK) gives a reminder bleep every so often if I receive
    > sms or an answerphone message and I don't read it after the initial alert.
    >
    > Dave

Ericsson Motorola