My internet is so screwed up.

Aluwolf

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I cannot get a single device to connect to my router . No computers, except for the one in my room would connect to it wired until i logged into the router and released dchp and renewed it.

I get intense slowdown and disconnections, and whenever i try to connect anything wireless i get a DNS error, with full bars.

It makes no sense. I'd guess the routers broken but stuff is connecting somewhat.

Edit: some more information below

I've got 2 thinkpads in the house, both running windows XP and both usually go on the wireless, I checked my internet options and its assigned to automatically detect DNS.

My computer is one i built myself and is running windows 8 beta. This is the one that would only work befoe i released the dchp.

The other one is a very old, almost non working windows computer we've had for countless years, it's connected with an ethernet cord and doesn't run.

I've tried the unplug everything, wait, plug it back in, going into command prompt and doing an ip release on renew on the 2 wired computers.

The laptops are both owned by my siblings school so command prompt is locked and i dont feel like breaking into admin.

my router is a linksys WRT54G, I've heard its very reliable and about 3 years old.
My company is time warner road runner.

tomatthe

Distinguished
I would hook one of the machines directly to the cable modem, and reboot the modem. If that machine is working normally then I would start by doing a full reset on your router, and then hook it back up to the modem. If its still not working properly you could update the firmware on the router, or try on of the custom firmwares for that model. If it's still not working you likely need a new router.