Dominion88345

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I need a little help with selecting a server that will have no trouble handling 50-100 users at a time. Also maybe an idea on some price ranges and so forth. I'm a little new with this side of the networking field (mainly knowledgeable in the personal computer area as far as networking) including businesses and such. Here are some questions I have:

-What server should I go with? Cost?
-What software should be installed on this server?

Any help is appreciated, thanks again.

Solution
what type of business is it for?

the computer hardware can be anywhere from $800 - $4000 depending on requirements

the OS Windows 2008 server with 70 user Licenses is about is about $2500 - $3000

if you are up for it, you can save the money for the OS buy using a Linux OS with Samba (Samba will be seen by Windows workstations as a Domain server) with a price tag of FREE. However there could be a compatibility problem depending on if softwares need to run on the server.

Dominion88345

Honorable
May 11, 2012
see i'm not really that sure, there will be about 70 work stations and i'm trying to keep costs down so they will be using xp pro. I want to say just a database server, and currently there is nothing installed, hardware or software as of yet. Also, i'm just getting some ideas across, nothing is set in stone. So each of these work stations just needs to have access to the internet, be able to print on the network printers and have access to basic files.

what type of business is it for?

the computer hardware can be anywhere from $800 - $4000 depending on requirements

the OS Windows 2008 server with 70 user Licenses is about is about $2500 - $3000

if you are up for it, you can save the money for the OS buy using a Linux OS with Samba (Samba will be seen by Windows workstations as a Domain server) with a price tag of FREE. However there could be a compatibility problem depending on if softwares need to run on the server.

Solution

Dominion88345

Honorable
May 11, 2012
The information you have given is actually alright, all I really needed was just a few of the basics. I will research the Windows 2008 server some more.

And I have looked a little at the Linux side and cost is definitely a plus, but like you said, there could be a compatibility issue considering MS office 2007 will be incorporated. Granted, Linux OS is very all around and can be configured for just about anything, I'd rather skip all of that if possible.

But your help is very much appreciated and this gets me going in the right direction. Thank you!