Wiring new (and existing) addition for sound

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
February 7, 2005 10:52:21 PM

Hi,
I'm in the process of wiring a new space (addition) to my home. I've
been reading a lot on the subject and would like to ask for comment or
input on several questions I have.
I've read several posts which recommend the creation of "boxes" between
existing ceiling joists, stuffing them with insulation prior to
drywall. Any comments on this approach?
I also plan on adding speakers to other rooms (not currently included
in the renovation) and was looking for tips regarding sound
containment. I can get the speaker wire there and was hoping to just
cut the appropriate size hole in the ceiling, fish the wire and install
the speaker. I also wanted to know if there would be any issues
installing a volume control in the same box whihc currently houses a
light switch.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 2:29:36 PM

"Jerry" <traversg@wk-us.com> wrote in message

> I'm in the process of wiring a new space (addition) to my home. I've
> been reading a lot on the subject and would like to ask for comment or
> input on several questions I have.

> I've read several posts which recommend the creation of "boxes"
> between existing ceiling joists, stuffing them with insulation prior
> to drywall. Any comments on this approach?

The easiest, simplest wiring installation is the wire you install before
drywall.

Bulk cable is also relatively inexpensive.

Even if you don't put in the termination boxes, you are wise to put the
cables into the wall before drywalling.

I am basically refurbishing a ca 1500 square foot floor of my house. I plan
to create a designated wiring closet and then run wiring in a star
configuration to that closet. I plan to run two coax and two runs of CAT5E
from at least one location in every room.

> I also plan on adding speakers to other rooms (not currently included
> in the renovation) and was looking for tips regarding sound
> containment.

Maximizing the sound transmission resistance of a wall is a matter of how
much you want to pay and how far you want to go. A lot of people do a lot of
rooms with offset studs and insulation, even in interior walls.

> I can get the speaker wire there and was hoping to just
> cut the appropriate size hole in the ceiling, fish the wire and
> install the speaker.

Given the low price of stereo receivers, I plan to simply station a receiver
at every location where I want to have an audio system, and drive a
conventional local pair of speakers. The coax outlet(s) will provide an
antenna for the receiver, and the CAT5 can be used to distribute audio from
a central source, or provide network access to a central music file server.

>I also wanted to know if there would be any
> issues installing a volume control in the same box whihc currently
> houses a light switch.

I wouldn't mix low voltage and high voltage wiring in the same box. However,
I question the cost/benefit of centrally-powered music systems. A good
stereo speaker volume control costs about $25, but you can get a cheap
stereo receiver for under $80 and it lets you control a lot more than just
volume.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 6:54:55 PM

Jerry wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm in the process of wiring a new space (addition) to my home. I've
> been reading a lot on the subject and would like to ask for comment or
> input on several questions I have.
> I've read several posts which recommend the creation of "boxes" between
> existing ceiling joists, stuffing them with insulation prior to
> drywall. Any comments on this approach?
> I also plan on adding speakers to other rooms (not currently included
> in the renovation) and was looking for tips regarding sound
> containment. I can get the speaker wire there and was hoping to just
> cut the appropriate size hole in the ceiling, fish the wire and install
> the speaker. I also wanted to know if there would be any issues
> installing a volume control in the same box whihc currently houses a
> light switch.
> Thanks in advance for any input.

If you are not sure what you are wanting to do, install empty boxes
with empty conduit to those boxes from some convenient access point.
Then you can pull in whatever cable you need when you need it.

--Dale
Related resources
February 10, 2005 1:20:49 PM

Thanks for the input. I'm still a little confused (and have a fwe more
questions.. surprise there, huh). My reference to building boxes in the
ceiling was in regard to the speakers. Was the following: "A lot of
people do a lot of rooms with offset studs and insulation, even in
interior walls" in response to my question regarding sound containment?
What does "offset studs" mean? My main concern is signal noise with
regard to the speaker wire. I did not run it through conduit (and it's
a little late to try) but my AC (high voltage) is running through rigid
metal conduit and I was wondering if this provided any shielding that
would minimize the interference should the speaker wire runnning
alongside. The max length I have where the speaker wire is running next
to the AC conduit is approx. 8 feet. Thanks in advance for any input.
February 10, 2005 7:19:51 PM

I really appreciate the input, you've saved me a lot of concern (and
unnecessary re-work). Why are you against the idea of boxing out where
the speaker will be installed?
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 9:49:39 PM

> Thanks for the input. I'm still a little confused (and have a fwe more
> questions.. surprise there, huh). My reference to building boxes in
> the ceiling was in regard to the speakers.

Yeah, but I'm against it.

>Was the following: "A lot
> of people do a lot of rooms with offset studs and insulation, even in
> interior walls" in response to my question regarding sound
> containment?

Yes.

>What does "offset studs" mean?

You build a two-sided walls with two sets of studs that are offset from each
other, so that the studs don't conduct sound across the wall so easily.

> My main concern is signal
> noise with regard to the speaker wire.

Shouldn't be a problem. The speaker voltages are relatively high and their
impedance is very low.

> I did not run it through
> conduit (and it's a little late to try) but my AC (high voltage) is
> running through rigid metal conduit and I was wondering if this
> provided any shielding that would minimize the interference should
> the speaker wire running alongside.

Wouldn't be a problem, regardless. String a speaker cable next to an
extension cord on the floor and see what I mean.

> The max length I have where the
> speaker wire is running next to the AC conduit is approx. 8 feet.

Repeat, problems are not expected.

> Thanks in advance for any input.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 10:34:19 AM

> I really appreciate the input, you've saved me a lot of concern (and
> unnecessary re-work). Why are you against the idea of boxing out where
> the speaker will be installed?

My problem is with the basic idea of installing speakers in the wall, not
boxing them out.
!