Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cheapest Hardware for Wireless Access Point

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 21, 2012 9:41:38 AM

Basically, I need a very cheap device that will allow me to setup a wireless access point
I have an Android phone that I got recently and sadly, there's no way to get it to connect to my laptop's ad-hoc network without rooting (which I don't want to do anytime soon).
So I need a proper wireless access point and buying new hardware seems to be the only way.

I've already tried using Connectify on my laptop but was unsuccessful. (my wireless adapter is supported and has the correct drivers but my laptop still has Vista so it doesn't work)

I don't need a wireless router or switch as such (already have a switch cos the router from the ISP didn't have enough ports) so if I can save money by not having those features (eg. just the the access point), that would be great.
It doesn't have to be the fastest (I'm certainly not expecting it to be considering I want the cheapest) but it should be reliable and preferably, from a decent brand. It does need to support at least 802.11g.

I also live in Australia so stores like Newegg are not an option for me :( 
However, if someone can give me model numbers etc. I can hunt down the product in Australia shops.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I made this clear, you CAN refer me to links on Newegg etc. if its a good product, I just won't be able to buy it from there. Instead, I will look it up in stores in Australia and get back on whether its cheaper etc.

This is the cheapest one I've found so far: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR...
In a local store, I can buy it for $33.

Thank you in advance.
April 21, 2012 10:52:49 AM

OK I've found one even cheaper.
This one: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR...
For a mere $23.
At this point, I'm not expecting anything cheaper to be good.
So my question now is, will this be sufficient for what I plan to do (eg. have a working Wi-Fi connection so I can actually access the Android Store and properly use apps that require internet without having to get a data plan)?

And this is just a side question :p  but why does the networking section have such few replies?
Score
April 21, 2012 4:49:41 PM

AMD X6850 said:

And this is just a side question :p  but why does the networking section have such few replies?

Yours is more of a shopping question and nobody will stick their neck out to find the "cheapest" because someone else will find one even cheaper. Shopping for prices is usually left to the person doing the buying so they may be content ... or bummed about what they got for themselves.

Score
Related resources
April 22, 2012 1:04:05 AM

lol but my question has changed now so the title is misleading.
Is there any way for me to rename this thread so I don't have to create a new one?
I understand what you mean about the buying part, so I've already chosen the product I want to buy.
Now I only want someone to confirm that it will be enough for my purposes (cos I don't know much about wireless stuff).

So reposting:
OK I've found a wireless router to buy.
This one: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR...
For a mere $23.
So my question now is, will this be sufficient for what I plan to do (eg. have a working Wi-Fi connection so I can actually access the Android Store and properly use apps that require internet without having to get a data plan)?
Score
April 22, 2012 2:24:45 AM

AMD X6850 said:

It's the "not having to get a data plan" part that throws me. Will you be attempting to acquire Internet access from a nearby store to spare yourself the cost of subscribing to a local Internet Service Provider?

Questions for that advice gets a person banned, and those who provide positive help get a couple weeks off. It may be a matter of your choice of words, or you really don't know enough about computers and WiFi to know how to present the problem you are facing properly. Of course if the Android Store is miles away, your question is moot anyway as a consumer WiFi product won't have the performance to connect at such a distance anyhow.
Score
April 22, 2012 2:44:03 AM

Nah I think I worded it very badly if you interpreted it like that. Because I DEFINITELY do not plan on stealing internet.
I will try and make it very clear now:

I already have internet from my ISP (broadband), however the network in my home is entirely wired (ethernet). I recently got a new Android phone and in order for some applications to function properly, the phone itself needs to connect to the internet.

However, for reasons unknown, Android can only connect to the internet either through Wi-Fi or through Network Data (I don't know the proper name for it - the data that comes through your sim card from your mobile provider).
I don't have a data plan for my phone and don't plan to get one cos I DON'T need to use internet on my phone OUTSIDE my home. This means that internet costs a lot if I use it on my phone.

What I DO want to do, is to create a Wi-Fi network in my home, using my OWN internet (the same internet that the computer I'm currently typing on is using) but in order to this, I need to buy a wireless router and connect it to my wired home network.

So now my question is, given what I need to use it for, is this wireless router sufficient: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR...

It's very cheap, which is why I'm hesitant but I don't want to be spending a lot of money on a wireless router I'll only be using for my phone.
All I plan on doing with this wireless router once purchased, is connecting it to the modem I got from my ISP and setting up a Wi-Fi network for my phone to connect to when I'm at home.

If there's anything I still need to clarify, please say so.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread.

EDIT: Rereading, I think you just misunderstood what I meant by "data plan". I meant "mobile data plan". I already have a broadband connection for the computers in my house but because its all wired (I don't have an existing wireless router/access point), there is no way for my phone to gain access to it. This is why I want to buy a wireless router.
Score

Best solution

April 22, 2012 3:19:44 AM

AMD X6850 said:
Nah I think I worded it very badly if you interpreted it like that. Because I DEFINITELY do not plan on stealing internet.

Whew!!! Glad to hear that!

I will try and make it very clear now:

I already have internet from my ISP (broadband), however the network in my home is entirely wired (ethernet). I recently got a new Android phone and in order for some applications to function properly, the phone itself needs to connect to the internet.

However, for reasons unknown, Android can only connect to the internet either through Wi-Fi or through Network Data (I don't know the proper name for it - the data that comes through your sim card from your mobile provider).

That's because they don't want a wired Internet/data connection, so wireless is the only method.

I don't have a data plan for my phone and don't plan to get one cos I DON'T need to use internet on my phone OUTSIDE my home. This means that internet costs a lot if I use it on my phone.

Yup, so far, so good.

What I DO want to do, is to create a Wi-Fi network in my home, using my OWN internet (the same internet that the computer I'm currently typing on is using) but in order to this, I need to buy a wireless router and connect it to my wired home network.

Exactly.

So now my question is, given what I need to use it for, is this wireless router sufficient: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WR...

It's very cheap, which is why I'm hesitant but I don't want to be spending a lot of money on a wireless router I'll only be using for my phone.

It's cheap because it's not the latest thing, but looks to have everything you'll need.

All I plan on doing with this wireless router once purchased, is connecting it to the modem I got from my ISP and setting up a Wi-Fi network for my phone to connect to when I'm at home.

If there's anything I still need to clarify, please say so.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread.

You are looking at buying exactly what you need. Your phone can use WiFi or 3G/4G (as capable), so to connect using WiFi is perfect for your use.

EDIT: Rereading, I think you just misunderstood what I meant by "data plan". I meant "mobile data plan". I already have a broadband connection for the computers in my house but because its all wired (I don't have an existing wireless router/access point), there is no way for my phone to gain access to it. This is why I want to buy a wireless router.

It's perfect. Connect an Ethernet patch cable from your cable modem or DSL box to the WAN socket of the new router and connect your home network to any numbered port and you are good to go. If you have neighbors, set up WPA2 security as instructed in the users manual.
April 22, 2012 3:47:34 AM

OK thank you very much, you've been very helpful.
I've got exams coming up so I won't be able to buy this for about two weeks (I'm impatient though =3) but I have all the information I need now.
Score
April 22, 2012 3:48:02 AM

Best answer selected by AMD X6850.
Score
April 22, 2012 3:55:39 AM

I think you'll be pleased with your new network setup. Good Luck on your exams and thanks for the vote.

:) 
Score
April 22, 2012 12:14:10 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!