cd changer- had to switch to analog output- will I lose au..

to plaly mp3's, my Sony CD changer does not use the optical output.
Will i lose sound quality playing regular cd's using the analog
output instead of the optical/digital?
Thanks
DoctorJ
4 answers Last reply
More about changer switch analog output lose

    jdsmd@verizon.net wrote:
    > to plaly mp3's, my Sony CD changer does not use the optical output.
    > Will i lose sound quality playing regular cd's using the analog
    > output instead of the optical/digital?
    > Thanks
    > DoctorJ

    There's no generally true answer to this question.
    In one case you are employing the DAC and associated filters
    of your receiver, in the other case,
    of your player. Either one might be better than the other...or
    they could sound the same.

    --

    -S
    If you're a nut and knock on enough doors, eventually someone will open one,

    In article <u2eg01pup4djdk67j00cckgbj8706rcdrf@4ax.com>,
    jdsmd@verizon.net wrote:

    > to plaly mp3's, my Sony CD changer does not use the optical output.
    > Will i lose sound quality playing regular cd's using the analog
    > output instead of the optical/digital?
    > Thanks
    > DoctorJ

    Do you hear that you're losing sound quality when you listen to mp3's as
    opposed to cd's?

    --
    Cyrus

    *coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

    In <u2eg01pup4djdk67j00cckgbj8706rcdrf@4ax.com>, on 02/08/05
    at 03:58 AM, jdsmd@verizon.net said:

    >to plaly mp3's, my Sony CD changer does not use the optical output.
    >Will i lose sound quality playing regular cd's using the analog
    >output instead of the optical/digital?

    Listen to the results and decide for yourself.

    There is no "correct" answer to this question. Many receivers
    automatically switch to the digital input when a digital signal is
    present. If this is true for your receiver, plug both analog and
    digital CD player outputs into your receiver. MP3s will play analog and
    CD will play digital. A decent generalization is that the newest design
    will sound better -- especially if there are five or more years between
    the designs. If the receiver and CD player are the same age, it's
    anybody's guess which one will sound better.

    Some receivers will switch between digital and anolog jacks for a given
    input if you press the input button successively, some have a dedicated
    button for this activity, others will need a trip down the set-up
    menus.

    spam: uce@ftc.gov
    13> (Barry Mann)

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 03:58:38 GMT, jdsmd@verizon.net wrote:

    >to plaly mp3's, my Sony CD changer does not use the optical output.
    >Will i lose sound quality playing regular cd's using the analog
    >output instead of the optical/digital?

    Who knows? Either way it has to go through a DAC. Can you tell the
    difference?

    N.B the difference between two DACs is likely to be much smaller than
    the difference between CD quality and MP3 quality.

Sony Switch Audio CD-Rom MP3