What wireless repeater is compatible with an SMC Gateway

draunig@snet

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I have an SMC Gateway from Xfinity and need a range extender. The NetGear extender does not access the internet though it hooks up. No one knows why but I suspect that the MAC library does not have the extender listed. NetGear has no idea and SMC is useless. I cannot access the MAC. Is there a range extender that is compatible with the SMC gateway?

draunig@snet

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I tried both by WPS and hardwire. I can ping the gatgeway, ping the repeater and ping the gateway through the repeater. I can ping the internet through the gateway but I cannot ping the internet through the repeater. I cannot access the gateway MAC so I have no idea if the repeater is listed but suspect it is not. The IP scheme is 10.---

draunig@snet

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Thanks emerald. That makes sense. I'm not sure why a universal NetGear range extender would have this problem. How do I make sure that the next extender is compatible to SMC? SMC doesn't seem to know.

did you manually change the IP on the Netgear to match the IP scheme of the SMC?

I don't see why the Netgear would not work with the SMC except if it would not allow you to change to an 10. IP scheme.

the only other option is to change the IP scheme of the SMC to a 192. scheme