WMA - Is this a defective audio format?

Last response: in Home Audio
February 8, 2005 11:51:05 AM

I have created a library of thousands of MP3s from audio CDs without
much trouble, but when I try to use the theoretically-superior WMA
format I often run into problems.

For example, after I copied my first CD in the WMA format (probably way
back in 2001 or early 2002) I found that the WMA files had some bad
noise in it. In 2003 I tried again recorded a couple tracks to WMA.
These sound fine, but when I play them through my Creative Nomad player
I have a big problem when the battery begins running low. The song
will play fine for about 10 seconds then the player will suddenly
shreak loudly and I have to yank out my headphones. Now the other day
I installed the software that came with my new Dell 20GB DJ and
foolishly decided to try the format again. When I played back those
tracks I heard a lot of noise in the recording when played on both the
DJ and through my PC.

I'm not stingy with my bitrates either. I always use a setting greater
than 128 for my WMAs and something above 200 for my MP3s (the benefit
of WMA was supposed to be its ability to sound like an MP3 of roughly
twice the bitrate)

So what's the problem? I've used three different systems over the
course of several years on XP systems (both home and office) and the
various versions of Windows Media Player that have been available over
that period of time and have found the WMA format to be a risky choice
for a compressed audio format. Is WMA basically DOA or does it
actually work?
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 12:06:11 PM

scs0 <scs0@vol.com> wrote:
>I have created a library of thousands of MP3s from audio CDs without
>much trouble, but when I try to use the theoretically-superior WMA
>format I often run into problems.

>For example, after I copied my first CD in the WMA format (probably way
>back in 2001 or early 2002) I found that the WMA files had some bad
>noise in it. In 2003 I tried again recorded a couple tracks to WMA.
>These sound fine, but when I play them through my Creative Nomad player
>I have a big problem when the battery begins running low. The song
>will play fine for about 10 seconds then the player will suddenly
>shreak loudly and I have to yank out my headphones. Now the other day
>I installed the software that came with my new Dell 20GB DJ and
>foolishly decided to try the format again. When I played back those
>tracks I heard a lot of noise in the recording when played on both the
>DJ and through my PC.

>I'm not stingy with my bitrates either. I always use a setting greater
>than 128 for my WMAs and something above 200 for my MP3s (the benefit
>of WMA was supposed to be its ability to sound like an MP3 of roughly
>twice the bitrate)

>So what's the problem? I've used three different systems over the
>course of several years on XP systems (both home and office) and the
>various versions of Windows Media Player that have been available over
>that period of time and have found the WMA format to be a risky choice
>for a compressed audio format. Is WMA basically DOA or does it
>actually work?

Beware the legal issues surrounding WMA format, esp DRM etc..
Mp3 ofcourse has it issues aswell.
OGG is a free alternative (http://www.vorbis.com/faq.psp#what). Less hassle if
you want to use it, legal wise.
!