partition with hardrive

trueboyz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
Hey, can someone tell me if partitioning your hardrive would decrease its performance? If i would cut my hardrive into about 4 partitions, would i get the same speed for each? How many partitions would one able to cut on a hardrive max?

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
No it won't decrease your performance, maybe increase it if your pagefile is on it's own partition. You can make oh 23 or so I think or until you run out of letters in the alphabet, in other words...more than anyone needs.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

trueboyz

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
i see. 'cause before when i tried to partition to like 4 parts on my hardrive. It seems that the files transfer slower or something. or maybe it's just my hardrive.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i think the OS associates the clusters of the disk sequentially according to the created partitions.
i.e. for 4 partitions, the first 2 partitions being associated to the first half of the disk are nearly full max disk speed rate but the 2 others are contrary under the average disk speed.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes! If one partition crashes the data on the others are still safe. I keep the OS on the C partition and all my MP3 and stuff on another, then games on a 3rd Etc. When it’s time to format I just format C, then load windows from the copy on my D partition, it’s way faster.

Cya

<font color=green>1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4? 4.Nxe5?? Qg5 5.Nxf7 Qxg2 6.Rf1 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nf3#</font color=green>