Screen buzz on Tungsten E

April 27, 2004 5:17:37 PM

Is there any way to stop or decrease the screen buzz on a Tungsten T|E.
I have two (don't ask) and they both do it, one more than the other.

-z-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac

More about : screen buzz tungsten

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 7:50:54 PM

# zoara

> Is there any way to stop or decrease the screen buzz on a Tungsten T|E.
> I have two (don't ask) and they both do it, one more than the other.
>
> -z-

It's insanely annoying, isn't it? I find it's very directional, by facing
my palm in different directions I can reduce it slightly.
Is there some kind of cellophane screen protector that would dull the
sound perhaps?

--
Toby
asktoby.com

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:17:37 +0100, zoara wrote:

> Is there any way to stop or decrease the screen buzz on a Tungsten T|E.

Assuming that the buzz is actually caused by the screen, this might
work. If you can disassemble the TE and can access the back of the
screen, then it stick something to it, preferably non-rigid (putty
or silicon sealant would be better than a penny). The reasoning is
that the screen itself is acting like the cone of a speaker, and it
should produce the loudest sound if its resonant frequency is close
to that of the electronic signals controlling the screen. By
attaching one or more blobs to the back of the screen, you lower its
resonant frequency, hopefully enough so the sound is no longer
audible. If these blobs also are able to contact the back of the
case, the dampening effect should increase, sort of like the way a
guitarist can mute the sound by inserting tissues or cloth between
the strings of the guitar.

While it's probably the screen that's the culprit, other vibrating
objects that have been known to produce annoying sounds are small
transformers. The same treatment would help here - give it a good
dose of silicone sealant or something similar (whatever you use,
make sure it's non-conductive - you don't want to use anything
containing finely ground metallic particles.
!