Single Ended and Balanced

Last response: in Home Audio
February 9, 2005 11:25:18 PM

Heya,

I recently purchased a CS5361 analog to digital converter chip to
implement in a USB audio recording interface I'm building. The chip
accepts balanced/differential inputs, however, what must I do if I'd
like to attach a single-ended source?

Would it be sufficient just to directly hook the two single-ended
conductors up to the AIN- and AIN+ (analog-in plus and minus) pins on
the chip? or do I need some sort of circuitry to take in the mic's
signal and produce an oposite phased signal to feed through the AIN-
pin?

Thanks!

Regards
Matt Carpenter

More about : single ended balanced

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:56:06 AM

mattcarpenter@gmail.com wrote:

> Heya,
>
> I recently purchased a CS5361 analog to digital converter chip to
> implement in a USB audio recording interface I'm building. The chip
> accepts balanced/differential inputs, however, what must I do if I'd
> like to attach a single-ended source?
>
> Would it be sufficient just to directly hook the two single-ended
> conductors up to the AIN- and AIN+ (analog-in plus and minus) pins on
> the chip? or do I need some sort of circuitry to take in the mic's
> signal and produce an oposite phased signal to feed through the AIN-
> pin?

The answer should be on the data sheet. There's usually plenty of info on
interfacing.

Most differential input converters produce their best performance when
driven differentially anyway - so I'll guess you'll need to add that
phase inverter.

A mic level signal is too low to connect directly to an ADC btw,

Graham
!