Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vaio recovery discs for PCV-6603

Last response: in Windows 7
April 4, 2012 9:27:00 AM

Where can I get the recovery discs for a Sony Vaio PCV-6603, the Sony tech support site does not even recognise the number, also where can I get a replacement ethernet adapter?

Thanks

Tony Smith

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
April 4, 2012 10:14:56 AM

Sonys sometimes have two model numbers, one for marketing and one for part inventory. Check if you can see any other identifications on the machine or in the papers.

But you won't find downloadable recovery disks anywere. You can contact support, and place an order for the DVD(s).
By the way, are you sure that the recovery image doesn't reside on a hidden partition of the hard disk drive? No option for it in the recovery menu?

I don't know about the replacement adapter. But if it's urgent, I'm sure you can get an USB adapter or PCMCIA card for the same function. (This is a laptop we're talking about, isn't it?)

April 11, 2012 5:19:33 AM

Best answer selected by styxman.
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2012 5:23:56 AM

szaboaz said:
Sonys sometimes have two model numbers, one for marketing and one for part inventory. Check if you can see any other identifications on the machine or in the papers.

But you won't find downloadable recovery disks anywere. You can contact support, and place an order for the DVD(s).
By the way, are you sure that the recovery image doesn't reside on a hidden partition of the hard disk drive? No option for it in the recovery menu?

I don't know about the replacement adapter. But if it's urgent, I'm sure you can get an USB adapter or PCMCIA card for the same function. (This is a laptop we're talking about, isn't it?)

Thank you for your reply, it is not a laptop but an all in one desk top. I have looked into drive D: and found that there is what seems to be a back up of the original info, but I can't find a way to use it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 11, 2012 7:18:55 AM

Oh, a desktop, I see.

I googled around again, and I found this forum post:
http://www.designstudioschool.com/pcv-pcv6603-drivers-s...

They say that it's the same model as "PCV-V1/G", which does have a support page:
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PCV-V1_G

I was interested to see a service manual or user guide in the hope that they contain accurate information about recovery possibilities. I've found this "Hardware Guide":
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Desktops/V1/V1_H_EN...
On page 8 it's talking about a "VAIO Recovery and Documentation Disk", which also supposed to create a copy of a documentation file called "A Guide to Troubleshooting/Using the VAIO Recovery and Documentation Disk".

There is also a "Software Guide":
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Desktops/V1/V1_S_EN...
On page 11-12 it mentions that troubleshooting disk and guide again. It also mentions that C:\Drivers folder is supposed to contain the drivers to install should any problem occur to the installed ones.

Okay, so you don't have this disk. Well, what I have said previously: you can probably order it from Sony support, because it's not a downloadable item, unless someone with the same model sees this post and uploads it for you to the internet.

Do you see a "My Documentation" icon on the desktop? Do you have a copy of that recovery guide? I'd like to see it, because I still haven't given up the hope that it's possible to do a recovery without the contents of the DVD. But the guide should be unambiguous about that.

What are those files in your D:\ partition? Could you mention filenames, or maybe post a screenshot or two? If they are a recovery image, then all you need to do is to find out, how to restore it. Maybe they can be restored by going into a special recovery menu at startup time (by pressing a key on the keyboard, usually a Function button). Maybe they can be restored by a program available from other sources, like PowerQuest Drive Image.

Your other option is a clean install of a Windows XP. The drivers are in C:\Drivers, as I mentioned, and if they weren't there, then they can also be downloaded from the product support page. Apart from the drivers, there's just a bunch of bloatware, some of that are also downloadable, some of them are long out of date, for example you probably should install a fresh version of Java, flash, Adobe Reader, etc. Your Windows XP should be SP3, with a recent version of Internet Explorer (not the antique version 6), but automatic update should take care of that.

About the failing network card: maybe it's just a software problem? Reinstalling the network driver should help. If it's really a hardware problem, then I still think your best option is an USB or PCMCIA network card (I can see that there's place for a PCMCIA card.)

Best of luck.
m
l
!