Sb__78

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I have a small network ran through a bt hub. My wireless signal strength varies drastically often cutting devices off from the network. Bt has said they cannot help as I do not have a device connected via a wired connection and that is what is causing my problems. Is this true or are they fobbing me off as I fail to understand why not having a pc wired in to the hub prevents a stable wifi signal.

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Good old BT - no-one lies quite as well as they do. Just to prove them wrong, cable one machine for a day and when that makes no difference at all go back to them and tell them so. Meantime, check the channel number the hub is broadcasting on and match it to one of the receiving adapters. You can change both ends of the signal to automatic if it's possible.

Are you in an area where BT is digging up lots of roads to drag their archaic infrastructure into this century?

Sb__78

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
No I'm still on the 'pre Internet' wiring! With a speed of 3mb from an 'upto' 20mb service? I have tried all 11 channels and eleven seems to be he best all rounder which only looses signal 2/3 times a day. Think I'll look at another provider

My wife has BT BB on one of our lines and I have Sky BB on the other. I read your post and their excuse with interest and have asked her to run wired for a day or so because she's been getting dropped out a dozen times a days and I put it down to the work underground hereabouts. Just in case there's anything in it, I suggest you try that as well.