Arakel

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2001
Hi!

I've been having problems with my DMA enabling for my HD and DVD drive. My ATI diagnostics doesn't detect either of them as being DMA enabled; I knew how to enable DMA under 98, but I can't work out how to do it in XP for love nor money; can anyone help me?

System is:

Epox 8kha+
Athlon XP 1900+
512mb DDR RAM
80 gig HD (Think it's a Maxtor)
ATI Radeon 64mg DDR VIVO
CTX DVD Drive. (standard model)

Any ideas?

Check the drives under your device manager. Make sure they're set to 'Use DMA if available'. Also check to see what mode each drive is using currently; it is possible the ATi program isn't properly detecting these settings. (Especially considering this is XP we're talking about).

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DMA settings in Win2K or WinXP are not accessed under each individual device in the Device Manager, but under the properties of each individual <i>channel</i> in the IDE Controller. It is normal for devices on the secondary channel to come up as PIO mode until manually changed by the user. Choose DMA if available, and reboot.

If this doesn't allow the devices to have the correct DMA settings, you may need to download and install updated drivers for your mainboard chipset.

Make sure that each IDE channel is enabled in the BIOS, including any UDMA/DMA settings that may be listed.

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>