2 HD to raid0 swapping issue

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Hi, Guys.

here is my issue:

how can i switch my 40GB of data originating from a 40GB HD to the same HD but join to another same 40GB HD to permit to insert the HD Raid0 mode with an array of 2 HD?

because the issue here is that we cant create a new promise HD array without destroy partitions & all the previous data of each disk which would be normally lost therefor.

i have an asus a7v133 Raid mb & 2 IBM 60GXP 40GB HD.
but i dont want to lose my data by this handling.

thanks for any comments.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You need to use a utility like norton Ghost. First do a drive image of the single hdd. ( the easiest route would be to have a third HDD temporarily to clone this drive too.). Next, add the second HDD and create your array. Third, take the image and transfer it back to the striped array.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
yes, i knew that. its a good solution apart the fact i have to buy a third hard disk.
its just this that i would like to avoid but i dont know how can i do that.

i think there is no possibility aside maybe a kind of trick?!?

the unique problem is this enforced partitioning from promise.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Got a friend with a network? Bring the machine over and backup to network. Even just a friend with some space and a NIC you could use a crossover cable......

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
create few CDs for 40GB of data?!? :)
can you give me your new compression tool?

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i have bought another 40GB (3 at whole) but now i have also the second disk half fill. :) :C