Reinstalled win7 now i cant network current pc

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hello all. ok so long story short, the time came up for me to reinstall windows and i did.
Problem now is that, the pc im having problems with now, which is my main pc/work station, doesnt want to allow other pcs
on the network permission to view/edit files...

So in my small home network, i have my main PC, my mac, and another PC im using as ahtpc kind of which is attached to my tv,
my wifes netbook, a ps3 and a 360 etc..

the main function i want to be able to have is communication between my main PC, my mac, and my htpc.

Now, when i re-installed win7 on my main pc, i rejoined all networks, granted access(read/write) to other pcs and pretty much at this point i gave EVERYTHING possible access just to see and nothing.

to be clear, all the pcs AND mac see eachother but on the PC side of things, when i click on the main pc from the htpc, i get a "windows cannot access blah blah -- you do not have permission " etc...

the mac too has problems but i guess thats for another thread.

My main focus is to get all these talking again. As of now, they all see eachother but are not talking.

Any ideas as to whats going on/what im doing wrong etc?

thanks in advanced.

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Okay, can you help me check some things. Make sure you shared the folder, added the user names to advanced sharing under the sharing tab, and add user's name to the security tab.

There is something else you can do if the above method doesnt work. Since this is a home network, try to allow access to "everyone" instead of only the selected ones. There wont be any harm unless you have unsecured connection.

Windows 7 seems to need longer to adapt to settings changes so don't be too quick to assume what you just did hasn't worked. Quite a few restarts might be needed after the changes. Hopefully, you aren't using the Homegroup and the requirement for all other systems to have passwords has been disabled.

What's the problem with the Mac and was it networking well before the W7 reinstallation?

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Well the problem as far as Win7 to Win7 has been fixed. The problem was that somehow, it had random users added and had everything BUT the "homegroup"

so i added that to all the folders i wanted to share and they worked all across.

As far as windows 7 to Mac (osx) the same thing , from windows 7, when i go to start, then type in "run", then
type in "\\ 192.168.x.xxx"

the log on window comes up which means it knows theres a system on the other side as oppose to a "cant find it" mssg or it hanging there for like 5 minutes before windows letting you know it couldn't find it. so the logon window DOES appear
but wont accept my logon details. i enter my username and password and nada.

Now, when i try to log on from the mac side of things to win7. it goes through just fine.

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hm.. This is weird. Anyway im not too sure how the Mac OS work, is there like windows OS, where you have to be administrator to grant access to the PC? So likewise for your Mac. Did you keyed in the Mac's administrator user and password when you are entering from Win7?

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Yes, when im on Windows 7 and do "run>ip addy of mac", the log on window appears, i the proceed to enter the macs username,pass and nothing...

now when i do it from the Mac into win7, the same thing happens, on the macs screen, the log on box appears, i type in the username/pass of win 7 and it lets me in no problem.

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Okay, so what happens when you typed in the user and account name of the Win7 user that you granted access to, you have to make sure you enable sharing for that particular user to log in on your Mac. For win 7, you allowed 'everyone' for the permission right? For Mac, im not too sure if there's anything along that line that you can choose.