What do I need for a second router

N11Ckk123472

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Okay here is my situation so bare with me.

I have my router and modem in my basement and I built a new gaming computer which is in my room (2 floors up) and obviously I barely get a decent wireless connection for web browsing, but not anything for games. Is there a way I can install a router in my upstairs, and run with a wired connection?

I've been looking a bit for tutorial but all I can find is people saying to hardwire another router from my original one, which I cant do because I can't just run a couple hundred feet of cable around my house.

Anything I can do to get a good/lagless connection for gaming?

I've heard of powerline but its a little out of my budget...I already have a another second router that I would LOVE to install in my room, or at least on the same floor

Thank You for your time

RealBeast

Titan
You can run a CAT5e cable up to your room from your main router and then use your second router as an access point/switch -- just turn off the DHCP on the upstairs router, use the same SSID and security passphrase, different radio channels, and give the AP router an IP address that is either (1) reserved dynamic or (2) static in the network range but outside of the DHCP assignable addresses.

N11Ckk123472

Honorable
May 13, 2012
well like I said, having like 100ft of cable running around of my house is out of the question. Is there a way I can have it in my upstairs without connecting straight to my router with a cable?? I'm basically retarded when it comes to this stuff.

RealBeast

Titan
In your situation wireless won't work for you since the signal doesn't reach you, you don't want to run a cable, so it is your remaining choice and it will work to do what you want. I would skip the wireless upstairs though and just attach your computer to the powerline plug, or a 5 port switch off the plug, unless you need to move around on that floor while connected.