Sign in with
Your question

Bootmgr missing with other problems.

Last response: in Windows 7
April 4, 2012 12:52:21 PM

Hello , i will explain my problem .
i decided to add another hard disk 1 tb , to my alrdy 500gb hdd , and when i wanted to format and add a new partition , i used the windows 7 CD , and i pressed custom :/  and it started installing windows on the 2nd hard disk which was meant to be a slave , i didnt want that and i canceled the installation , yes , i pressed cancel
now supposedly i tried to reboot , it showed bootmgr is missing error , i tried the windows disk again and clicked repair my computer , it gave me another error that it didnt recognize my windows version , i have tried everything on the net , i even tried to boot with my old hard disk without the new 1 , still no bootmgr , same thing with new HDd .
im not sure what can i do from here .

HDDs are set to AHCI mode ,
i cant access my data to back it up , and i cant use any of the two hard disks . i can see them both when i try to install windows , and both disk 0 and disk 1 have a partition with "system"
April 4, 2012 1:18:55 PM

When you attempted to install on the new disk the installer probably altered your MBR (master boot record).
You can try to repair the mbr, using this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392
m
l
April 4, 2012 1:30:24 PM

thnx for reply , this solved some part of the problem , now when i turn on pc , it shows 2 OS to pick from , one read windows ultimate , and the other is , "windows ultimate ( recovered) , windows ultimate doesnt boot and just restarts , recovered logs on normal windows on the old HDD , i just checked disk managment , shows the other HDD as active healthy and it has some windows files on it , should i format it?
m
l
April 4, 2012 7:55:03 PM

If its just windows files left over from install try deleting first. If the OS lets you delete, it doesn't need the files so you can format it. If not, create a full backup and then format.
Formatting your disk with the windows cd was a really bad idea, that's what disk management is for. Just saying...
At this point you could try to repair you current install, but I think it will probably end up giving you a headache.
m
l
!