P900 - general smartphone questions

Hi,

I've always had Nokia phones so I've not really spent any time looking at
what SonyEricsson have to offer.

I've had a little play with the P900 and liked the touch screen in
combination with a display large enough to a GUI. It seems to work well

I think I've talked myself into the P900, just want peoples opinions and
comparisons really.

How easy is it to unlock a SE P900 that is likely to be locked to Orange UK?
It seems I need a specific type of cable, is that correct?

Firmware updates are available it seems, which is a very nice and welcomed
feature in my book. Do I just download the firmware from SE? There are no
operator-specific versions I should be wary about?

I think thats it for now.

Cheers!

Ben
More about p900 general smartphone questions

    I purchased a P900 a week ago and to be honest I'm having a hard time
    liking it. Basically the following are my issues:

    1) Battery life using the PDA and phone is less than a day. Comparing
    the phone usage to a T68i, the T68i's battery with similar usage was at
    80%. I should also comment that the PDA usage wasn't that excessive.

    If I do nothing other than have the phone sitting in my pocket, the
    battery is down to 92% by 11am, where it was 100% at 8am in the morning.
    There are a number of recommendations available over the web to conserve
    power. Even with implementing the recommendations, consumption is high.

    2) Without the flip on the P900, using the phone is simply not as easy
    as a normal phone with buttons. Not impossible, just inconvenient.

    3) The number and type of third party applications permit a similar
    experience with respect to a Palm. On the other hand the robustness of
    the third party applications is in question in my mind. This appears to
    be due to a lack of maturity. Consider the P900's PDA to be 70%
    solution.

    I should also comment that in many cases the UIQ applications do not
    offer all of the features with respect to the corresponding Palm
    application.

    4) If you add most any case to the P900 don't expect to drop the phone
    into your pants pocket. The vast majority of the cases on the market add
    significant bulk. In other words this phone really wants to hang off of
    your belt or for a woman in a bag.

    For those of us in the States, there are products that simply are not
    exported to the States. Specifically there is a case from trim Martin
    Fields that is apparently not available from any source that will ship
    to the States.

    5) When you are talking on the phone, your cheek tends to touch the
    screen. This in turn causes applications to start, bring up menus, etc.
    Also expect to clean skin oils off the screen as a major pass time....

    6) Then there is the fact that in a month or so the P910 will be out
    with significant increases in internal memory.

    In article <2mhoisFmlh61U1@uni-berlin.de>, spam@hotmail.com says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've always had Nokia phones so I've not really spent any time looking at
    > what SonyEricsson have to offer.
    >
    > I've had a little play with the P900 and liked the touch screen in
    > combination with a display large enough to a GUI. It seems to work well
    >
    > I think I've talked myself into the P900, just want peoples opinions and
    > comparisons really.
    >
    > How easy is it to unlock a SE P900 that is likely to be locked to Orange UK?
    > It seems I need a specific type of cable, is that correct?
    >
    > Firmware updates are available it seems, which is a very nice and welcomed
    > feature in my book. Do I just download the firmware from SE? There are no
    > operator-specific versions I should be wary about?
    >
    > I think thats it for now.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Ben

    You will love the P900 I can not answer the question about unlocking however
    upgrading is a matter of placing the P900 in the cradle and going to the
    update site via Internet Explorer.

    Go to www.esato.com they have an extensive forum dedicated to the P900 and
    probably can answer the unlocking question and anyother one's that you may
    have.

    "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've always had Nokia phones so I've not really spent any time looking at
    > what SonyEricsson have to offer.
    >
    > I've had a little play with the P900 and liked the touch screen in
    > combination with a display large enough to a GUI. It seems to work well
    >
    > I think I've talked myself into the P900, just want peoples opinions and
    > comparisons really.
    >
    > How easy is it to unlock a SE P900 that is likely to be locked to Orange
    UK?
    > It seems I need a specific type of cable, is that correct?
    >
    > Firmware updates are available it seems, which is a very nice and welcomed
    > feature in my book. Do I just download the firmware from SE? There are
    no
    > operator-specific versions I should be wary about?
    >
    > I think thats it for now.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Ben

    I had mine unlocked for £10 it was on orange and is now on all networks

    Nicholas Barker wrote:
    > I had mine unlocked for £10 it was on orange and is now on all networks

    How?

    Remotely?

    In a shop with a cable?

    Magic? ;-)

    Ben

    csv wrote:
    > I purchased a P900 a week ago and to be honest I'm having a hard time
    > liking it. Basically the following are my issues:
    >
    > 1) Battery life using the PDA and phone is less than a day. Comparing
    > the phone usage to a T68i, the T68i's battery with similar usage was at
    > 80%. I should also comment that the PDA usage wasn't that excessive.
    >
    > If I do nothing other than have the phone sitting in my pocket, the
    > battery is down to 92% by 11am, where it was 100% at 8am in the morning.
    > There are a number of recommendations available over the web to conserve
    > power. Even with implementing the recommendations, consumption is high.

    Less than a day would be silly - I might as well go with a 3G phone and get
    cheap calls. (OK, so THAT would be excessive, but you get my point).

    > 2) Without the flip on the P900, using the phone is simply not as easy
    > as a normal phone with buttons. Not impossible, just inconvenient.

    Without? Can you take it off? Why would you?

    > 3) The number and type of third party applications permit a similar
    > experience with respect to a Palm. On the other hand the robustness of
    > the third party applications is in question in my mind. This appears to
    > be due to a lack of maturity. Consider the P900's PDA to be 70%
    > solution.

    Well I had a Psion 5 and never really used it, so I'm not after a full PDA.
    Just would like to be able to send/receive the odd email or check something
    online if I need to in an emergency (Maybe I can't find that damn address
    and forgot the map) - you get the idea.

    > I should also comment that in many cases the UIQ applications do not
    > offer all of the features with respect to the corresponding Palm
    > application.
    >
    > 4) If you add most any case to the P900 don't expect to drop the phone
    > into your pants pocket. The vast majority of the cases on the market add
    > significant bulk. In other words this phone really wants to hang off of
    > your belt or for a woman in a bag.

    Would probably just put the phone straight in my pocket - with the screen
    facing in, of course. Never been a fan of cases. Wonder how that would
    work with jeans, hmm.

    > 5) When you are talking on the phone, your cheek tends to touch the
    > screen. This in turn causes applications to start, bring up menus, etc.
    > Also expect to clean skin oils off the screen as a major pass time....

    Hmm, that could be annoying. Is this 'cos the flap is off?

    > 6) Then there is the fact that in a month or so the P910 will be out
    > with significant increases in internal memory.

    But it seems that memory can be expanded using a <whatever> expansion card.
    None of the problems you mention have been addressed in the new version I
    take it, so what would I gain?

    I had looked at the 910i, but the only differences I saw were the qwerty
    keyboard that would be too fiddly to use and I'd worry about the lengevity
    of the hinge on the flap if I were supported the whole weight of the phone
    on it. And of course more internal memory. (48 vs 16MB)

    Thanks for your response.

    Ben

    csv wrote:
    > 1) Battery life using the PDA and phone is less than a day. Comparing
    > the phone usage to a T68i, the T68i's battery with similar usage was at
    > 80%. I should also comment that the PDA usage wasn't that excessive.

    Thats a far cry from the 400h standby OR 780m talktime they suggest the
    battery is good for.

    That would be like 12 hours of talktime per day (including standby) before
    the battery runs out. Obviously that would be absolute best case, but even
    cutting it in 4 they're pushing their luck with that estimate. (you'd still
    get 2 hours of calls and 24 hours standby)

    I guess that completely excludes use of the screen which is clearly going to
    be the biggest battery killer.

    Ben

    Marka2k wrote:
    > You will love the P900 I can not answer the question about unlocking
    > however upgrading is a matter of placing the P900 in the cradle and going
    > to the update site via Internet Explorer.

    Nice. It has USB connectivity, so can I plug the phone in to a computer and
    use it like a USB flash device? Or do I have to install lots of drivers,
    first?

    > Go to www.esato.com they have an extensive forum dedicated to the P900 and
    > probably can answer the unlocking question and anyother one's that you may
    > have.

    Thanks, I'll take a look.

    Ben

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > on it. And of course more internal memory. (48 vs 16MB)

    Is there anything that can't be offloaded to the memory expansion?

    I was reading that MMS messages can't, which seems a bit silly? Is this so
    that the service providers can retain their grasp on MMS revenue?

    Ben

    csv wrote:
    > 1) Battery life using the PDA and phone is less than a day. Comparing
    > the phone usage to a T68i, the T68i's battery with similar usage was
    > at 80%. I should also comment that the PDA usage wasn't that
    > excessive.
    >
    > If I do nothing other than have the phone sitting in my pocket, the
    > battery is down to 92% by 11am, where it was 100% at 8am in the
    > morning. There are a number of recommendations available over the
    > web to conserve power. Even with implementing the recommendations,
    > consumption is high.

    Then you either didn't do the recommended full "discharge-charge"
    cycles or you didn't turn off the unnecessary features. I was
    disappointed by the short battery life time in the beginning as well.
    But now I get four days up to almost a week (depending on usage).

    1) Do the first four or five cycles to a complete discharge and then
    charge over the night. The battery gains its full capacity then.

    2) Turn off Bluetooth and IrDA. Only activate it if you really need it.

    3) Configure to "GSM only". GPRS is then turned off during inactivity
    and only turned on if you really need it. This made a factor 2 in
    battery life time for me!

    4) Don't run processor consuming tasks in the background (I have Tracker
    running in the background which seems fine).

    --
    Stefan Bellon
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    Stefan Bellon wrote:
    > Then you either didn't do the recommended full "discharge-charge"
    > cycles or you didn't turn off the unnecessary features. I was
    > disappointed by the short battery life time in the beginning as well.
    > But now I get four days up to almost a week (depending on usage).

    That sounds a lot more sane. How much screen usage do you do in a day?

    > 1) Do the first four or five cycles to a complete discharge and then
    > charge over the night. The battery gains its full capacity then.

    Yeah, I heard 3 deep cycles for Li Ion. And to not let it fully discharge
    after that. My 6310i has been performing well based on this advice - after
    22 months I can still get 6 of the 7 days it used to do.

    It's important not to overcharge NiMh and Li Ion - the circuitry in a Li Ion
    battery will prevent you from overcharging it. If you overcharge NiMh you
    get crystal formation and growth, which can eventually break the cell walls
    shorting the cells.

    Ben
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've always had Nokia phones so I've not really spent any time looking at
    > what SonyEricsson have to offer.
    >
    > I've had a little play with the P900 and liked the touch screen in
    > combination with a display large enough to a GUI. It seems to work well
    >
    > I think I've talked myself into the P900, just want peoples opinions and
    > comparisons really.
    >
    > How easy is it to unlock a SE P900 that is likely to be locked to Orange
    UK?
    > It seems I need a specific type of cable, is that correct?
    >
    > Firmware updates are available it seems, which is a very nice and welcomed
    > feature in my book. Do I just download the firmware from SE? There are
    no
    > operator-specific versions I should be wary about?

    Orange haven't kept up with SE on the firmware updates and are currently on
    R3A06 whereas the unbranded version is on R5B02. Even unlocking and
    unbranding will not allow you to update to the latest firmware since the
    service now uses your IMEI number to determine whether you are allowed to
    update or not.

    Great phone though, the best item of any type that I have ever bought, just
    a shame about Orange's restrictions and the fact you have to reboot at least
    once a week.

    HTH

    Andy
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Stefan Bellon wrote:
    > > Then you either didn't do the recommended full "discharge-charge"
    > > cycles or you didn't turn off the unnecessary features. I was
    > > disappointed by the short battery life time in the beginning as
    > > well. But now I get four days up to almost a week (depending on
    > > usage).

    > That sounds a lot more sane. How much screen usage do you do in a
    > day?

    A few contact searches, a few appointment lookups and perhaps one SMS
    per day.

    --
    Stefan Bellon
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    Stefan Bellon wrote:
    > Ben Pope wrote:
    >> Stefan Bellon wrote:
    >>> Then you either didn't do the recommended full "discharge-charge"
    >>> cycles or you didn't turn off the unnecessary features. I was
    >>> disappointed by the short battery life time in the beginning as
    >>> well. But now I get four days up to almost a week (depending on
    >>> usage).
    >
    >> That sounds a lot more sane. How much screen usage do you do in a
    >> day?
    >
    > A few contact searches, a few appointment lookups and perhaps one SMS
    > per day.

    Pretty minimal then - even for a phone (rather than a PDA)

    Ben
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    Andy Lord wrote:
    > I believe it is possible to have an Orange P900 unbranded and brought up
    > to the latest 'vanilla' software revision, but you still won't be able to
    > use the online update to update to newer versions as they're released
    > because the service will still check your IMEI, know that your phone
    > should be an Orange one and will refuse to do the update.

    I think I read something about that in a forum, but couldn't find the
    details. I take it that would be a service centre jobby rather than a DIY
    thing.

    > You could always change your IMEI of course, but that wouldn't be legal.

    Indeed - I wouldn't go that far.

    Ben
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Stefan Bellon wrote:

    > > A few contact searches, a few appointment lookups and perhaps one
    > > SMS per day.

    > Pretty minimal then - even for a phone (rather than a PDA)

    Well, yeah, watching a 90 minutes MP4 video drains half the battery.

    --
    Stefan Bellon
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    Stefan Bellon wrote:
    > Ben Pope wrote:
    >> Stefan Bellon wrote:
    >
    >>> A few contact searches, a few appointment lookups and perhaps one
    >>> SMS per day.
    >
    >> Pretty minimal then - even for a phone (rather than a PDA)
    >
    > Well, yeah, watching a 90 minutes MP4 video drains half the battery.

    No doubt!

    Ben
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    You are correct with respect to full discharge cycles. When I ran it
    down to shutting off was the first full discharge. With respect to
    Bluetooth and IrDA, both are off. In addition I also set GSM only. I
    also have tracker running in background.

    I think what might be occurring is when I'm talking on the phone, my
    cheek is hitting the display. This in turn causes the back light to be
    on 100% of the time, thus causing additional drain on the battery.

    In article <4cd4397642sbellon@sbellon.de>, sbellon@sbellon.de says...

    > Then you either didn't do the recommended full "discharge-charge"
    > cycles or you didn't turn off the unnecessary features. I was
    > disappointed by the short battery life time in the beginning as well.
    > But now I get four days up to almost a week (depending on usage).
    >
    > 1) Do the first four or five cycles to a complete discharge and then
    > charge over the night. The battery gains its full capacity then.
    >
    > 2) Turn off Bluetooth and IrDA. Only activate it if you really need it.
    >
    > 3) Configure to "GSM only". GPRS is then turned off during inactivity
    > and only turned on if you really need it. This made a factor 2 in
    > battery life time for me!
    >
    > 4) Don't run processor consuming tasks in the background (I have Tracker
    > running in the background which seems fine).

  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    Yes the flip does come off. A cap is provided to cover the area in the
    phone. Basically the idea is to make the phone more "PDA like".

    Basically I have concluded that for me without the flip, using the phone
    is just too much trouble.

    Dropping the phone into jeans without a case is very doable. Even non-
    baggy jeans is ok, but you know the phone is there given its weight.

    There is a case from Martin Fields that I ordered tonight that seems
    very trim. In a week or so I should have it in hand.

    I don't think the flip has anything to do with touching the screen to
    ones face. I guess it has a lot to do with the shape of your face and
    how one is used to holding a phone.

    In article <2mhuakFmgd32U1@uni-berlin.de>, spam@hotmail.com says...

    > > 2) Without the flip on the P900, using the phone is simply not as easy
    > > as a normal phone with buttons. Not impossible, just inconvenient.
    >
    > Without? Can you take it off? Why would you?
    >

    > Would probably just put the phone straight in my pocket - with the screen
    > facing in, of course. Never been a fan of cases. Wonder how that would
    > work with jeans, hmm.

    > Hmm, that could be annoying. Is this 'cos the flap is off?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    csv wrote:
    > I think what might be occurring is when I'm talking on the phone, my
    > cheek is hitting the display. This in turn causes the back light to
    > be on 100% of the time, thus causing additional drain on the battery.

    Well, I have the flip mounted and talk in flip-closed mode.

    --
    Stefan Bellon
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    best phone I've owned. not very user friendly, but a great phone.

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've always had Nokia phones so I've not really spent any time looking at
    > what SonyEricsson have to offer.
    >
    > I've had a little play with the P900 and liked the touch screen in
    > combination with a display large enough to a GUI. It seems to work well
    >
    > I think I've talked myself into the P900, just want peoples opinions and
    > comparisons really.
    >
    > How easy is it to unlock a SE P900 that is likely to be locked to Orange UK?
    > It seems I need a specific type of cable, is that correct?
    >
    > Firmware updates are available it seems, which is a very nice and welcomed
    > feature in my book. Do I just download the firmware from SE? There are no
    > operator-specific versions I should be wary about?
    >
    > I think thats it for now.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Ben
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.ericsson (More info?)

    If bluetooth is enabled. the phone is always looking for the device, so
    it eats the battery. I use mine daily, and go a week on a charge with
    bluetooth off.

    Stefan Bellon wrote:

    > csv wrote:
    >
    >>1) Battery life using the PDA and phone is less than a day. Comparing
    >>the phone usage to a T68i, the T68i's battery with similar usage was
    >>at 80%. I should also comment that the PDA usage wasn't that
    >>excessive.
    >>
    >>If I do nothing other than have the phone sitting in my pocket, the
    >>battery is down to 92% by 11am, where it was 100% at 8am in the
    >>morning. There are a number of recommendations available over the
    >>web to conserve power. Even with implementing the recommendations,
    >>consumption is high.
    >

    > Then you either didn't do the recommended full "discharge-charge"
    > cycles or you didn't turn off the unnecessary features. I was
    > disappointed by the short battery life time in the beginning as well.
    > But now I get four days up to almost a week (depending on usage).
    >
    > 1) Do the first four or five cycles to a complete discharge and then
    > charge over the night. The battery gains its full capacity then.
    >
    > 2) Turn off Bluetooth and IrDA. Only activate it if you really need it.
    >
    > 3) Configure to "GSM only". GPRS is then turned off during inactivity
    > and only turned on if you really need it. This made a factor 2 in
    > battery life time for me!
    >
    > 4) Don't run processor consuming tasks in the background (I have Tracker
    > running in the background which seems fine).

Ericsson Smartphones