Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ready. Set. Windows 7 Hardware Support!

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2009 8:17:13 AM

Anyone here checked ReadySet7.com out?

Of course, it's in MS's best interest to make sure everyone can run Windows 7. It is, after all, their flagship product. But let's hope they also push for windows7 support of current and legacy hardware.

I never bothered upgrading to Vista, but how well was that version's support of hardware in general?
a b $ Windows 7
June 1, 2009 8:50:56 AM

Installed Vista Beta when released. Purchased Vista the day after it was released. Currently have six Vista machines running full time, four Vista 64. Some companies failed to provide Vista drivers for their products, but generally 'Vista ready' hardware was readily available. Some companies are just bad at drivers even for XP, much less cutting edge like Vista 64. Old hardware, printers, wireless adapters, various Old PCI cards, etc. would not work without Vista drivers. My Pinnacle studio 9 suite has no Vista driver. Pinnacle video editing suites require a PCI card (or usb). I installed my PCI version 9 it and made it work, but not well enough to leave it. Pinnacle supplied Vista support with suite 10 I believe. Office 2000 Small Business works flawlessly with Vista and Windows 7 for that matter. Really r_manic it's the PC tech wanna B's that bad mouth Vista. If I have something, a software, that I can't use with Vista I find an alternative. I enjoy my Vista machines. My whole family uses Vista 64.

For example 8)

Windows ME (yes Windows ME) was the original system Microsoft added the "Camera and Scanner Wizard" you see on XP (ha! that bit of software is a carry over from Windows ME). The XP "Scanner and Camera wizard" can be accessed from the XP Control Panel. Many people do not even realize they use XP Camera and Scanner Wizard every time they plug their digital camera in to XP. The wizard pops up or is a selection item. You can put a check mark by the pictures you want to download from the camera and create a specific folder to load them to. Not on Vista! The Windows ME/XP Camera and Scanner Wizard was canned with Vista. So, we use this wizard constantly with our work with Clinical Photography.

This program (I think Adobe stole it LOL!) provides the same 'Wizard' as the built in Windows ME/XP Camera and Scanner wizard!!! And it works perfectly on Vista 32/64! Who needs XP! LOL.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftp...
June 1, 2009 4:47:55 PM

I just hope Win 7 retail is good, kinda looks like apple, but ah well. So far, Win 7 looks good. (for me anyway, VM's work).
Related resources
June 5, 2009 10:02:04 PM

I have had nothing but amazing experiences with Windows 7 so far. I originally installed it on a new HTPC I built a few weeks ago. I was having trouble getting any OS to use my Hauppauge 2250 HD tuner correctly. XP Pro lacks any Media Center, and Hauppauge's wasn't anything to write home about. Vista would recognize the card, but only identify SD channels. The same occurred with Ubuntu and other Linux flavors as well. Once I dropped Win7 on there, it picked up my tuner, and all SD and HD channels.

That was the biggest selling point for me; everything just worked, which was a surprise coming from an OS that hasn't even hit RTM yet.

Other than that, its a very snappy OS and runs well even on my 3-year-old HP tx1000 laptop. I currently have Windows 7 installed on 4 of my home computers, and haven't have one problem yet. The only thing that I MIGHT classify as a problem, is that when I put my personal system to sleep, it has commitment issues and will wake back up in a minute or two, but that isn't really a problem for me, but will most likely be solved with never Win7 drivers from nvidia.

If I had another hand, I'd give it 3 thumbs up.
June 6, 2009 2:58:24 AM

MS has done a good job, Vista and 7 are great.
June 9, 2009 11:32:05 AM

Yes indeed it is. Good job MS. Finally.
August 23, 2009 7:01:01 PM

badge said:
Installed Vista Beta when released. Purchased Vista the day after it was released. Currently have six Vista machines running full time, four Vista 64. Some companies failed to provide Vista drivers for their products, but generally 'Vista ready' hardware was readily available. Some companies are just bad at drivers even for XP, much less cutting edge like Vista 64. Old hardware, printers, wireless adapters, various Old PCI cards, etc. would not work without Vista drivers. My Pinnacle studio 9 suite has no Vista driver. Pinnacle video editing suites require a PCI card (or usb). I installed my PCI version 9 it and made it work, but not well enough to leave it. Pinnacle supplied Vista support with suite 10 I believe. Office 2000 Small Business works flawlessly with Vista and Windows 7 for that matter. Really r_manic it's the PC tech wanna B's that bad mouth Vista. If I have something, a software, that I can't use with Vista I find an alternative. I enjoy my Vista machines. My whole family uses Vista 64.

For example 8)

Windows ME (yes Windows ME) was the original system Microsoft added the "Camera and Scanner Wizard" you see on XP (ha! that bit of software is a carry over from Windows ME). The XP "Scanner and Camera wizard" can be accessed from the XP Control Panel. Many people do not even realize they use XP Camera and Scanner Wizard every time they plug their digital camera in to XP. The wizard pops up or is a selection item. You can put a check mark by the pictures you want to download from the camera and create a specific folder to load them to. Not on Vista! The Windows ME/XP Camera and Scanner Wizard was canned with Vista. So, we use this wizard constantly with our work with Clinical Photography.

This program (I think Adobe stole it LOL!) provides the same 'Wizard' as the built in Windows ME/XP Camera and Scanner wizard!!! And it works perfectly on Vista 32/64! Who needs XP! LOL.

a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2009 7:53:10 PM

Thank you for the nice words. :sarcastic: 
August 24, 2009 4:43:22 AM

badge said:

Also ME introduced System Restore !!! (To me ME's one saving grace since you had to use it constantly... lol)

To the OP

Windows 7 hardware support so far is fantastic from what I can tell.

One impressive example is one of my test bed machines I have an old Audigy sound card (one of the originals)
And Vista for a long time I had to use hacked drivers downloaded off the net then finally Creative buckled and released actual drivers.... Anyway long story short I installed 7 on this machine and while I did not have drivers on the disk it downloaded the right drivers from MS after like 2 minutes installed them and I had sound with no reboot required...

Color me impressed.
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2009 5:55:37 AM

I updated my two old Audigy 2 cards this weekend. Noticed CL had new drivers supporting Vista as well as Windows 7. The Audigy 2's software control panel is far from elaborate, but the cards work on my Vista machines. I'm sure they would work on my current Windows 7 machine. I couldn't believe when I installed Windows 7 BETA the day after it came out on this machine. All the drivers for this board, etc. were provided by Windows 7! In a very short time Windows XP will no longer be an option for enthusiasts.

Windows 7 64 RC
AMD 4000+ 2.4GHz. Socket 939
Mach Speed socket 939 Mb NF4
3 GB PC3200 400MHz.
EVGA 7900 GTO

I will buy a SSD HD and Windows 7 at some point and load it up on a real computer and use it like I own it. ;) 

November 27, 2009 3:15:10 PM

I hung on to Win XP until Win 7 came out, and got it installed now. Apart from losing some hardware I was using quite frequently, I find Windows 7 pretty awesome! Stable, not a resource hog & annoying program like Vista, and runs smoothly. I just wish it was a bit less new so that software / hardware manufacturer's could tell us if their products are Windows 7 ready. So far, it's hard to buy anything new without that information. All in all, I think FINALLY Microsoft has a decent replacement for Win XP, which is awesome in itself.

Vista, to me was a "final paycheck" for Bill Gates, who retired just as Vista was put out. That's why, to me it was crap!!!! Billy boy, rushed it out so he could cash in (not that he'd go broke anyway).
a b $ Windows 7
November 27, 2009 4:58:16 PM

15660,12,520734 said:
I hung on to Win XP until Win 7 came out, and got it installed now. Apart from losing some hardware I was using quite frequently, I find Windows 7 pretty awesome! Stable, not a resource hog & annoying program like Vista, and runs smoothly. I just wish it was a bit less new so that software / hardware manufacturer's could tell us if their products are Windows 7 ready. So far, it's hard to buy anything new without that information. All in all, I think FINALLY Microsoft has a decent replacement for Win XP, which is awesome in itself.

Vista, to me was a "final paycheck" for Bill Gates, who retired just as Vista was put out. That's why, to me it was crap!!!! Billy boy, rushed it out so he could cash in (not that he'd go broke anyway).[/quotemsg]

I have used Vista since BETA 1 more than three years ago. My whole family uses Vista 64. We have no problem nor have we had any problem in the past three years with the OS. I have used Windows 7 since the day the first BETA was released. So posting the news of what you think about Vista helps no one. It is basically FUD. This thread has been dead since August. In the future, read the date of the thread before posting. Vista was crap to you because you obviously do not know what you are talking about other than FUD.
a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 23, 2010 7:47:44 PM

This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy
!