Sign in with
Your question

External Hard Drive for Mac OS X

Last response: in Mac Os X
October 17, 2010 9:51:00 PM

Hey all, quick question about Macs. (I am a Windows user with basically no mac knowledge, so consider me a complete newbie to the world of Apple:) 

Are all external hard drives compatible with a Macbook? I need an external (USB) hard drive to get a bunch of iTunes movies off a Macbook. (and I'd like to be able to watch them on the Macbook when the hard drive is connected to it as well.)

What do I need to know to purchase one?

Thanks!
October 19, 2010 7:39:50 PM

You do not need anything. Almost whatever you connect to a Mac works, except some Sony devices (walkmans, for example) but there are few.
Just buy some external HDD (I would recommend iomega product) and enjoy it.

Vladyka
m
l
October 20, 2010 11:48:40 AM

U won't have any problems with a drive formatted in fat32 other than the 4GB file size limit. (most external drives use FAT32 by default)
If you want to move bigger files, u either have to split them or use NTFS.

Mac OS 10.6 does support writing to NTFS but doesn't enable it by default. Here's how u can do it:
http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090913140...
m
l
Related resources
October 20, 2010 12:11:46 PM

Do you need to access this external drive from a PC as well as the Mac? If not you'd probably be better of formatting the external drive with the native Mac OS X Extended format.
m
l
October 24, 2010 11:39:30 PM

Any external HDD will do fine,

Format with disk utility if needed, will run fine :D 
m
l
October 25, 2010 10:19:12 PM

Vladyka said:
You do not need anything. Almost whatever you connect to a Mac works, except some Sony devices (walkmans, for example) but there are few.
Just buy some external HDD (I would recommend iomega product) and enjoy it.

Vladyka
I am using an Iomega HDD in my Mac and it works great!, Good advice yours!
m
l
!