Windows 7 upgrade on computer w/replacement mboard

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I found out within the past few days that my HP Pavilion computer needs a motherboard. I'm certainly not going to buy the HP replacement. I have a Windows 7 upgrade package which I have NOT yet installed. My question is: If I change the mboard and use my existing harddrive which is OK will the upgrade package recognize that I've changed the mboard and not install or is the pertinent information all on the drive. I'm thinking if there is a problem it will be in the BIOS. Any help will be appreciated.

Solution
Yup. Just do a normal install. Sometimes, you can avoid putting in the your key during the install and enter it after you've completely installed the OS. That's how I did it and it worked fine.

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010

negril

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Yes, I do, thanx. The computer currently isn't operable so I couldn't even attempt to do the upgrade. So the procedure would then be to install the components I have on a new mboard with my existing harddrive and install the upgrade from there?

isamuelson

Distinguished
Yup. Just do a normal install. Sometimes, you can avoid putting in the your key during the install and enter it after you've completely installed the OS. That's how I did it and it worked fine.

Solution