XP Home 32 bit to Windows 8 64 bit With Upgrade Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reignfire

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I have XP Home 32 bit and I bought the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade disks from Newegg. Installing Windows 8 64 bit went fine but I can't activate the new OS using my XP activation key. I thought something might be wrong with the key so I reinstalled XP and it activated just fine. What's the proper procedure? I want to do a "Custom" installation to format my drive. Thank you for any help.

Solution
Custom Install is correct as you can't 'upgrade' the XP Installation. When prompted for the Key you should enter the Win 8 one from your box. However, you may have to install XP up to SP 3 before the upgrade disk will be accepted....ie
Step 1 Install XP and activate.
2 Update XP to SP3
3 Load 8 upgrade disk, choose Custom Install and enter 8 product key

Reignfire

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I tried that too and my XP key and neither worked. The product key (that's on the inside of the package on a business card) is entered during "Custom" installation correct? It's also used during activation inside the OS after Windows 8 is installed? Where does the actual licensed activation key (XP - the one I'm upgrading from) come into play? This is the Upgrade copy of Windows 8 so you have to use a previous Windows installation activation key right?

Custom Install is correct as you can't 'upgrade' the XP Installation. When prompted for the Key you should enter the Win 8 one from your box. However, you may have to install XP up to SP 3 before the upgrade disk will be accepted....ie
Step 1 Install XP and activate.
2 Update XP to SP3
3 Load 8 upgrade disk, choose Custom Install and enter 8 product key

Solution

Reignfire

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

Okay I just did this. I had XP fully updated and activated on my PC. Next I set bios to have the dvd drive boot before the hard drive and made sure the 64 bit disk was inserted since you can't run the disk at all inside the XP OS. During installation I chose "Custom" and used the product key that came with the Upgrade. When it was ready to install I had to format the drive that contains my XP installation and then install. Now that I'm in Windows 8 does it remember that I was once activated? Everything on the drive was lost during installation so shouldn't I have to activate Windows 8 with my XP key sometime? I just need a little more information about how "Custom" installation works. Thank you.

Now you have Win 8 installed it will have activated automatically and registered your PC linked to the Product Key you used. Hopefully you won't need to install again, but if you do try running the W8 installation without installing XP 1st. Meanwhile if you have any problems with the Win 8 installation, it has a 'Refresh Option' which in conjunction with your Installation disk will refresh your OS without removing files etc.
Check you're activated, Windows key + C opens Charms menu on right, select 'Search' and type 'Computer' Rt click on 'Computer' and select 'Properties' at base of screen. Check state of activation at bottom of System Screen.

When you do the windows install using an upgrade version. It checks first to see if you have the qualifing OS installed. If Yes, then it retains that info and writes a line in the registry indicating you "passed" This then allows for activation using the Windows 8 Key - YOU DO NOT need to re-enter your XP key.

Do as Dodger stated, check you should find that windows 8 auto activated already.

NOTE:
1) See Dodgers comments on refresh.
2) Should you need to re-install windows 8 from scratch, YOU DO NOT have to re-load windows XP (as you did) first. There is a method (started with Vista) that allows for using the Upgrade disk to perform a "Clean" install ie to a NEW HDD/SSD. ONLY stipulation is that YOU own the qualifing OS for THAT computer - DOES NOT have to be installed:
Method I prefer (and have down many times):

SEE: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13375-clean-install-windows-8-upgrade.html

The Upgrade probably assumes that as the XP installation was activated it must have a valid Product Key. It will probably also prevent the use of the XP Key on another PC. Meanwhile enjoy Windows 8, hopefully you won't have to worry about any more keys! I've upgraded several rigs by using the online Upgrade Assistant, then once a Key was issued I used an installation disk to install to either a new or formatted drive. I imagine you could now do the same now that you've satisfied the upgrade conditions. You certainly shouldn't be asked for your XP Key with your present installation. Hope this helps.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

You cannot upgrade a 32bit OS to a 64bit. You need to do a clean install
64bit.png

@ gomerpile 'I had to format the drive' = Clean Install, which part did YOU read and not understand!!!!

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

You would have had to do this before you installed 8 so you already know the answer. Like I said ""YOU NEED TO DO A CLEAN INSTALLSince you already did a clean install you already know the format is automatic You cannot install 8. The setup will format the drive. The Info of 32bit to 64bit is info that you cannot use the upgrade. Information purpose only. What part did you not understand CLEAN INSTALL

Hi :)

I think a little more politeness is called for here....

Insulting other people helping is NOT allowed....

Lets call this a friendly warning....

All the best Brett :)

Congrats on attaining 'Moderatorship' - insults like water off duck's back, no harm done...

True, but the OP purchased the 'Upgrade' Edition, which has to be installed on a system that has a valid, qualifying Windows OS that has been activated. i.e. XP SP3, Vista SP2 or Win 7. The 'Clean install' comes about because it is physically impossible to upgrade XP to 8, hence the disk format prior to actual installation. However, if you download the upgrade version of 8 from M'Soft, the Upgrade Assistant will already have established that you have a Valid Qualifying OS, and a Key is issued on the strength of that linked to the Key of the Qual. OS AND the serial number of the System's Mainboard. Then you can use the Media of your choice to install Win 8 anywhere you like on the System, either 32 or 64 bit, and on a brand new disk if desired. I suspect, but haven't put it to the test, if you upgrade from an Upgrade Disk as in this instance, once activated, it would be possible to re-install at a future date without having to re-install the Qual. OS. Mebbe... Hope this clarifies the situation!

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005

Just giving the same response I received
Quote:
which part did YOU read and not understand!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.