Speaker cable

Last response: in Home Audio
February 12, 2005 10:47:51 AM

I'm curios wheather useing a corrugated catv distribution cable like these:
http://www.outokumpu.com/files/Copper/Images/TELECOM_co...
(diameter often 2 cm ~1 inch)

Could be benefitial to wire speakers with? Point being shielding from external
sources. And esp keeping the high frequencies (10-20kHz) in the cable.
The size of the cable should sufficient for the load.

Just an wild idea ;)

More about : speaker cable

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 10:47:52 AM

pbdelete@spamnuke.ludd.luthdelete.se.invalid wrote in news:420db4a7$0$174
$cc7c7865@news.luth.se:

> http://www.outokumpu.com/files/Copper/Images/TELECOM_co...

Speaker/amplifier impedances are too low and don't behave like
transmission lines. Just use plenty of copper and don't sweat
the RFI.

--Damon, who does use braided Kimber 4TC
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 10:47:52 AM

pbdelete wrote ...
> I'm curios wheather useing a corrugated catv distribution cable like
> these:
> http://www.outokumpu.com/files/Copper/Images/TELECOM_co...
> (diameter often 2 cm ~1 inch)
>
> Could be benefitial to wire speakers with? Point being shielding from
> external
> sources. And esp keeping the high frequencies (10-20kHz) in the cable.
> The size of the cable should sufficient for the load.
>
> Just an wild idea ;)

Too wild. No advantages. Many disadvantages, several
of which are deal-killers IMHO. You don't need shielded
cable for speaker-level. (Unless you have a 50KW transmitter
on your roof.) That stuff is way too stiff and difficult to deal
with to make it worth considering except for its intended
purpose (where it is better than its predecessor, hard wave-
guide.)
!