Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

BSOD issues

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
April 4, 2012 3:10:26 PM

Hello all, I hope this is the right section to ask this question, if not I'm sorry.

So I had a friend build me this computer a little over a year ago and since the beginning I've been getting BSOD. Here are the specs.

Intel I5-750, Asrock p55 Pro, 4gig 2X2 Adata xpg 1600 ram, 400 watt P.S, Radeon 5800.

What happens is once per day when the computer boot up I would get a BSOD little after the desktop loaded. I would have to completely turn the computer off then back on to fix the problem. If i would restart it would BSOD again. The computer would not BSOD untill the next day even if I would turn off/restart in the same day.

More about : bsod issues

a b $ Windows 7
April 4, 2012 3:44:20 PM

Scarey when you say "400w psu" with no make or model indicating it's generic. What happens when you play games?

First of all 400w is a little iffy for that system, not to mention a generic 400w psu probably doesn't put out anywhere near 400w REAL watts.

BSOD"s are almost always memory related. You can test your memory with Memtest86.

I'd replace the psu regardless.
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 4:43:14 PM

there are no problem in power supply , an d i think its enough
if the system is not getting enough power it will freeze not restart/BSOD

so i think the problem in the ram make sure u set the timing manually in bios

bye
m
0
l
Related resources
April 4, 2012 4:52:19 PM

The PSU is a corsair not sure which exact model, i ran memtest86 for 1/2hr (i know not a real long time) but nothing showed up, ram is running at 1333, timing 9-9-9-24 1.65v i tired 1600 didn't fix it either.

I forgot also to mention if i put my comp in sleep mode and don't turn it off i never get BSOD either.

By the way how do I post pics, i don't see the little paper clip anywhere.
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 5:34:00 PM

Hi

ok try to update the bios form Windows or in BIOS menu using Flash memory, more detail see the MB manual

p.s I registered to replay to u can u believe this :) 

Good luck
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 4, 2012 5:37:14 PM

Symptom's of underpowered psu from Guru 3d:

Quote:
What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load? Here are some pointers:

bad 3D performance
crashing games
spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
freezing during gameplay
PSU overload can cause it to break down




400w is a little light for that system with a HD5800 (5830, 5850 or 5870?), especially if your doing ANY overclocking (cpu/gpu), but it may not be the problem.

Psu's that are run at high load tend to not last long. Especially if it's an inefficient model. You didn't specify which Corsair.

I'd look at memory first though. Run a full memtest run.

If you have DDR3-1600, why are you running it at 1333?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 4, 2012 5:46:23 PM

Pepsi7 said:
Hi

ok try to update the bios form Windows or in BIOS menu using Flash memory, more detail see the MB manual

p.s I registered to replay to u can u believe this :) 

Good luck



^this.
update that mobo bios if u havent.
do you happen to run a ssd?
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 5:48:31 PM

geekapproved said:
Symptom's of underpowered psu from Guru 3d:

Quote:
What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load? Here are some pointers:

bad 3D performance
crashing games
spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
freezing during gameplay
PSU overload can cause it to break down




400w is a little light for that system with a HD5800 (5830, 5850 or 5870?), especially if your doing ANY overclocking (cpu/gpu), but it may not be the problem.

Psu's that are run at high load tend to not last long. Especially if it's an inefficient model. You didn't specify which Corsair.

I'd look at memory first though. Run a full memtest run.

If you have DDR3-1600, why are you running it at 1333?


i totally agree with u that 400W is low regarding that GPU.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 4, 2012 5:53:26 PM

he isnt showing symptoms of a faulty psu
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 5:53:48 PM

neon neophyte said:
^this.
update that mobo bios if u havent.
do you happen to run a ssd?


regarding SSD,

BSOD is common problem among SSD users, that why i don't own SSD yet.

So if u are having SSD -> U willl encounter BSOD soon :D  " idont know why "
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 5:54:42 PM

neon neophyte said:
he isnt showing symptoms of a faulty psu


that why i think the problem in RAm
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 4, 2012 5:55:11 PM

it was the firmware on the sandforce chipset. the problem has mostly been resolved.

i suffered from daily bluescreens when i first got my ssd. with firmware 2.15, i havent seen a bluescreen in a half year
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 6:02:31 PM

neon neophyte said:
it was the firmware on the sandforce chipset. the problem has mostly been resolved.

i suffered from daily bluescreens when i first got my ssd. with firmware 2.15, i havent seen a bluescreen in a half year


Lets wait another 1/2 year and see , if nothing happen time to get SSD :) 

m
0
l
April 4, 2012 6:06:30 PM

I dont' have a SSD. I'll try and update bios. Also im not familiar with what i have to do to update bios anyhow if someone could explain the process that would be great.

Its a radeon 5850. How large a PSU should i have?

How long is a full memtest i ran it till it said it couldn't find any problems.
Quote:

If you have DDR3-1600, why are you running it at 1333?
I was just seeing if running at 1333 would fix the problem but it didn't haven't changed it back.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 4, 2012 6:07:24 PM

i wouldnt go back, personally

i load into bf3 games before anyone. with the new update on bf3, rounds start almost as fast as i load. so i get a good 10 second advantage over everyone else. means my choice of vehicle. =D
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 6:09:59 PM

give me MB model
m
0
l
April 4, 2012 6:33:48 PM

Okay have the new version P2.60. I wont know if that fixes the problem till tomorrow though.
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 12:12:52 AM

first of all ... BSOD.. what is the code of the Bsod.. 0x00000????
next use a program like.. whocrashed it will help you know what when wrong...
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 12:49:43 AM

NxN_Slite said:
first of all ... BSOD.. what is the code of the Bsod.. 0x00000????
next use a program like.. whocrashed it will help you know what when wrong...


On Wed 4/4/2012 2:52:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040412-33984-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x31, 0xFFFFFA800656A0A0, 0xFFFFF880047F3000, 0xFFFFF8A007593CF9)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.


On Wed 4/4/2012 2:52:12 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x31, 0xFFFFFA800656A0A0, 0xFFFFF880047F3000, 0xFFFFF8A007593CF9)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.


On Tue 4/3/2012 6:50:30 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\040312-24296-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA810658B090, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80002CF6A79, 0x5)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

This is the last three that happpend.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 5, 2012 12:05:58 PM

Looks like a RAM problem; MEMORY_MANAGEMENT is self-descriptive, and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA is another BSOD that typically shows up due to bad RAM. So either incorrect RAM settings, or bad RAM.

Run memtest86/Prime95 [blend test] and make sure the RAM passes without errors. If so, then you probably have a setting problem.
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 12:36:08 PM

Please remember to start your day with memtest. So when you start it 1st, don't load windows, load memtest. I've had a similar experience with a MB (since I had it with the replacement and completely different RAM also), in that my system would randomly BSOD/freeze just once after every long break (night+work day). It took me a week to remember that I want to run memtest (since running it later did not show errors) and there it was: 1 bit error, caught once by 1 test.

Just to all those with 400W is not enough, I tested my system (i5-2500, 16GB RAM, SSD, ATI5850) with a power meter, and I never exceeded 270W (Playing Skyrim at 1920x1080, don't remember AA). Note: this includes a switch and UPS. Even with an i7 and 5870, I don't think 300W AC would be achieved. Not to mention that the max 400W are DC.
m
0
l
April 5, 2012 4:05:51 PM

Well since the comp is on already I'll test the memory again tomorrow. (It BSOD again btw) was the x50 one again.
m
0
l
April 6, 2012 8:51:53 PM

mathew7 said:
Please remember to start your day with memtest. So when you start it 1st, don't load windows, load memtest. I've had a similar experience with a MB (since I had it with the replacement and completely different RAM also), in that my system would randomly BSOD/freeze just once after every long break (night+work day). It took me a week to remember that I want to run memtest (since running it later did not show errors) and there it was: 1 bit error, caught once by 1 test.

Just to all those with 400W is not enough, I tested my system (i5-2500, 16GB RAM, SSD, ATI5850) with a power meter, and I never exceeded 270W (Playing Skyrim at 1920x1080, don't remember AA). Note: this includes a switch and UPS. Even with an i7 and 5870, I don't think 300W AC would be achieved. Not to mention that the max 400W are DC.


Okay so today i start memtest86 upon the first startup of the day and the screen instantly filled with errors. Im on my laptop right now and the test is about 50% done with 10496 errors and growing.

My question is now what do I do just go and buy new ram?

Why do these errors only show up upon the first startup and disapear when the computer resets? Since I've ran memtest for 4 hours and didn't see any then.
m
0
l
April 9, 2012 8:09:09 AM

Follow these steps"::

Return hardware settings to default in Device Manager
Update drivers for your hardware
Return BIOS settings to their default levels. An overclocked or misconfigured BIOS can cause all sorts of random issues, including BSODs.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 9, 2012 5:57:02 PM

Quote:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Quote:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA


Both are memory related BSOD messages. Run memtest86/Prime95 [blend test]. Also ensure RAM has proper voltages/timings.

Quote:
Okay so today i start memtest86 upon the first startup of the day and the screen instantly filled with errors. Im on my laptop right now and the test is about 50% done with 10496 errors and growing.

My question is now what do I do just go and buy new ram?

Why do these errors only show up upon the first startup and disapear when the computer resets? Since I've ran memtest for 4 hours and didn't see any then.


Memtest is a picky beast. Sometimes it works great, othertimes, not so much. Hence why I recommend Prime95 as a secondary test now. Its clear you have a RAM related problem though.
m
0
l
April 11, 2012 5:47:36 PM

i don't recommend you to buy new ram before tasting it.
i mean we know that the problem in ram, but where in the ram? is it in the ram module it self(99%) or in the MotherBoard's ram block (1%)

i suggest u to borrow Ram from friend and test it.
or if u are using Dual/triple channel ram try to use one module and see which ram is defected.

Don't spend money unless you are sure where the problem is.

m
0
l
April 14, 2012 4:57:07 PM

Ok well I put knew ram in and ran Memtest on the first boot up and no errors and so far no blue screen so far. Hopefully there wont be one tomorrow then ill know for sure it fixed it.

I'll update tomorrow :) 
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 4:01:08 PM

Another day and still no BSOD, I think its fixed.

Thanks everyone for their help in finding what was causing my problems.
m
0
l
!