Sign in with
Your question

SB Live! 5.1 vs SB Audigy

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
May 6, 2002 9:36:35 PM

In your opinion is the Audigy worth double the price of the Live!5.1 sound card? And can you give me reasons why? Look forward to many subjective answers. Thanks in advance.

Newegg.com has the OEM Audigy for $60 + $5 s/h vs the Live!5.1 for $32 + $4 s/h.

Bob2001

More about : live audigy

May 6, 2002 10:03:53 PM

Well, hello there! :lol: 

No, it's not. But the Santa Cruz is.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
Anonymous
May 6, 2002 10:25:36 PM

Well, I am not going to spend a ton on sound. I know I get what I pay for. But I am a gamer and going from a SBLive! Value, which I have had no trouble whatsoever. See, I believe people don't really look for top notch Motherboards and such not thinking that will make a huge difference. Well, your Motherboard does...it is the backbone of your system. Anyway, it is either a SBLive!5.1 or a SB Audigy. Which one? Will I notice a difference going from Value? Are they both PCI 2.1 compliant? Thinking future compatiblity here. Thanks in advance.

Bob2001
Related resources
May 6, 2002 10:38:33 PM

Quote:
I know I get what I pay for.

Not always, though it depends on what you're looking for.

Why are the Live and Audigy the only two choices? You're not willing to look at other cards?

Of the two, the Audigy is definitely worth the price difference. Just get an OEM from Newegg.com, it's around $55, I think.

Anonymous
May 6, 2002 10:50:05 PM

Well, like I said I had no problems with SBLive!Value and I did have an AWE64 and I knew a friend who had a SB16 and an AWE32. and never had any problems. I just kinda stick to what I know I guess. Like Nvidia, I have had TNT, TNT2, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 MX400 and plan to purchase a GeForce3 Ti200 whenever the GeForce4 4200 comes on the market..price drops then. I am always looking for a deal. Just call me a bargain hunter. I can usually wait for the price drops. Not willing to get the latest and greatest with the latest and greatest price tag that follows. Just me. Plus I am a poor IT Pro. Anyway, I just wanted someone else's take on the Audigy. Thanks for your input...greatly appreciated.

Bob2001

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bob2001 on 05/06/02 06:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 6, 2002 10:58:43 PM

I believe FatBurger's trying to say that you'll be happier with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz than a SoundBlaster Audigy. :smile:

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
Anonymous
May 6, 2002 11:05:47 PM

I appreciate your advice, but I stick with what I know. Besides I am a gamer, not a audiophille. How does the Santa Cruz compare to Audigy? Got any sites, articles, etc.?

Bob2001
May 6, 2002 11:28:57 PM

The Santa Cruz kicks the Audigy's ass.

May 7, 2002 3:57:01 PM

Try "3dss.com" for detailed first impressions on the Audigy. Try "neoseeker.com" and search for reviews on the Audigy. Bottom line: if you're a gamer running an Intel chipset, the Audigy is an excellent choice and much better than the Live!. Games are coming out in the next couple months that use EAX HD, which no other card supports. Actually, Jedi Knight 2 already uses EAX HD but you have to hack some configuration file to get it. A future patch may put the EAX HD option in the main menu.

If you're running a non-Intel chipset, I recommend staying away from the Audigy.

As far as comparing against other cards, the EAX implementation within most games is designed specifically for the reverb engine in the Live! and Audigy. Cards based on the Sensaura chip (i.e. Santa Cruz or GTXP) or QSound (Philips Acoustic Edge) attempt to emulate this and sometimes do a good job, sometimes not. To hear exactly what the game developer intended it's best to go with Creative.

Ritesh
May 7, 2002 7:04:48 PM

Quote:
A future patch may put the EAX HD option in the main menu.

The 1.03 patch (released this morning?) does just that.

Quote:
As far as comparing against other cards, the EAX implementation within most games is designed specifically for the reverb engine in the Live! and Audigy. Cards based on the Sensaura chip (i.e. Santa Cruz or GTXP) or QSound (Philips Acoustic Edge) attempt to emulate this and sometimes do a good job, sometimes not. To hear exactly what the game developer intended it's best to go with Creative.

From my experience, Creative's terrible drivers make effects sound far worse than on other cards.

And don't forget that the Sensaura engine has the best 3D positioning.

May 7, 2002 9:26:21 PM

How many times do we have to beat you with this big stick, GET A SANTA CRUZ YOU'LL LIKE IT BETTER AND ITS CHEAPER! The Audigy has a hell of alot more problems and bugs in the drivers than Santa Cruz does. If i'd stuck with what i knew i'd still be using a bloody 5 1/4 floppy. Buy whats best, not what you've used before neccessarily, this is bloody insane logic your using.

EEEK, did somebody just call creative a monopoly on EAX? Trust me, santa cruz / GTXP are nothing to laugh at by way of 3d sound. I switched from audigy to GTXP which is the same card and engine as Santa Cruz and i definitely prefer it over the audigy. Audigy has greatly exaggerated sounds, the GTXP/Santa Cruz are more natural to my ears. I definitely prefer SC/GTXP over the audigy now.

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.
May 8, 2002 6:46:06 AM

HAHAH! Screw spending $60 bucks on a new card and just use the one you have. You said yourself that the sound isn't THAT important to you, so why bother? And if you aren't too worried about great sound then I assume you haven't bothered to get some decent speakers. Take that $60 bucks and get a GF4 ti4200 instead of the GF3.
May 8, 2002 1:43:15 PM

SB Live! has alot of problems with some newer systems especially in WinXP. Its worth upgrading from the live value if he's gonna run win2k or winxp. Otherwise....yea he should prolly just save the money since he's not that worried about sound quality it seems.

Btw, reply to the correct post-) otherwise it floods emails that have no application to me-)

GTXP
TI4600
Sennhieser HD580
Total Airhead
===================
= Total gaming immersion

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 05/08/02 09:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 9, 2002 6:52:49 AM

Argh! Sorry about that... I forgot that there was the option to get an email notice when people reply to your posts. I figured people prolly didn't use it anyway. I'll make it a point to reply to the correct post. Thanks.
!