Sign in with
Your question

Constant disconnecting on windows 7 64bit

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 23, 2012 8:05:59 PM

A little background:

I have a medialink USB adapter and medialink wireless router. I've had them configured for a couple of months and both seem to work fine. The issue is with only one system (main desktop computer running windows 7 64bit). I shut the system down over this past weekend and when I came back today, it said that it could not connect to the network and that the settings saved for my wireless network were incorrect.

After much frustration and googling, I finally performed a hard reset of my router (tiny button in the back) and redid all of the security settings (different SSID, different password). I finally got my desktop to connect to the network. When I connected, windows prompted me saying that I was sharing an IP address with another computer on this network. I canceled out of the prompt and my wifi worked fine. However, my computer has been randomly disconnecting from the network every few minutes for the last hour or so. I have to manually reconnect to the network every time this happens and it does not seem to stay connected for long periods of time. All other systems on the network (laptop and phone) do not have this problem.

Additional note: When first trying to fix the problem (before hard reset), I disabled the "Bonjour" service in windows AND ran the following command: netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt per a suggestion on a forum. I'm not sure if this would have changed anything even after the reset.

Thank you for any help.

a c 352 $ Windows 7
April 24, 2012 2:22:06 PM

Run an ipconfig command on all of your computers and check the router for anything else connected, phones, game systems.

An IP conflict will cause connection issues. You may want to manually set the computer to an IP that is several numbers over your highest IP in use.
m
l
April 24, 2012 2:33:54 PM

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to networking issues, but I did run an ipconfig last night after the issue presented itself.

I noticed that the IP on my main computer was the same as the default IP for the router (192.168.0.100), even well after I performed the reset. I have DHCP turned on on both my computer and on the router...shouldn't this IP be different than the default?

Let me know if I can provide any more information.
m
l
Related resources
a c 352 $ Windows 7
April 24, 2012 2:40:01 PM

The router should not be set to .0.100, what model is it? This would cause issues. Is that router connected to a modem or attached to another router?
m
l
April 27, 2012 11:27:48 AM

Router is a Medialink wireless-N model:

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-802-11n-Intern...

It is connected directly to my modem.

I lost power last night. When I went to turn my computer back on, it again would not connect to the network. My network had a red X through by it in the system tray and it said something like the settings saved for this network do not match. If I try to erase the settings in my wireless networks, then reconnect, it will say "limited connectivity" and will not work (it does ask me for my password). It seems the only way to resolve this is to again perform a hard reset on the router and change the settings. All other devices can connect to the network without issue currently.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue on my one system? Again, I have windows 7 64-bit.

The USB adapter on the problem PC is also medialink:

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-Adapter-802-11...
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
April 27, 2012 2:38:39 PM

Do a factory reset on the router, that will reset the router to the default IP again, which is 192.168.0.1

You will then need to connect to it and setup your wireless settings.
m
l
April 27, 2012 2:42:00 PM

Yep, that was my solution before...and it works until I shut down/restart that one computer again. Then the one computer will claim that the settings saved do not match the network. It's a very strange problem...

Should I maybe try a different security when I set the router up this time? (I have had it set on WPA-Personal--not sure if windows 7 would have an problem with this). The computer has no problem connecting when security is set to open on the router.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
April 27, 2012 2:46:48 PM

It's not the wifi, it's the IP in the router, you need to check to make sure it sticks to that same IP. If you like, you can go into the config and change it to 192.168.1.1, but make sure the rest of the settings match, so DHCP would be at 192.168.1.x also.
m
l
April 27, 2012 2:51:08 PM

Ok, I will try that when I get home tonight. So if I perform a reset using the small button on the back, the default IP on the router should not be 192.168.0.100, but should be 192.168.0.1 when I run an ipconfig?

I assume that my IP should change periodically on the problem PC as well?

Thanks.
m
l
a c 352 $ Windows 7
April 27, 2012 2:57:04 PM

foolycooly said:
Ok, I will try that when I get home tonight. So if I perform a reset using the small button on the back, the default IP on the router should not be 192.168.0.100, but should be 192.168.0.1 when I run an ipconfig?

I assume that my IP should change periodically on the problem PC as well?

Thanks.

Yes, the IP should reset on the router to default. The IP should not chance on the computers much, the DHCP service in the router will assign the same IP address to the same computer even when it renews.
m
l
!