Linking a WRT610N to the internet through a ZyXEL P-2601HN.

DavidDechel

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Hi all,

I am new on this forum, so please excuse me if this has been answered before or if I am posting in the wrong place.

I am trying to access the internet trough my WRT610N connected to a ZyXEL P-2601HN provided by my ISP.

I have the WRT610 all setup and working, but I cannot connect to the internet. I have tried a lot, but I really need help at this point.

The WRT610N is a the latest firmware version.

The WRT610 is connected (Internet) by cable to the Zyxel (one of the four ports)with a cat.5E patch cable.

I hope you can help – the wireless is so much better on the WRT610N than the ZyXel. I am not particularly good with computers and IP adresses, so please be very specific.

kind regards,

David

DavidDechel

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Thank you for the answer.

I did second option - the Zyxel was setup as 10.0.0.1 and I changed the Linksys to 10.0.0.3 and I got passage through after a few restarts.

However, now the speed of my Linksys has started to vary a lot (mostly being untolerably low). Any idea what is going on here and what I can do to get it up to speed?

are you trying to setup a separate network? if so computer connected to the Linksys will not be able to share files and printers with devices connected to the Zyxel.

in option 2 the Linksys LAN IP needs to be different from the Zyxel IP it should NOT be 10.0.0.xxx.

if the main reason you are using the Linksys is because of the N-wireless you are better off using option1

DavidDechel

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Thanks.

1. I'm not trying to setup different networks - In the past, all computers, NAS, phones etc. has been connected to the WRT610N.

2. I get your point about the IP - However, the 10.0.0.XX solution get's me through to the internet through the WRT610N - the "old" 192.168.1.1 did not... If it is just a question about the IP's not being identical, I guess that the 192..... should have worked as well.

3. I am using the WRT610N only because the range and stability of the ISP supplied ZyXEL is sub-standard.