Last response: in Windows 7
April 4, 2012 7:42:23 PM

Hello,
Dell Desktop mini tower
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Core i3, 2100 processor
4gb DDR SDRAM
Intel integrated HD graphics

There was a storm last night and power flicker outtage (a few seconds). PC is on a big block surge protector. This morning PC was on running fine. I was able to get on the Internet, open documents, save files. When I went to print to the copier, it would not send. So turned off copier and PC. Copier came back up but not PC. All the hardware passed the Dell diagnostic test.

PC loads to barely Windows screen, but never finishes and fades to almost black. It will not load in safe mode or safe w/command prompt or network. When I try repair option it loads some of the Windows files and then stops. I can get into bios and have tried using the Recovery disks I made when we got the PC, but no luck there. I do not have a Win 7 Home Premium disk. But, might can borrow one.

Dell says have to factory reset....
Is there anyway I can get to a C: prompt to try to access the files on the hard drive before doing any kind of reset?

More about : windows home boot safe mode

April 4, 2012 8:03:44 PM

You could use a boot disk or usb. Windows 98 boot (system) disk has all the commands you need to backup your data. You can download a .zip with the files needed. Then you should do a restore as dell advised.
m
l
April 4, 2012 8:11:50 PM

If you have the Windows 7 disc, start up the computer and hit F12 to boot off the DVD. Go into the recovery options, choose "command prompt" at the bottom.

Type "C:" without the exclamation marks and hit enter
Type "dir" and hit enter
Make sure the directories look like your C: drive, there should be the Users, Windows, Program File folders etc. If it is not right, try D:, E:, etc.

Once you know you are in the right drive, type "chkdsk /r" and hit enter. It will do a full check disc which will take about an hour.

After it is done, type "bootrec.exe /fixboot" and hit enter then "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" and hit enter. Reboot and try to boot into safe mode first.

If you don't have the DVD, try to hit F8 and choose "repair your computer", then follow the steps above.
m
l
Related resources
April 4, 2012 8:21:41 PM

I would start by checking the hardware. WD, Seagate and the rest have bootable diagnostics for the drives. Memtest86 for your RAM. Both are DOS bootable.
m
l
April 4, 2012 8:23:13 PM

ngrego said:
You could use a boot disk or usb. Windows 98 boot (system) disk has all the commands you need to backup your data. You can download a .zip with the files needed. Then you should do a restore as dell advised.

Thanks, I'll try this. I have an old Win 98 Upgrade disc. Man, I should have kept that old Windows 98 floppy! If this disc doesn't work, can I download a Win98 boot (system) from the Internet somewhere?
m
l
April 5, 2012 9:55:31 AM

I suggest starting all troubleshooting with the following diagnostic tests. They'll save you a lot of time and heartache if there is a hardware failure, and you'll have the disks on hand in case you need them in the future:
Quote:
H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
Memory Diagnostics (read the details at the link)
HD Diagnostic (read the details at the link)
Then run Startup Repair at least 3 times from the installation disk (or from here: Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files )
If that doesn't work, then try "bootrec /fixmbr" and "bootrec /fixboot" at the Command Prompt.

This presumes that your system isn't infected. If it is infected, you'll have to remove the infection first. I'd suggest posting over in the Security forums for assistance with using a rescue disk to remove viruses: System Security - Windows 7 Forums
m
l
April 5, 2012 1:03:34 PM

Do you get the "repair your computer" option when pressing F8? That would save you a lot of time, not to mention a Windows 98 boot disc may or may not recognize your hard drive.

You could always pull your hard drive and chkdsk it in another PC.
m
l
May 6, 2014 9:41:18 PM

Buy windows 7 live CD from market. and boot your system with this Window. window live CD will start a temporary window on your laptop. and then u can you inside C : drive to copy all your documents and then Rest the window as HP instructed .
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2014 9:58:07 PM

Try resetting the CMOS (simply sets hardware to factory defaults) , it won't affect your files, then try booting to safe mode
m
l
May 22, 2014 7:28:47 AM

OK, had this problem too, spent two days (to no avail) and then tried something on the long shot... I unplugged my HD from the mother board and plugged it back into a different slot. Bingo! It booted right up and I did not lose a thing on my HD. I had all of the normal issues prior to this...won't boot, running repair disk (didn't work), tried to use system restore (did not work), got blue screens, error messages, could not even boot into safe mode. Spent so much time when all it took was to use another HD slot on the motherboard. If you are having the same issues, just try it! I wish I had someone to tell me that before I wasted so much time! Good luck! One more tip...I think that changing my system to "sleep" is what triggered the event. I recommend not to use sleep mode at all.
m
l
May 23, 2014 10:23:48 PM

tpatrick said:
OK, had this problem too, spent two days (to no avail) and then tried something on the long shot... I unplugged my HD from the mother board and plugged it back into a different slot. Bingo! It booted right up and I did not lose a thing on my HD. I had all of the normal issues prior to this...won't boot, running repair disk (didn't work), tried to use system restore (did not work), got blue screens, error messages, could not even boot into safe mode. Spent so much time when all it took was to use another HD slot on the motherboard. If you are having the same issues, just try it! I wish I had someone to tell me that before I wasted so much time! Good luck! One more tip...I think that changing my system to "sleep" is what triggered the event. I recommend not to use sleep mode at all.

Is this a permanent solution? Will it happen again like all the other solutions?

Got this problem for two years now.

m
l
July 4, 2014 7:23:05 AM

kawininjazx said:
If you have the Windows 7 disc, start up the computer and hit F12 to boot off the DVD. Go into the recovery options, choose "command prompt" at the bottom.

Type "C:" without the exclamation marks and hit enter
Type "dir" and hit enter
Make sure the directories look like your C: drive, there should be the Users, Windows, Program File folders etc. If it is not right, try D:, E:, etc.

Once you know you are in the right drive, type "chkdsk /r" and hit enter. It will do a full check disc which will take about an hour.

After it is done, type "bootrec.exe /fixboot" and hit enter then "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" and hit enter. Reboot and try to boot into safe mode first.

If you don't have the DVD, try to hit F8 and choose "repair your computer", then follow the steps above.

I tried this and eventually looked over at my computer...it was off....now it will not power on. Annette
m
l
September 2, 2014 12:07:33 PM

this solution is not working we have tried with the disk and without the disk and it is not working.please help

m
l
September 2, 2014 12:09:31 PM

we have tried to do thid with the disk and without the disk, neither way has worked. we have tried everything on this laptop and nothing seems to be working correctly. the laptop is in safe mode and will not come out of safe mode. it will not let us move the mouse or anything of that sort only hit buttons and type. please help
m
l
September 13, 2014 10:54:45 AM

13341376,0,1667671 said:
OK, had this problem too, spent two days (to no avail) and then tried something on the long shot... I unplugged my HD from the mother board and plugged it back into a different slot. Bingo! It booted right up and I did not lose a thing on my HD. I had all of the normal issues prior to this...won't boot, running repair disk (didn't work), tried to use system restore (did not work), got blue screens, error messages, could not even boot into safe mode. Spent so much time when all it took was to use another HD slot on the motherboard. If you are having the same issues, just try it! I wish I had someone to tell me that before I wasted so much time! Good luck! One more tip...I think that changing my system to "sleep" is what triggered the event. I recommend not to use sleep mode at all.[/quotem

m
l
September 13, 2014 10:55:58 AM

But what if you have a laptop with Windows 7 and only one drive and one connection?

Geminexxe
m
l
September 28, 2014 1:52:30 AM

Let me try this buds today and see if it works. I'm so fed up and worried if I would loose all my data!!!
m
l
!