Playing audio/video directly from computer through stereo/..

Last response: in Home Audio
February 16, 2005 12:23:42 PM

Hello,

I am seeking a way to play audio and, if possible, video directly from
computer through stereo/video system via WiFi. While there are "media
routers" out there, they insist on being controlled via remote and TV
and do not support streaming services like Real Rhapsody or Cinema Now.
What I am seeking is something like a WiFi sound card. Any ideas?

Thanks, Leo.
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:00:23 AM

glevik@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,

> I am seeking a way to play audio and, if possible, video directly from
> computer through stereo/video system via WiFi. While there are "media
> routers" out there, they insist on being controlled via remote and TV
> and do not support streaming services like Real Rhapsody or Cinema Now.
> What I am seeking is something like a WiFi sound card. Any ideas?

? Even if your computer has WiFi, you'll still need something that
plugs physically into your stereo system, unless your receiver has
built-in WiFi reception.

The Slimdevices Squeezebox might be what you want, at least for
audio. Plugs into the receiver, doesn't require a TV connection.

--

-S
If you're a nut and knock on enough doors, eventually someone will open one,

As I've mentioned in a similar thread recently, the Apple AirPort
Express seems to do the audio part of what you want. Getting a unit to
do video will be quite a bit more expensive and the AirPort Express
doesn't do video.

As for audio, however, it's great. It works with PC and Mac and all you
do is load your music into iTunes and then play it back, selecting to
play through the AirPort, rather than the computer's speakers - it
couldn't be easier... It's WiFi (802.11g - 54Mbs) and it's tiny. It's
got analogue and digital optical outs and the sound quality is great.

Cheers,
Kai

!