Your question

Slower internet speeds with windows 7

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Internet
Last response: in Windows 7
February 5, 2010 10:27:43 AM

Hi.I'm dual booting windows 7 64bit and windows vista home premium 32bit.When using windows 7 the internet speeds when browsing ,streaming and downloading are significantly slower than when using vista.
I've tried a couple of solutions like disabling autotuning, resetting tcp , disabling kaspersky,running in safe mode, eliminating programs one by one but nothing seems to help.
I've seen in microsoft forums that quite a few people are having this problem with windows 7 but it seems like the answers are not answers at all but more like trying to avoid facing the issue.

More about : slower internet speeds windows

February 5, 2010 12:07:00 PM

what are u using as a base test? or are you just generalizing and how noticable is the speed difference. o and what browser are you using
m
l
February 5, 2010 12:17:56 PM

hi.I'm not using a base test because it's pretty obvious , I mean streaming is around 3-5 times slower, downloads can sometimes be up to 10 times slower, pages open much slower.I'm using ie8 and firefox on windows 7 and ie7 and firefox on windows vista and both browsers are slow.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2010 12:43:56 PM

that link i just posted deffinatly increased my speed because my rdp to my home computer is much smoother now
m
l
February 5, 2010 12:44:09 PM

No, It's a dsl cable connection.I checked the link but it seems to be a solution to a different problem.
m
l
February 5, 2010 12:52:11 PM

no its a speed issue caused by that new setting in 7 try disabling it
m
l
February 5, 2010 1:04:48 PM

I'll give it a try.This setting is also enabled in vista though by default.
m
l
February 5, 2010 1:18:31 PM

nope, still the same.
m
l
February 5, 2010 1:19:32 PM

kk sry i couldnt help
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 5, 2010 4:23:55 PM

I had a problem because my Kaspersky AND Windows firewall were running at the same time. Once I disabled Windows Firewall, things were much improved.

Do you have a software firewall installed other than Windows firewall? Have you disabled Windows firewall? I'd check all of that. Otherwise, possibly find updated drivers from your NIC manufacturer for Windows 7.

m
l
February 6, 2010 3:40:09 PM

ask ur service provider
m
l
July 7, 2011 12:45:56 AM

You may be connected to the wrong network or someone else is on your network using all of your bandwidth , to make this situation as clear you need to talk to your ISP ...........
After that check your internet speed test through this site http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ whether the speed is high or not.............
m
l
!