Hard Drive slowing down

After a few months of formatting a HD it begins to slow down. I am currently running Windows on a 40 gig 7200 RPM Hard drive and lately I have been noticing my windows is not as fast as it used to be.

If I partition the hard drive and make 1 partition only for windows and the other for all my programs will it still slow down windows?
12 answers Last reply
More about hard drive slowing down
  1. Have you checked to make sure DMA is still enabled?

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:
  2. Maybe your HD is starting to get filled up and/or your files are fragmented.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)
  3. How do I check if the DMA is still enabled?
  4. Go into your device manager and click on the primary, secondary or where ever you have the
    HDD. Which OS are you using?

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:
  5. I am running Windows XP. Also I run Diskeeper everyday.
  6. Click on "Contro Panel"..."System"..."Hardware" tab..."Device Manager"...double click "IDE ATA/ATAPI controlers" right click on "Primary or Secondary IDE channel"(wherever your HDD is) click "properties"..."Advanced Settings" tab...and make sure the transfer mode is "DMA If available". The current Transfer Mode will indicate what mode you are currently in. Example: ATA 100 would be "Ultra DMA Mode 5".

7. Yea its DMA if available.
  8. That is good. Other things that could slow it are: Too many programs running in the background or the drive is becomming full.

9. The longer you have windows, the slower ur pc gets. Thats the nature of windows. Xp isnt so bad, but its the same.

"The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a beer bottle, they're on TV."
  10. thats from files building up, if you clear the internet cache files, and cookies, then it usually speeds up a bit.
    and defragment, and disk cleanup. that is why those tools are there.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
  11. I disagree if you are talking about Win2000 or WinXP but If you are talking about Win 95, 98, 98se and ME,
    then yes they do slow down because system resources become full and won't fully clear without a reboot.

:lol: <b><font color=blue>Welcome to</font color=blue> <font color=red>Fredi's</font color=red><font color=blue> place.</font color=blue></b> :lol:
  12. generally your system runs better with the OS and program files on different partition to games.

thnings that also slow down your system.

1. full disk
    2. fragmented files
    3. too many programs installed
    4. fragmented registry
    5. too many programs loaded into memory at startup.

all are fixable with the right tools.

Today on Toms: Trisexual hamsters, anal applications of peanut butter and Marrage councilling!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Partition Formatting Storage