Odd Crashes

ANOMALY9

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
First off, I'd like to say that I am in no way a newbie at all things computer and technology. I also apologize for the lengthy post, but details have to be expressed. This is the first time that I am stumped and have seeked help on a board. I have been building my own computers since I was 15 (I am now nearly 29) and this is the first time I have ever encountered something like this.

I built a new workstation for myself. It is an AMD FX 6100 machine with 8GB and a HD6870 on W7 Ultimate 64-bit. Everything was perfect for about three weeks when suddenly I started experiencing odd crashes. At what seems like completely random times, my machine will lock up and the monitor only shows many skinny vertical rows of gradient colors. Almost always in grays or browns or reds; i then have to reset the MoBo and restart the machine. I remember this started the day after I updated to Catalyst 12.1. This is not only annoying, but I have also lost work files in Photoshop, SolidWorks and 3ds Max due to this. OK, so... I changed drivers back and forth for my GPU, nothing. I ran memory tests on my RAM, nothing. Windows updates, nothing. Problem still randomly persists. I thought, maybe the GPU is defective? So I swapped it with my older machine which is a Phenom 9600 and has a HD4650. The problem still persists on the FX machine running the HD4650. So I thought it wasn't an issue with the GPU. SO I THOUGHT. On one of the random crashes, I not only lost work files, but also SolidWorks would not start at all, even if I uninstalled and re-installed it. So, while re-installing Windows to fix the Solidworks issue, I started working on my old Phenom machine (which now has the new HD6870.) Now the old Phenom machine is experiencing the same symptoms! I have had this machine since the Phenom 9600 was brand new, it has been years and it has always been rock-solid! What gives? Is the GPU ruining whatever motherboard it touches? Are the new (12.1+) Catalyst drivers super buggy? I am at a complete loss and I can't get any work done in a timely manner. Can anybody give me any ideas, please?

ANOMALY9

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Thanks for the suggestion. I have ran anti-virus checks and nothing has come up.. My computer seems clean. I didn't think this was gonna be the case, since I don't install dodgy software... That I know of.

But something strange just happened right now. I turned on my desk lamp and my display immediately went all wonky, kind of like the row of bars I mentioned earlier, but I could still move the mouse around. However, the mouse was now only a black box. Then it fully crashed about 10 seconds later. I hadn't really thought about this.. But... I just moved to a new place. Could the wiring be all screwed up to the point that it is somehow affecting my PSU? I have my computer, monitor, speakers and media server on a surge protector, while the desk lamp is on another outlet of the room. Could this have damaged my PSU's?