Your replacement frequency?

Tags:
April 28, 2004 1:12:03 AM

Hi all,

I've noticed quite a few people talking about upgrading their PDA every year or
so and I was wondering if these people are rich or PDAs are just cheap in the US
compared to the average wage.

I live a very comfortable life in Australia on a wage that isn't top tax bracket
but a fair bit more than the minimum wage. I own my own house and car and go out
to restaurants/cinema whenever I want. I have plenty of stuff too that even my
co-workers see as frivolous. Anyway, I'm just trying to paint the picture.

I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years ago with a
Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at the time I think) and the T|T
cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).

I can't justify replacing it so soon, even though I'd love a T|T3 and they are
now only AU$600 (US$400).

So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?

Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume" other gadgets
at a similar rate?
--
Ben Thomas

Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
limit.

More about : replacement frequency

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:12:04 AM

Previously on comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, BenOne© said:

; So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?

I upgrade my electronics either when they break or when I decide I want
a feature/function not available on my current hardware. For example,
I went from a Palm IIIx to a Clie N610 because it was the first color
device that did not hurt my eyes, and I wanted a) color b) external
storage and c) faster processor. I upgraded to an N760 because it was
given to me as payment for a job. I upgraded to a T615 because it had
a better form-factor (thinner and lighter) and it was marginally
faster. I didn't need an MP3 player on my pda, so that was no loss. A
few months ago, I upgraded to a Kyocera 7135 because I was tired of
carrying a phone and pda when there were combo devices of sufficient
quality now.

; Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume" other gadgets
; at a similar rate?

I upgrade other gadgets on the same principle. How fast that becomes
depends on breakage and feature additions.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan <*> www.gordol.org
The from userid is killfiled <*> Send personal mail to gordol

"The vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world.
And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice." -
George W. Bush (Washington DC, Oct 27 2003)
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:12:04 AM

BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:
>I've noticed quite a few people talking about upgrading their PDA every year or
>so

I've been pretty much on the yearly plan. With an infinite amount of
money I might do it more often, but the pain of converting to a new
model always sours me on the "upgrade" for at least a while.

It's sort of a combination of wearout, damage (dropping, static shock,
graffitti wear, etc), and the "just gotta have" features of the new
models.

>Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume" other gadgets
>at a similar rate?

Tha't pretty much it. Cellphones have reached the "appliance" stage,
and buying one with a camera, flash, _and_ electric dog polisher just
doesn't do much for me. Computers are on a 3-year schedule, I'm
hoping my car will last a decade, and I'm going to buy a maximum of
one more house. Pens, flashlights, guns, watches, and pocket knives
don't count, because they aren't consumed, I'm just stockpiling. 8*)

I probably buy $500 worth of books for my Pilot in a year, or I did
when I was buying _all_ the Baen books in a year. Peanut/Palm has had
a good chunk of change for eBooks over the years as well.

I've still got (AFAICT) every Palm my wife and I have ever bought or
beta tested, and some that people have given me for my junk box:

USR Pilot 5000
USR Pilot Pro (3)
3Com PIII
3Com Palm V (2)
3Com Palm Vx (sold it?)
TRG TRG Pro (2)
Handera 330
Treo 180 (sold it)
Treo 270

And we're using a T3 and a Treo 600, and we've got our eyes on the
TapWave Zodiac and whatever Treo will be out around the end of the
year (BlueTooth would be nice). They aren't that expensive,
comparable to buying a $1500 computer every 3 years, and we do that
without a qualm...

--
William Smith
April 28, 2004 2:38:17 AM

While intrepidly exploring comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, BenOne© rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years
> ago with a Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at
> the time I think) and the T|T cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).

You sure about your timing? The m500 and m505 were released in
March 2001, that's only 3 years ago. ANd the T|T was released in
October 2002, making it about a year and a half.

> So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still
> works)?

PalmPilot Pro - December 1997 (which I still have)
Palm III - December 1998 (for flip cover, memory and IR)
Palm Vx - June 2000 (for recharg. batteries, appearance, memory)
M500 - December 2001 (for SD card, gave Vx to my wife)
M515 - December 2002 (for color screen, plus m500 digitizer died)

Looking back, ouch. I didn't think about how often I upgraded. But
the basic point is that I have upgraded when there is something
compelling in the new model - increased memory, expansion memory,
etc.

And while there's a lot of technical improvement in processors and
screens, and increased "extras" (D-pad, headphone jack), neither
Palm nor any of the PalmOS licensees have produced something that I
like stylistically as much as I like my m515.

I may well carry it until it absolutely dies on me.

> Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume"
> other gadgets at a similar rate?

I don't upgrade ANYTHING at the rate at which I have upgraded my
Palm handheld. Now that I think about it, what was I thinking!?!?
;)

--
Derek

There is an island of opportunity in the middle of every
difficulty. Miss that, though, and you're pretty much doomed.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 2:38:18 AM

Derek <news@gwinn.us> wrote in message news:<Xns94D8B36D7EFE7dagwinn@130.133.1.4>...
> But the basic point is that I have upgraded when there is something
> compelling in the new model - increased memory, expansion memory,
> etc.

Which is the big pitfall with technology. No matter how current and
fancy your new piece of gadgetry is when you buy it, 6+ months down
the road it will be old news and some new model will usurp it.

Regarding the original topic, I bought a T|T a little over a year ago
for about $400 (i think...don't quote me on that number). While these
new models coming out look enticing and I wouldn't mind some of the
features offered in the Palm T|T3 or even the Sony TH55, I fight the
urge every time I consider it.

Basically it boils down to Need vs. Want, which I try to practice
religiously, especially in respect to computer parts and electronics.
My T|T does all that I 'need' it to do, and while some of the newer
features would be nice to have, they aren't necessary and thus don't
justify the cost of a new device. Until my current palm is dead
beyond salvation (I've already performed some open-palm surgery to
repair the digitizer drift syndrome), I won't be purchasing a new one.
Sure, I make enough money to afford purchasing a new PDA every year
or so, but I'd much rather put that $400-$500 to better use somewhere
that will provide a better return.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:00:41 AM

In article <k9im6c.il8.ln@192.168.11.2>, BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate>
wrote:

> I've noticed quite a few people talking about upgrading their PDA every year
> or
> so and I was wondering if these people are rich or PDAs are just cheap in the
> US compared to the average wage.

Electronic goods are cheaper in the US. Especially when there's a sale.

But on the net, obviously you are going to hear the upgraders more.
People would more likely to come out and talk about it if they've just
upgraded and encountered exciting new features, or major bugs. So it's
a bit biased.

> I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years ago with a
> Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at the time I think) and the
> T|T cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).

Didn't realise that M505 is already 5 years old. Are you sure about
that? Shock!

> So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?

I upgrade on the basis of performance needs. My Palm Vx developed the
crazy digitizer syndrome out of warranty. I lived a little longer with
it until one day I just could no longer put up with it. Since my move
to M515, I've been happy in terms of speed and functionalities. Apart
from the lower 160x160 resolution and the pain of sticking in and out
of a Bluetooth card, it has functioned well for my needs. So at least
2+ years, or is it 3+, down the track and having it on me all the time,
I suspect that I'll have it for a while longer. The current T series
machines are nice and convenient, but the performance improvement for
my uses isn't great enough yet. Maybe another year or two. ;)

The other way people do it is to buy and sell (eg. eBay) early. So the
annual cost of ownership is in the change-over cost ($150-250). This
can sometimes be equated to owning one machine to its end (3-5 years).
But you'll have to do your own calculations. And don't forget the tax
deductions in your equation if it's applicable.

April 28, 2004 3:29:25 AM

BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote:
> So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?

I bought a Palm Vx in December 1999, then I bought a Sony CLIE UX50 in
December 2003. The Vx served me well, especially since I could upgrade the
OS from 3.1->3.3->3.5->4.1. I still keep it, because of the small size and
better battery life, although I don't carry it with me every day.
The UX50 has WiFi and usable wide screen while still fitting in a shirt
pocket, which is why I chose that model, despite it being clumsy and with a
bad battery life.

> Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume"
> other gadgets at a similar rate?

My PalmOS PDA is too important a gadget for me to replace it often. Just
like my operating systems, server and router, which are too important to
jeopardize with unneccessary upgrades or replacements. Other gadgets, I buy
or upgrade much more often, including PC upgrades that I strictly don't need
(like faster CD burners when I burn like 1 CD per month, or a fancier
keyboard, when the first thing I do is turning off all the extra keys...)
But the real important stuff only gets upgraded when there's a real need for
it. The price and "geeky extras" are of far less importance than function
and apparent quality.
For less important things, geekiness is #1, while price still is of
secondary importance, as long as it's affordable.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

In article <k9im6c.il8.ln@192.168.11.2>, nosp@m.thanks.mate says...
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed quite a few people talking about upgrading their PDA every year or
> so and I was wondering if these people are rich or PDAs are just cheap in the US
> compared to the average wage.

I've owned:
Original Palm Pilot, (upgraded from .5 meg to 1 meg.)
Palm III (gave to daughter)
Palm V (gave to other daughter)
Handspring Visor Prism, (upgraded for color)
Clie TH55 (gave Prism to Palm III daughter)

I felt slightly guilty when I bought the Prism,
and guilty again 2 yrs. later when I got the Clie. But the Prism's
battery life was bad and I had stopped carrying it. I set it to
alarm reminders b/4 I left for work and again when
I got home, but I really needed to carry a PDA. I bought
the Clie for the awesome battery life, so this one looks to
be a keeper.

I'm not rich, but I work for a company that gives bonuses
every year, so at least my PDA funds do not come out
of household expenses.
MaryW
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:45:19 AM

While intrepidly exploring comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, Whytoi rolled
initiative and posted the following:

>> I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years
>> ago with a Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at
>> the time I think) and the T|T cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).
>
> Didn't realise that M505 is already 5 years old. Are you sure
> about that? Shock!

It's not. It was released March 2001, which makes it 3 years and 1
month old.

--
Derek

The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend
to assume you're pretentious.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:56:09 AM

On 27 Apr 2004 22:38:17 GMT, Derek wrote:
> While intrepidly exploring comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, BenOne? rolled
> initiative and posted the following:

>> I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years
>> ago with a Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at
>> the time I think) and the T|T cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).

> You sure about your timing? The m500 and m505 were released in
> March 2001, that's only 3 years ago. ANd the T|T was released in
> October 2002, making it about a year and a half.

You're forgetting to convert between AU years and US years. ;-)

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> Tha't pretty much it. Cellphones have reached the "appliance" stage,
> and buying one with a camera, flash, _and_ electric dog polisher just
> doesn't do much for me.

Yeah, but you should see the one with the gasoline powered turtleneck
sweater. I hear that one's really cool.

Although, personally I don't actually have a cell phone. I went
to the PalmSource conference, and I think I might be willing to
bet a fair amount of money that out of the few thousand people
there, I was actually the only one who doesn't have a cell phone.

And I might as well list my Palm history:

1995 or so: got a Pilot 1000
1996 or so: sold Pilot 1000 to pay for Palm Professional
1997 or 1998: got a 2MB Upgrade for the Palm Professional
2002: got an m505
2003: got a Tungsten T essentially on permanent loan

So I haven't really upgraded that much. Of all these things,
the only one I regret is selling the Pilot 1000. But I think
I got $100 or so for it, and that allowed me to get the
Palm Professional, so maybe it was worth it.

- Logan
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 9:16:03 AM

Moot wrote:

> Which is the big pitfall with technology. No matter how current and
> fancy your new piece of gadgetry is when you buy it, 6+ months down
> the road it will be old news and some new model will usurp it.
>
> Regarding the original topic, I bought a T|T a little over a year ago
> for about $400 (i think...don't quote me on that number). While these
> new models coming out look enticing and I wouldn't mind some of the
> features offered in the Palm T|T3 or even the Sony TH55, I fight the
> urge every time I consider it.

Hard, isn't it? :)

> Basically it boils down to Need vs. Want, which I try to practice
> religiously, especially in respect to computer parts and electronics.
> My T|T does all that I 'need' it to do, and while some of the newer
> features would be nice to have, they aren't necessary and thus don't
> justify the cost of a new device. Until my current palm is dead
> beyond salvation (I've already performed some open-palm surgery to
> repair the digitizer drift syndrome), I won't be purchasing a new one.

What did that involve?

> Sure, I make enough money to afford purchasing a new PDA every year
> or so, but I'd much rather put that $400-$500 to better use somewhere
> that will provide a better return.

My thoughts exactly.

--
Ben Thomas

Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
limit.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:57:01 PM

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?= wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed quite a few people talking about upgrading their PDA every
year or
> so and I was wondering if these people are rich or PDAs are just cheap in
the US
> compared to the average wage.

I guess it would depend on your priorities and how often you use your
device. Some people, myself included, have sweet spots in terms of price
range where they expect to pay a certain amount of money for a PDA and will
buy a new one as soon as one they like hits that sweet spot.

> I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years ago with a
> Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at the time I think) and
the T|T
> cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).
>
> I can't justify replacing it so soon, even though I'd love a T|T3 and
they are
> now only AU$600 (US$400).

My first Palm device was a Palm III and I quickly found myself limited by
its 2MBs of memory and upgraded using a memory card that TRG (later
HandEra) made at the time. I stuck with that Palm for about a and a half
until a new company called Handspring came out with a line of relatively
inexpensive Palm devices. I bought a Visor Deluxe and was very happy with
it for about a year until the Visor Platinum started dropping in price.

I similarly, upgraded to the Visor Pro and bought a Visor Prism (mostly for
fun) when they dropped in price. This was during a span of about two years
when I felt that I was doing particularly well financially.

At some point I started using my Visor as a cell phone using Handspring's
VisorPhone module. It made for a very smart but clunky cell phone so I
upgraded to the Treo 180g almost as soon as that device came out. That was
despite its high price in part because more than a year of using my Visor
as a cell phone had convinced me of two things: I'd never be happy with and
ordinary cell phone after having a Palm-based one and that using my Visor
as a cell phone was a pain in the ass -- it was too damn big and I had to
swap modules in and out. I only lasted a few months with the 180g before
upgrading to the Treo 270 which is the machine I've been using for almost
two years.

I'm not doing as well financially as in the past and my 270 is good enough
that I can resist the lure of newer models. Despite that, I recently bought
a Palm Tungsten E. It can't really replace my Treo since it's not also a
cell phone but it was very cheap and comes with a lot of the new features
that would normally draw me away from my Treo to other devices.

> So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?
>
> Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume" other
gadgets
> at a similar rate?

Goodness no. I usually use the same PC for years and years before replacing
it. PDAs because of their lower prices and more personal nature tend to
inspire a strong technolust in their users.
--
Does this .sig make my butt look big?

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:46:48 PM

BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message news:<elen6c.2ev.ln@192.168.11.2>...
> Moot wrote:
> > Until my current palm is dead
> > beyond salvation (I've already performed some open-palm surgery to
> > repair the digitizer drift syndrome), I won't be purchasing a new one.
>
> What did that involve?

It was scary at first, I'll admit that. I had been tossing around the
idea for a while and didn't want to risk breaking it and being forced
to buy a new pda, but it eventually got so bad that I decided I either
needed to do something about it or I 'would' have to buy a new pda.

Between this discussion (specifically, pay attention to the posts by
AzureGuy and those responding to him):
http://www.palminfocenter.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=...

And these instructions:
http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

It wasn't all that hard. Just make sure you take your time if you do
it.

The first time I took it apart, I just did as the discussion stated
and cleaned and reconnected the screen connectors. The problem seemed
to go away but came back about a month later. The next time I took it
apart, I used some tape and applied it over the connectors on the
bottom right (oriented as in step 12 in the take apart instructions)
and the problem has been dormant for probably about 2 months so far.
It comes back every once in a while, but one calibration and it
doesn't come back for weeks, unlike the hour-to-hour basis I used to
be on.
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 2:09:14 AM

well, my 1st palm was a M105, like 3-4 years ago. I got it as a gift
form the bank, as it was quite obsolete already. Still, I loved it, and
when my GF "borrewed" it permanentely as an ebook reader, I decided to
get a Zire71. I needed an MP3 player anyway, and the digital camera was
also interesting (and I don't need more quality anyway...) The SD card
slot, and the increased memory over the 8 megs my M105 had was just
enough to tip the balance. That and the rebate they got this spring ;)
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 3:51:39 PM

BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> :
> Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume" other
> gadgets at a similar rate?

IMHO, the frequency in which you replace gadgets like Palms should be
revelant to our need for an upgrade.

I'm a fairly technical person, I'm a web designer and Mac fanatic and
I use all kinds of gadgets and gizmos. But I'm only using the
"entry-level" Palm Zire 21. I probably won't upgrade anytime soon,
because that's all I need. I don't need a color screen because I don't
take photos places with me, and I'm not into "serious" gaming on the
Palm. I don't need additional memory because 8MB is more than enough
for my files, games, and eBooks. However, I did upgrade my computer
recently when I found that I needed more processing power for some
applications.

Really, it all depends on what you need. If you're comfortable with
the Palm you have now then why bother upgrading? But if you need a
feature your current Palm doesn't have, then maybe it would be a good
idea to upgrade.

Mike / dpb19601
April 29, 2004 4:20:11 PM

BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message news:<k9im6c.il8.ln@192.168.11.2>...
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed quite a few people talking about upgrading their PDA every year or
> so and I was wondering if these people are rich or PDAs are just cheap in the US
> compared to the average wage.
>
> I live a very comfortable life in Australia on a wage that isn't top tax bracket
> but a fair bit more than the minimum wage. I own my own house and car and go out
> to restaurants/cinema whenever I want. I have plenty of stuff too that even my
> co-workers see as frivolous. Anyway, I'm just trying to paint the picture.
>
> I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years ago with a
> Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at the time I think) and the T|T
> cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).
>
> I can't justify replacing it so soon, even though I'd love a T|T3 and they are
> now only AU$600 (US$400).
>
> So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?
>
> Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume" other gadgets
> at a similar rate?

I bought a Palm IIIXE in 1999, and used it until the digitizer went
wacky this winter (January). I was left with acute PalmOS withdrawl,
so I went out and bought the first Zire 71 I came across.... I like
it! Boy, have things changed in 4 years!

No, I don't think most people upgrade more often than I do - most of
my co-workers have Palm V's and they're not thinking of upgrading. I
think there are a few gadget-o-holics who spend everything over their
food and rent on electronic toys, but most of us have kids to feed,
mistresses to keep and cars to repair. My PDA is an essential part of
my work, and I'm using it on the weekends as an E-book reader, but
that's all. Any old PDA would probably do the job just as well.

ECM
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 10:35:08 AM

BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message news:<k9im6c.il8.ln@192.168.11.2>...
> So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?

Let's see...

* 1997: bought PP Personal
* 1998: upgraded the motherboard to a PIII
* 1999: fell on it, bought IIIx
* 1999: lost it (still working), bought IIIxe
* 2000: dropped it (OK, so it wasn't still working, but...), bought
another IIIxe
* 2001: lost it, bought another IIIxe
* 2002: wanted hi-res & color, bought Clie 610
* 2004: digitizer started to go, bought T2

Damn, that's more than I thought! 8 units in 7 years, and only two of
them were replacements for broken units.
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 3:07:33 PM

Some guy named Paul Zorovich <mooseandsquirrel@mailcity.com> wrote:

> fell on it
> lost it
> dropped it
> lost it

If I ever meet you, remind me not to let you play with any of my toys.

;)

-zoara-

--
"I didn't expect the voice of karma to be called Bob."
-- Giles, uk.comp.sys.mac

I normally replace my PDA when there is something wrong with it. The fancy
gadgets/add-ins/enhancements normally don't make me buy it right away.

The company I worked for gave me a PalmIII which I kept for 1 year before
having to return it back to the company when I left. I then bought a Visor
Deluxe and kept it until it started to show some significant wear but was
still usable (1.5 years). I got the VisorPhone attachment and used it as a
cellphone as well. I then upgraded to a Visor Prism just as Handspring was
ending the Visor line of products. I continued to use my VisorPhone even
though it was very clunky and large. The Treo line of phones came out and I
continued to use my VisorPhone and VisorPrism combination. It wasn't until I
dropped my VisorPrism that I upgraded to my current Treo600. My VisorPrism
still works by the way but because I dropped it and the case cracked open
(screen is still intact and not cracked), the graffiti recognition was very
bad and I had to upgrade it.

All in all, I've upgraded/replaced my PDA, once every 1.5 years but only
because of a problem and the unit was no longer under warranty. I hope to
keep using my Treo600 for at least 2 years before having to buy another
PDA/cellphone combo unit.
"BenOne©" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed quite a few people talking about upgrading their PDA every
year or
> so and I was wondering if these people are rich or PDAs are just cheap in
the US
> compared to the average wage.
>
> I live a very comfortable life in Australia on a wage that isn't top tax
bracket
> but a fair bit more than the minimum wage. I own my own house and car and
go out
> to restaurants/cinema whenever I want. I have plenty of stuff too that
even my
> co-workers see as frivolous. Anyway, I'm just trying to paint the picture.
>
> I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years ago with a
> Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at the time I think) and
the T|T
> cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).
>
> I can't justify replacing it so soon, even though I'd love a T|T3 and they
are
> now only AU$600 (US$400).
>
> So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?
>
> Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume" other
gadgets
> at a similar rate?
> --
> Ben Thomas
>
> Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the
speed
> limit.
Anonymous
May 3, 2004 11:34:32 AM

me3@privacy.net (zoara) wrote in message news:<1gd39yq.1aey1y8od787zN%me3@privacy.net>...
> Some guy named Paul Zorovich <mooseandsquirrel@mailcity.com> wrote:
>
> > fell on it
> > lost it
> > dropped it
> > lost it
>
> If I ever meet you, remind me not to let you play with any of my toys.

Hee! That *was* a bad year for PDAs in the Zorovich house...

At least I was able to partially write 'em off as non-reimbursed business expenses.

/pz
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 5:52:43 AM

I've had a Handspring Visor Deluxe since they came out. It still
works great. I just gave it to my wife a few days ago and bought a
used Sony SJ-22 because I wanted the colour 320x320 screen.

I read ebooks all the time on my Palm, and thought the Visor was good
enough, but my new (to me) hi-res screen has made me the happiest man
in the world.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 8:08:04 PM

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@bigcompanies.com> wrote in
message news:7WTkc.87231$6V5.1259881@weber.videotron.net...
> I normally replace my PDA when there is something wrong with it. The fancy
> gadgets/add-ins/enhancements normally don't make me buy it right away.

Likewise - I see no reason to replace my current Palm (a IIIx) until it
breaks.
So far, it's done 4 1/2 years with no problems (and of course, no
rechargeable battery to go bad).
I'd expect to get at least another 4-5 years use out of the thing. It does
everything I want of a PDA.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 3:57:47 AM

BenOne© wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've noticed quite a few people talking about upgrading their PDA every
> year or so and I was wondering if these people are rich or PDAs are just
> cheap in the US compared to the average wage.
>
> I live a very comfortable life in Australia on a wage that isn't top tax
> bracket but a fair bit more than the minimum wage. I own my own house
> and car and go out to restaurants/cinema whenever I want. I have plenty
> of stuff too that even my co-workers see as frivolous. Anyway, I'm just
> trying to paint the picture.
>
> I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years ago with a
> Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at the time I think) and
> the T|T cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).
>
> I can't justify replacing it so soon, even though I'd love a T|T3 and
> they are now only AU$600 (US$400).
>
> So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?
>
> Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume" other
> gadgets at a similar rate?
I only replace mine when the old one stops working.....going from a
Visor Deluxe to a Visor Prism now on a Tungsten C. I hope to use it
for severla years yet.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 10:29:11 PM

I, too, replace a PDA only when it breaks. Current one is a Sony
SL-10, which I've had for about a year and a half. Still going
strong, and I hope it lasts a long time. The one I had before that
was a Treo - and it broke after 6 months of use (the battery gave out,
the thing started resetting itself, lost all my data 4 times - sad
story). The Clie is much more reliable. I use my Palm for keeping
business information - not something I'd care to lose on a regular
basis.

I do, occasionally, eye the new color devices with a certain amount of
interest, but I figure I can wait. Also, the SL-10 runs on AAA
batteries, which I really like (again, it's a reliability issue - it's
easy to find AAA batteries when you need them), and I don't think any
of the color ones do. Or do they?

LM

> [...]
> even my
> > co-workers see as frivolous. Anyway, I'm just trying to paint the picture.
> >
> > I bought an M505 about 5 years ago then replaced it 2.5 years ago with a
> > Tungsten T. The M505 cost about AU$600 (US $250 at the time I think) and
> the T|T
> > cost AU$800 (US$600 at the time).
> >
> > I can't justify replacing it so soon, even though I'd love a T|T3 and they
> are
> > now only AU$600 (US$400).
> >
> > So how often do you upgrade (when your existing PDA still works)?
> >
> > Is it the only piece of electronics you have or do you "consume" other
> gadgets
> > at a similar rate?
> > --
> > Ben Thomas
> >
> > Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 3:10:25 AM

Larisa wrote:

> I, too, replace a PDA only when it breaks. Current one is a Sony
> SL-10, which I've had for about a year and a half. Still going
> strong, and I hope it lasts a long time. The one I had before that
> was a Treo - and it broke after 6 months of use (the battery gave out,
> the thing started resetting itself, lost all my data 4 times - sad
> story). The Clie is much more reliable. I use my Palm for keeping
> business information - not something I'd care to lose on a regular
> basis.
>
> I do, occasionally, eye the new color devices with a certain amount of
> interest, but I figure I can wait. Also, the SL-10 runs on AAA
> batteries, which I really like (again, it's a reliability issue - it's
> easy to find AAA batteries when you need them), and I don't think any
> of the color ones do. Or do they?

I dropped my Palm twice recently and now the digitizer is playing up and needing
resetting every couple of days. How ironic. T3 with free wireless keyboard is
looking very attractive right now.

--
Ben Thomas

Apparently less than 10% of accidents are caused by drivers exceeding the speed
limit.
May 31, 2004 3:42:58 AM

On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:10:25 GMT, BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> waived
the right to be silent and professed:

>I dropped my Palm twice recently and now the digitizer is playing up and needing
>resetting every couple of days. How ironic. T3 with free wireless keyboard is
>looking very attractive right now.

If yours is a TT, follow these instructions to take it apart.

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

Re-seat all connections and you should be fine. I did mine over the
weekend because I, too, had dropped it.

Beware! You will be disconnecting the battery in the process, so you
will need to reload from scratch (not always a bad thing anyway).

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Anonymous

Bruno wrote:

> On Sun, 30 May 2004 23:10:25 GMT, BenOne© <nosp@m.thanks.mate> waived
> the right to be silent and professed:
>

>>I dropped my Palm twice recently and now the digitizer is playing up and needing
>>resetting every couple of days. How ironic. T3 with free wireless keyboard is
>>looking very attractive right now.
>

> If yours is a TT, follow these instructions to take it apart.
>
> http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...
>
> Re-seat all connections and you should be fine. I did mine over the
> weekend because I, too, had dropped it.
>
> Beware! You will be disconnecting the battery in the process, so you
> will need to reload from scratch (not always a bad thing anyway).

Thanks Bruno. I'll give it a try. Although I really would like an excuse to
upgrade to the T3.

--

!