aphix

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
Hey, Can anyone shed some light on a problem i am having with a repair weve got in at work. the spec is as follows:

p4 1.8ghz (not overclocked)
256mb Pc133
10gb 5400 seagate hdd
gigabyte mobo,
32mb tnt2
Win 2k:

Basically the machine will hang after 2 hours or so. As far as i can see it happens, after 2 hours or so, both when it is being used as well as when it is left free.

So far i have swapped the memory, just changed manafatures. I have also swapped video cards, as it looked like a video card problem to start with, the graphics card is now a mercury SIS305.

I have left it running overnight again (as it was last night) with the hard drive transplanted into another machine, this time which is identical except it is a p4 1.6 instead of 1.8, same PSU, same generation CPU, same fan, MOBO memory and gcard. Just to test to see if the hard drive is at fault. I have tried to keep as many varibles the same as possible (a) to stop windows blue screening on boot and (b) track down the problem quicker.

If it has fallen over when i get in tommorow then i can be fairly sure it is a faulty HDD, but if it is fine then i will change the PSU to a 350W (its running a 300W now, i dont know if this is sufficient for a 1.8 p4)

Has anyone experienced problems, similar to the above on a machine.

The machine is in an office, used to run MS XP ed. apps, basically as a typical office machine, no games, no heavy CPU loads

any suggestions would be very helpfull (within the next 12 hours)

-rob

aphix

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2002
oh an by the way, the CPU temp is 40 degrees on the immediate reboot,

ive ruled out the memory and graphics card