How to remove Grills from BOSE 901s?

Last response: in Home Audio
February 19, 2005 9:12:55 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.forsale,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

I have a pair of BOSE 901s III.

How do you remove the grills to get at the speakers, without damaging the
grill cloth or the wood?

Thanks in advance.

Kent
khufford@comcast.net
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:12:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.forsale,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Warning to group : the following is a straight answer to the posters
question. No anti Bose flames are included.

When I did this a few months ago to check for possible foam surround decay,
which I had heard was a problem with these speakers, especially since mine
are at least 20 years old, I put a 1 inch thick block of wood against the
outer edge of the speaker housing, and pried with a 3 inch wide masonry
chisel on the edge of the grill. The chisel was wide enough that it did not
damage the grill, and the block of wood prevented damage to the housing. It
did not take much force to pry them off. I guess basically I am saying
just pry them off placing some sort of material between the speaker and
whatever you use to pry with.

To put them back on I just tapped them firmly back into place. Just line up
the little nails in the grill with the original holes in the frame.

The foam surrounds were fine, by the way.

"KENT HUFFORD" <khufford@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D OWdnSHjg750WorfRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
>I have a pair of BOSE 901s III.
>
> How do you remove the grills to get at the speakers, without damaging the
> grill cloth or the wood?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Kent
> khufford@comcast.net

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:59:35 PM

In <ynSRd.245337$w62.185766@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, on
02/20/05
at 02:13 AM, "JohnR66" <nospam@att.net> said:

[ ... ]

>I don't own Bose products, but I wonder why it is attacked when
>mentioned in the groups?
>Just wondering, John

The world is polar with respect to Bose products. One group loves them,
the other hates them -- there is no middle ground.

Since everyone likes to feel that they purchased the best product,
either for the price or in an absolute sense, criticism of the product
is not welcome. If you consider yourself an expert and an advice seeker
purchases contray to your advice, then they are stupid. If you consider
yourself a novice and an "expert" (often self styled) claims you got it
wrong, then you beat-up on yourself for being stupid.

Some of the posters who hang out here have very strong egos.

---

The putty knife and wood block trick described in another post works
well for removing the grills. The first staple is the most difficult to
remove. Probe the edge of the grill at several points and pick the
easiest.

If your 901's use small staples to attach the grills, you can often
sneak under them with a small probe such as an ice pick and pry out the
staple. (using your wood block as the fulcrum)

Both of these tricks require a bit of skill to avoid grill or cabinet
damage.

spam: uce@ftc.gov
13> (Barry Mann)
February 20, 2005 1:05:28 PM

KENT HUFFORD wrote:
> I have a pair of BOSE 901s III.
>
> How do you remove the grills to get at the speakers, without damaging the
> grill cloth or the wood?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Kent
> khufford@comcast.net

If there rattling at all, the foam is probably starting to go.
Best advice? contact Bose about a trade up deal. They used to
do a send them in and give us $500 or so and well will send
you a new set. You might want to check with them and see if
there still doing that. By the time you paid to recone 16+
speakers, it would not be much cheaper. And if one speaker
needs it, they all will soon.

If you do pry off the rear cover, make sure you put something
between you prying device and the wood to help protect it from
gouging damage.

Bob

February 20, 2005 2:17:59 PM

"KENT HUFFORD" <khufford@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D OWdnSHjg750WorfRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
>I have a pair of BOSE 901s III.
>
> How do you remove the grills to get at the speakers, without damaging the
> grill cloth or the wood?

**Flamethrower.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:17:59 +1100, Trevor Wilson <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote:

>"KENT HUFFORD" <khufford@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:D OWdnSHjg750WorfRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
>>I have a pair of BOSE 901s III.
>>
>> How do you remove the grills to get at the speakers, without damaging the
>> grill cloth or the wood?

>**Flamethrower.

waste of fuel.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:18:01 PM

"TCS" <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:17:59 +1100, Trevor Wilson
> <trevor@SPAMBLOCKrageaudio.com.au> wrote:
>
>>"KENT HUFFORD" <khufford@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>news:D OWdnSHjg750WorfRVn-2Q@comcast.com...
>>>I have a pair of BOSE 901s III.
>>>
>>> How do you remove the grills to get at the speakers, without damaging
>>> the
>>> grill cloth or the wood?
>
>>**Flamethrower.
>

> waste of fuel.

None of this answers the OP's questions.

I don't own Bose products, but I wonder why it is attacked when mentioned in
the groups?
Just wondering, John
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:18:02 PM

> None of this answers the OP's questions.
>
> I don't own Bose products, but I wonder why it is attacked when mentioned in
> the groups?
> Just wondering, John

They are saying they can't be removed without destroying them and
replacing them isn't easy BUT overall it isn't worth it since they use
nine identical full range drivers with eight pointing to the rear one to
the front (that is the right way I never did get that).

The 901 was (is) the flagship of the BoSe line. Anyway take a pair of
those and for good measure a wAvE rAdIo and then add one of their latest
most expensive component systems with the 1" x 1" speakers? and subs?

OK so you got these three systems so you can A / B / C direct compare
them - I WANT TO BE FAIR HERE -

Now take the same amount of money spent on assembling the three bOsE
systems and buy three good quality systems.

Six systems to compare three pairs at equal price points.

THE BOSE WILL ALWAYS END UP IN LAST PLACE.

You hear a bOSE and don't know better it sounds good because it's
harshly equalized, has huge gaps, peaks and valleys in it's frequency
response and is diffused sounding. SO it gives an immediate impression
of openess and fills the room. But up next to a real system it's vague
and distilled and vailed.

As if all this were not enough (because if that's the sound you're after
that's cool but it's displeasing to someone who knows audio equipment)
but THE REAL KICKER is BOSe spends 10% on research and development and
90% on marketing. There is some link that exposes all the flaws of bOSE
systems hopefully someone can list that.

So image the pain through an audiophile when friends ask for system
recomendations BUT THEY WANT A BOSE because the slick (brainwashing)
marketing has them convinced!
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:48:52 PM

news:rec.audio.opinion is a more appropriate place to
discuss Bose. This newsgroup is chartered for more
technical discussions.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 8:06:09 PM

No Spam wrote:

> Bose-bashing is fine when it's backed up by facts,
> or by actual listening. But that line about spending
> only 10% on R&D and 90% on marketing has never been
> credible, and has never been supported by any evidence.
> Listening only tells you how they sound. It doesn't
> support specific hearsay financial claims.

Didn't Amar Bose have a bet with L. Ron Hubbard over
who could fool more people for longer? :-)

--
Eiron.
Anonymous

> news:rec.audio.opinion is a more appropriate place to discuss Bose. This
> newsgroup is chartered for more
> technical discussions.

How convenient. You make an unsupportable claim, and
then when it's challenged, you whine about the group's
charter. But you still haven't explained how you can
judge the percentages spent on R&D and marketing by
listening. Care to support your claim, or admit that
you can't support it?
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 11:37:55 AM

No Spam wrote:
> "Richard Crowley" wrote ...
> > news:rec.audio.opinion is a more appropriate place
> > to discuss Bose. This newsgroup is chartered for
> > more technical discussions.
>
> How convenient. You make an unsupportable claim, and
> then when it's challenged, you whine about the group's
> charter. But you still haven't explained how you can
> judge the percentages spent on R&D and marketing by
> listening. Care to support your claim, or admit that
> you can't support it?

You seem to have me confused with someone else. Go back
and study the thread more carefully. My only "claim" is
that I don't like how they sound, I think they cost too
much and I think they are hyped beyond their ability to
deliver. You may draw your own conclusions from that.
You need not subscribe to my conclusion.

Sorry you missed my apparently too-subtle suggestion that
this thread has developed into a discussion of opinion
that has nothing to do with technology.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 12:40:56 PM

No Spam wrote:

> "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
>
>>news:rec.audio.opinion is a more appropriate place to discuss Bose. This
>>newsgroup is chartered for more
>>technical discussions.
>

> How convenient. You make an unsupportable claim, and
> then when it's challenged, you whine about the group's
> charter. But you still haven't explained how you can
> judge the percentages spent on R&D and marketing by
> listening. Care to support your claim, or admit that
> you can't support it?

Minimal expenditure on R&D to hurt the bottom line. Massive and
effective marketing, even the so called "patents" they have are
brilliant marketing. Premium prices charged for their mediocre products.

It's a common pattern with big companies.

CD
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 9:19:12 PM

TCS wrote:

> oh puleeze. Take ONE look at a set of bose speakers. Just one.
> It won't kill you.

Yeah, yeah, but we can't get the darn grille off ;-)
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:25:46 AM

On 23 Feb 2005 18:19:12 -0800, elephantcelebes@yahoo.com <elephantcelebes@yahoo.com> wrote:
>TCS wrote:

>> oh puleeze. Take ONE look at a set of bose speakers. Just one.
>> It won't kill you.

>Yeah, yeah, but we can't get the darn grille off ;-)

I recently came accross an IBM monitor with a build in "bose sound system". I
was using the monitor to set up a minimal system for a friend and thought "If
I tap into the 12V of the computer and use a 15W/chan car stereo amp I've
laying around, it might not sound too bad". The speakers were about 4" wide
and 12" tall on each side so they looked like they might be a two way setup
with a 3.5" woofer. Maybe not too bad.

Took the grill off and discovered that the 48 sq. inches of grill were to hide
a 1" plain paper driver. ONE INCH! Damn pathetic. I left those "speakers"
unconnected and went with a $10 pair of computer speakers. At least those had
a 2.5" driver.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:01:10 PM

TCS wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2005 18:19:12 -0800, elephantcelebes@yahoo.com <elephantcelebes@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>TCS wrote:
>

>>>oh puleeze. Take ONE look at a set of bose speakers. Just one.
>>>It won't kill you.
>

>>Yeah, yeah, but we can't get the darn grille off ;-)
>

> I recently came accross an IBM monitor with a build in "bose sound system". I
> was using the monitor to set up a minimal system for a friend and thought "If
> I tap into the 12V of the computer and use a 15W/chan car stereo amp I've
> laying around, it might not sound too bad". The speakers were about 4" wide
> and 12" tall on each side so they looked like they might be a two way setup
> with a 3.5" woofer. Maybe not too bad.
>
> Took the grill off and discovered that the 48 sq. inches of grill were to hide
> a 1" plain paper driver. ONE INCH! Damn pathetic. I left those "speakers"
> unconnected and went with a $10 pair of computer speakers. At least those had
> a 2.5" driver.
Not that I'm a BOSE lover, but is music about how many inches the driver
is? Maybe the 1 inch BOSE speakers sounded better than the 2.5" driver
you replaced them with. Of course the 1" BOSE speakers will be very
limited in power capability and frequency response, but when it comes to
speakers built into a computer monitor, how much can you really expect?

Case in point, I've been a big fan of Cambridge Soundworks speakers, hi
fi and the computer ones. Even though Creative owns them, there is still
a distinguishing quality between the Canbridge Soundworks speakers and
the Creative speakers. You always get more bang for the buck with the
Creative speakers in terms of speaker size, power handling, etc, but in
terms of sound, the Cambridge soundworks speaker walk all over the
Creatives models.

CD
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:01:11 PM

"Codifus" wrote ...
> Case in point, I've been a big fan of Cambridge Soundworks speakers,
> hi fi and the computer ones. Even though Creative owns them, there is
> still a distinguishing quality between the Canbridge Soundworks
> speakers and the Creative speakers. You always get more bang for the
> buck with the Creative speakers in terms of speaker size, power
> handling, etc, but in terms of sound, the Cambridge soundworks speaker
> walk all over the Creatives models.

Some of the models "sound nice" and are likely OK for caual
computer use. But they have horrible anomolies in their frequency
response and we have found them unsuitable for even minimal
video production sound track use. I'm replacing two sets of them
on our edit systems.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:01:11 PM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:01:10 -0500, Codifus <codifus@optonline.net> wrote:
>TCS wrote:

>>>Yeah, yeah, but we can't get the darn grille off ;-)
>>

>> I recently came accross an IBM monitor with a build in "bose sound system". I
>> was using the monitor to set up a minimal system for a friend and thought "If
>> I tap into the 12V of the computer and use a 15W/chan car stereo amp I've
>> laying around, it might not sound too bad". The speakers were about 4" wide
>> and 12" tall on each side so they looked like they might be a two way setup
>> with a 3.5" woofer. Maybe not too bad.
>>
>> Took the grill off and discovered that the 48 sq. inches of grill were to hide
>> a 1" plain paper driver. ONE INCH! Damn pathetic. I left those "speakers"
>> unconnected and went with a $10 pair of computer speakers. At least those had
>> a 2.5" driver.
>Not that I'm a BOSE lover, but is music about how many inches the driver
>is? Maybe the 1 inch BOSE speakers sounded better than the 2.5" driver
>you replaced them with. Of course the 1" BOSE speakers will be very
>limited in power capability and frequency response, but when it comes to
>speakers built into a computer monitor, how much can you really expect?

Oh puleeze. These were 1" paper drivers, the kind used in answering machines.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 10:59:34 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:
> "Codifus" wrote ...
>
>> Case in point, I've been a big fan of Cambridge Soundworks speakers,
>> hi fi and the computer ones. Even though Creative owns them, there is
>> still a distinguishing quality between the Canbridge Soundworks
>> speakers and the Creative speakers. You always get more bang for the
>> buck with the Creative speakers in terms of speaker size, power
>> handling, etc, but in terms of sound, the Cambridge soundworks speaker
>> walk all over the Creatives models.
>

> Some of the models "sound nice" and are likely OK for caual
> computer use. But they have horrible anomolies in their frequency
> response and we have found them unsuitable for even minimal
> video production sound track use. I'm replacing two sets of them
> on our edit systems.
Yes, I would agree with that. I have sensed a little bit of something
missing between the satellites and the bass module. I'm the casual
computer user, so they're fine by me:)

CD
March 22, 2009 4:07:10 AM

Thank you to the gentleman who answered the simple question about removing the grilles. I just bought a mint-looking pair of 1984 Bose 501 Series IV speakers and had the same exact question. They sound fine, but I just wanted to inspect them, because I'm considering reselling them on eBay and I don't want to sell anyone damaged speakers.

It seems some people will take any opportunity to engage in "Bose Bashing". I don't really get why people feel such a strong need to express their dislike of this particular brand of speaker. In the world of hi-fi, what sounds best to a particular individuals' ears is what he/she should go with. If Bose does the trick, then that's the speaker he/she should purchase.

I personally use NHT SuperOne's, and I love the sound. I only had a limited listening experience with these 501's, so I can't provide an opinion yet.

Why can't people who DON'T like Bose speakers just go and buy and enjoy whatever speaker they prefer, and leave those who DO alone? Anything else seems childish, insecure and immature!
!