Sign in with
Your question

Computer crashing

Last response: in Windows 7
April 5, 2012 3:12:01 AM

My computer has been having some random crashes for quite awhile now and I really cant figure out why.

Here are my specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad-Core 3.2 GHz AM3 Processor (Liquid Cooled)
Asus M4A79T Deluxe ATX Motherboard
12GB RAM
Seagate 1.5TB 7200RPM HDD
XFX HD Radeon 6950 - Used to be x2 ATI 5770 but replaced those thinking it was part of the crashing. Didn't help anything.
Antec Earthwatts 750W High performance SLI/Crossfire power supply
Windows 7 Home Premium - Have formatted and started with a clean OS and installing the drivers myself and that doesnt fix the crashing.
Running crossfire with 3 screens

Alright so now that you have my specs here is whats been going on. My computer crashes in and out of games at random times with no BSOD or errors. It just hangs, sound stops, some of the time when it hangs its just a black screen and other times its these really crazy colorful lines all across the screen. The only way to get out of this is to hold in on the power button and after trying to restart sometimes it doesnt POST, or beep, just a black screen with all the computer fans running but one thing i noticed is the GPU fan pulses on and off over and over until it finally does POST and boots normally until it crashes again. The one and only time I got a BSOD was today and it was something to do with dxgmms1.sys (Direct X). I'm down to thinking its the motherboard, PSU or maybe the CPU because everything else has been replaced but im not really sure so thats why im here. I know this is not due to overheating because i cooled my room to 65 Fahrenheit and tried to start up a game and got the same results. If anyone needs some more information or needs me to test anything else just ask. EDIT: Also I forgot to say that it even hangs when im trying to run memtest86 or if im in bios with that it just sits on the screen, doesnt show a blank screen or crazy colors.

More about : computer crashing

April 5, 2012 3:18:50 AM

It sounds like the CPU to me. Might be time to replace it.
m
l
April 5, 2012 3:25:38 AM

druglesshippie said:
It sounds like the CPU to me. Might be time to replace it.

Also I forgot to say that it even hangs when im trying to run memtest86 or if im in bios with that it just sits on the screen, doesnt show a blank screen or crazy colors. (not sure if that adds any difference.)

Is there any way i could confirm its the CPU?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 5, 2012 3:28:01 AM

Might be RAM. Is it overclocked? Try the PC with only one stick of RAM at a time and see if one is troublesome.
m
l
April 5, 2012 3:41:24 AM

Traildriver said:
Might be RAM. Is it overclocked? Try the PC with only one stick of RAM at a time and see if one is troublesome.

I dont have overclocking on anything. I will try that and report back my results soon.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 5, 2012 4:03:55 AM

i would pull out ran till had one stick or 4 gigs of ram and see if it hangs...also check the mb ram page to see if the ram your using is on it. i had p35 board that hung a lot found out i was using ram that the chipset could not handel (1066) should been using 800 ddr2 memory.
m
l
April 5, 2012 4:06:53 AM

Took all but one RAM stick out and was able to play a game without it crashing for once. So I think that was it but im going to put them in one by one and try to figure out which one is doing it. Is it bad to have two different speeds/types of ram in the same computer? Will reply back with my results of adding ram back in.

--

Edit:

Put another one of the same speed ram sticks that was already in and it made the computer freeze on post. restarted the computer just to make sure it wasnt a one time thing and it repeated, took the RAM stick back out and restarted and it worked fine again. will try going with just this one ram stick for a few days and see how it works out.

Still have a question about RAM..

Is it bad to have two different speeds/types of ram in the same computer?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 5, 2012 5:13:06 PM

Yes, it can be very bad with unpredictable results. Best results are obtained from identical sticks - same mnfg, same timings etc so that if you ever do overclock the sticks respond equally.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 5, 2012 5:16:20 PM

Also

Double check the MB website and check to see if your RAM is certified for the board.

If it is not there that may be ok as long as it is a reputable brand with the recommended values.

When you install them follow the MB manual to verify correct slot placement as well

Edit - install the RAM in matching pairs of sticks into the correct paired slots. (Tried downloading the manual to see which slots but my Zip utility will not open it)
m
l
April 5, 2012 6:10:47 PM

FYI. Here are some things you may want to check out. It looks like your having a problem with your RAM.

You said one stick made it work OK.

Some systems are very sensative to RAM. You should check all of the RAM and make sure it is from the same Mfgr. and the same speed.

If any of them are different this may be your probem.

If you have added new RAM since you've had the System it may need to all be changes.

Always buy RAM as a Kit and never mix brands or Mfgr's, if you do you're asking for probelms. So if you have 4 slots and you want to fill them all with 1GB sticks buy a 4 stick kit of 1GB /stick. Totaling 4 GB.

Hope this helps you no reply is needed.

Jim
m
l
!