Sign in with
Your question

Cheap Power Supplies & RF

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 8, 2002 8:11:14 PM

I recently purchased two different cases and each included a P4 ready power supply. When in use, both "Generic" power supplies cause AM radio interference (high-pitch squeal). I have not tried using them with P4 MBs, hence the P4 connectors are not being used. I know you get what you pay for, and few people listen to AM radio, but both PSs have the Fcc symbol and they should not do this.
So why do they?
The PSs are "TurboLink CWT-320ATX" and "Elevation LPF2N".
Thanx
P.S. My Enermax and Antec P4 ready PSs do not cause this problem.

More about : cheap power supplies

May 12, 2002 12:27:10 AM

does you mean that those cheap PSUs involve high-pitch squeal on your speakers?

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...
May 12, 2002 4:40:34 AM

Yes. That is what he is saying.
You are getting better.

:lol:  <b><font color=blue> Welcome to</font color=blue> <font color=red>Fredi's</font color=red><font color=blue> place.</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
Related resources
May 12, 2002 5:15:18 AM

even if you are vexed about somehow for something dont try to piss me off.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...
May 12, 2002 5:36:29 AM

I am not trying to piss you off.
I was trying, again, to communicate.
We can or we can't. What do you want to do?

:lol:  <b><font color=blue> Welcome to</font color=blue> <font color=red>Fredi's</font color=red><font color=blue> place.</font color=blue></b> :lol: 
May 12, 2002 3:21:12 PM

*yawn*

So, anyway, back to the original poster.

Yeah, that's strange. I don't use AM, but I've a FM radio plugged about 4 feet from the back of the computer, in another room.

Sounds like you have some sort of a leak through your case. You might try hooking a ground wire up to the outside of your case (should already be grounded through the PSU), and touching it to different areas of the case to see if the problem lies there. It's possible one panel might not have good electrical contact, and isn't shielding very well.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
May 14, 2002 6:26:44 AM

Thanks for the replies.
The problem appears to be simple: DO NOT use cheap, no name power supplies. If you purchase a case, avoid ordering one with a power supply because unless it is name brand, it makes a better door stop than it does a power supply. To remedy my problem, I purchased a name brand "Enermax" (P4 ready power supply). It works great, and my neighbors no longer complain about a high pitch squeal interrupting their talk radio programs (AM, 530 – 1700 kHz). I did not change anything else, so the problem was indeed the el-cheap-o power supplies. My best guess is that cheap power supplies, in order to be low cost, do not have the filter circuits that good power supplies do.
Thanks again- Jbur
May 14, 2002 7:17:51 AM

Thanks for the info on your experience. Once again, you get what you pay for.

!