Need help in setting up a Network Server 2003 environment on 5 PCs

alex710

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Hi there,

I currently support a medical office who is running windows server with 23 with 15 PCs. The office was setup prior to me working there and now I just maintain the system as the need arises. The network has had its issues here and there, but nothing major. I'm more of a Hardware guy and not a Network Guru, yet I'm dying to learn.

So my issue is that the physician is opening up a new location in a few months and I need to learn how to setup, configure and get a network server 2003 up and running from scratch to finish. I've setup simple home networks with file sharing and such but never a more complicated network.

I was wondering if someone can give me detailed assistance with this or guidance as to where I can go find assistance.

I plan on purchasing a Dell Server, a Sonicwall, switch and 5 Client PCs. Can someone please help me out as to what switch they recommend and how I should setup up infrastructure and how I go about actually setting up the network and getting it up and running and be secure.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

kahndale

Honorable
May 16, 2012

First off how are you connecting to the internet/networks, It does matter for the set-up type. If you are running point to point T-1's then you have to do it one way, if you are using VPN based connections then a different set-up is required, and last do you plan on making a domain for security reasons since is it a Doctor's office? You will need to consider security so they (the Doctor) doesn't get fines or sued for violating HIPPA Compliance standards. Sonicwalls are nice Firewalls but have some poor vpn software compared to companies like CheckPoint or Baracudda. This all depends on how you want to approach it first but I could help you with a secure and easily maintainable set-up if i know which way you want to go. Dell servers are great their desktops are ok but that is a matter of preference. The Optiplex 390 i3 2130 is a nice way to go for workstations. The server is your choice, but the R210 is a nice small server from Dell. Note dont ever buy a server from Dell with a non-mainstream cpu (dont buy a tower server with a celeron just get the Xeon or Core i series CPU, you will have less issues in the long run.) Last and I will shut up; pay for the extra service warranty (dell pro support 24x7 365) it is invaluable in mission critical settings you can normally get parts the same day if you call early enough.