New zire on the palmOne site (no new tungsten)

April 28, 2004 10:58:50 AM

http://www.palmone.com/

There's a Zire 72 and a Zire 31.

The T|T and the T2 has been dropped from the main product chart, but
there's no new Tungsteen. <http://www.palmone.com/us/products/&gt;

Damn - I had hoped for a T|E2.... (I just want a cheaper T3)

--
TC http://sfbook.com
Science Fiction Book database, recommendations, reviews, ratings...

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:58:50 +0200, Thomas Christensen wrote:

> http://www.palmone.com/
>
> There's a Zire 72 and a Zire 31.

*whew*... my purchase decision (Zire 71) made it through the first round
of new Palms ;)  [That's probably all I can really hope for...]

I started to worry looking at the specs of the Zire31, since it has many
of the same features that drew me to the Zire71 (pretty color screen,
basically... I was stepping up from a Palm V after all). It even throws in
bonuses like Splash Money and the fact that it's cheaper...

Then I realized it didn't have a PUC, and neither does the Zire 72. So now
PalmOne is making a total of two devices with a PUC (the T3 and the
T|C)... really "Universal", eh? ;)

(They've even started calling the PUC a "USB connection system"...)

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

Thomas Christensen wrote:
> http://www.palmone.com/
>
> There's a Zire 72 and a Zire 31.

As I suspected, the Zire72 has a mini-USB connector, rather than a
Universal Connector. (Meaning that I can't use my keyboard.) This is a
bit of a disappointment I must say, but I understand they had to cut
costs somewhere. The rest of the specs look great, though.

Regards
-Laurens
April 28, 2004 1:10:00 PM

Lenroc wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:58:50 +0200, Thomas Christensen wrote:

>>There's a Zire 72 and a Zire 31.

> *whew*... my purchase decision (Zire 71) made it through the first round
> of new Palms ;)  [That's probably all I can really hope for...]
>
> I started to worry looking at the specs of the Zire31, since it has many
> of the same features that drew me to the Zire71 (pretty color screen,
> basically... I was stepping up from a Palm V after all).

Well, the Zire 31 seems to have a 160x160 screen, whereas I believe
the Zire 71 has a 320x320 screen. Both are color, but one is four
times as many pixels as the other. So in that way, the Zire 71
is still definitely superior.

- Logan
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:20:01 PM

Thomas Christensen wrote:

> http://www.palmone.com/
>
> There's a Zire 72 and a Zire 31.
>
> The T|T and the T2 has been dropped from the main product chart, but
> there's no new Tungsteen. <http://www.palmone.com/us/products/&gt;

A bit more info:

<http://www.techtv.com/news/products/story/0,24195,36800...;

<http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4884.html&gt;

--
TC http://sfbook.com
Science Fiction Book database, recommendations, reviews, ratings...
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:58:46 PM

Hmm,
on the specs they state that you can now add a photo to the contact list.
Don't tell me that they've changed the PIM interface again!!!
Mr. Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence of the planet is a constant.
The population is increasing.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:13:52 PM

The Zire72's battery life isn't too good according to Brighthand and
InfoSync. This might be a problem(the T|3 and T|E suffer from this as
well). The Zire71 does have a better battery I think, 1100mAh vs 950mAh
for the 72.

I'm tempted to pick one up as soon as it becomes available over here,
but I think I'll wait a few weeks to see what the initial response is.

-Laurens
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 10:15:06 AM

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:10:00 GMT, Logan Shaw <lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> spewed
forth these words of wisdom:

>Lenroc wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:58:50 +0200, Thomas Christensen wrote:
>
>>>There's a Zire 72 and a Zire 31.
>
>> *whew*... my purchase decision (Zire 71) made it through the first round
>> of new Palms ;)  [That's probably all I can really hope for...]
>>
>> I started to worry looking at the specs of the Zire31, since it has many
>> of the same features that drew me to the Zire71 (pretty color screen,
>> basically... I was stepping up from a Palm V after all).
>
>Well, the Zire 31 seems to have a 160x160 screen, whereas I believe
>the Zire 71 has a 320x320 screen. Both are color, but one is four
>times as many pixels as the other. So in that way, the Zire 71
>is still definitely superior.
>
> - Logan

Plus, the 31 also has a different type of screen, which only supports
"thousands" of colors, and isn't supposed to look very good at all.

--
Save Pepsi Blue!
Help save our beloved beverage

Galley wrote:

> Plus, the 31 also has a different type of screen, which only supports
> "thousands" of colors, and isn't supposed to look very good at all.

"isn't supposed to look very good"? They designed it to not look very
good? I doubt that.
April 29, 2004 3:35:26 PM

Thomas Christensen <tc@tc.dk> wrote in message news:<bSGjc.229$gO2.220@news.get2net.dk>...
> http://www.palmone.com/
>
> There's a Zire 72 and a Zire 31.
>
> The T|T and the T2 has been dropped from the main product chart, but
> there's no new Tungsteen. <http://www.palmone.com/us/products/&gt;
>
> Damn - I had hoped for a T|E2.... (I just want a cheaper T3)

A few comments on the developing thread:

The E2 is still supposed to be coming in the late summer or fall - but
it'll still have the mini-USB connector, not the universal connector.
So it can't really replace the T3, unless you're ok with no cradle, no
good keyboard, no backwards compatibility, etc, etc.

The Zire 31 is a nice addition, although I was very disappointed with
the low-resolution screen - they should have used the 320X320 screen.
However, they may have decided against using the one that was in the
Zire 71, after all the problems they had with "screen whine" and
everything. Personally, I'd wait for next year's "Zire 41" or whatever
("Zire 32"?) before buying, just to see if they put the high-res
screen in.

The Zire 72 is a nice replacement for the 71 - it's like they read my
post of a few months back and gave me everything I wished for! Video
capable, more pixels for the camera, bigger memory, faster CPU,
microphone..... Personally, I don't care that they've gotten rid of
the "Universal connector" - I have a devil of a time with my '71 not
connecting properly in the cradle anyways. Too bad about the battery
time - BTW, the Zire 71 has a 900 mAh battery, not 1100 mAh. The
reviews I've read also indicate that there may be some focus issues
with the camera, and that the lens isn't well protected. They also
apparently haven't addressed the screen brightness issue. I guess I'm
going to keep my Zire 71 for a little while longer.....

ECM
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 9:38:26 PM

In article <zWIjc.381$yS.158@news.get2net.dk>, tc@tc.dk says...
> Thomas Christensen wrote:
>
> > http://www.palmone.com/
> >
> > There's a Zire 72 and a Zire 31.
> >
> > The T|T and the T2 has been dropped from the main product chart, but
> > there's no new Tungsteen. <http://www.palmone.com/us/products/&gt;
>
> A bit more info:
>
> <http://www.techtv.com/news/products/story/0,24195,36800...;
>
> <http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/4884.html&gt;

Come on!!! What are you, kidding me Palm?

So damn close... just give me a Z31 with 320x320.
I don't even care about the UC anymore.

Gah!
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 9:55:32 AM

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:27:35 -0700, "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming@cox.net>
spewed forth these words of wisdom:

>Galley wrote:
>
>> Plus, the 31 also has a different type of screen, which only supports
>> "thousands" of colors, and isn't supposed to look very good at all.
>
>"isn't supposed to look very good"? They designed it to not look very
>good? I doubt that.

I meant "according to the reviews I have read", it doesn't look very good.

--
Save Pepsi Blue!
Help save our beloved beverage
http://www.savepepsiblue.com/
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 6:50:44 PM

ECM wrote:

> The E2 is still supposed to be coming in the late summer or fall - but
> it'll still have the mini-USB connector, not the universal connector.
> So it can't really replace the T3, unless you're ok with no cradle, no
> good keyboard, no backwards compatibility, etc, etc.

How can you be so certain about this? (Unless you have inside info.)
After all, the Zire71 has a UC while the 72 does not. PalmOne may well
decide that all Tungstens will have UCs from this point on, while the
Zires will only use mini-USB. Marketing-wise it would make sense to make
this distinction.

Regards
-Laurens
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 6:50:45 PM

Laurens <spam@block.com> wrote:

> How can you be so certain about this? (Unless you have inside info.)
> After all, the Zire71 has a UC while the 72 does not. PalmOne may well
> decide that all Tungstens will have UCs from this point on, while the
> Zires will only use mini-USB. Marketing-wise it would make sense to
> make this distinction.

The way it looks to me is that the Universal Connector is going away. Palm
is penny pinching, and using USB instead is almost certainly cheaper --
especially so if they can deliver a model with a (standard $1 bulk) USB
cable instead of a (proprietary and expensive) cradle.
For the very highest end models, the cradle might live for a while yet, but
don't count on it. After all, the T|E and Z72 did not have the cradle that
their predecessors did.

Regards,
--
*Art
April 30, 2004 6:50:45 PM

Laurens <spam@block.com> wrote in message news:<c6ti35$1h$1@reader13.wxs.nl>...
> ECM wrote:
>
> > The E2 is still supposed to be coming in the late summer or fall - but
> > it'll still have the mini-USB connector, not the universal connector.
> > So it can't really replace the T3, unless you're ok with no cradle, no
> > good keyboard, no backwards compatibility, etc, etc.
>
> How can you be so certain about this? (Unless you have inside info.)
> After all, the Zire71 has a UC while the 72 does not. PalmOne may well
> decide that all Tungstens will have UCs from this point on, while the
> Zires will only use mini-USB. Marketing-wise it would make sense to make
> this distinction.
>

> Regards
> -Laurens

Not inside info, but rather the articles I'd read at some of the Palm
fan sites - the E2 wasn't going to add the universal connector back
in, after it'd been dropped from the T|E. I wish I had time to add a
link - I'll try to look up some of the articles later and post
them.....

Peace!
ECM
!