How do I split up a MP3 track?

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
Share
February 25, 2005 6:51:59 AM

Hello,

I recorded a 3 hour concert to MP3. I want to put it on 3 audio cds as
cda files. So I need to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files (at the
appropriate break points) and then convert the mp3 files to cda files. I
use CDEX for ripping and converting MP3 to cda. But I am at loss on how
to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files. Can someone help me out?

TIA,
Dan

More about : split mp3 track

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:52:00 AM

"Dan" <dan@nospam.com> wrote in message news:421EA285.6070706@nospam.com...
> Hello,
>
> I recorded a 3 hour concert to MP3. I want to put it on 3 audio cds as
> cda files. So I need to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files (at the
> appropriate break points) and then convert the mp3 files to cda files. I
> use CDEX for ripping and converting MP3 to cda. But I am at loss on how
> to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files. Can someone help me out?
>
> TIA,
> Dan

You need an audio editor. Try the freebie Audacity, open the file then
select the first section you want, cut, then open a new file and do a paste.
Voila! Export as Wav and repeat for the rest of your selections. Make your
CD from those wav files.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 11:31:12 AM

"Dan" <dan@nospam.com> wrote in message news:421EA285.6070706@nospam.com
> Hello,
>
> I recorded a 3 hour concert to MP3. I want to put it on 3 audio cds
> as cda files. So I need to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files (at
> the appropriate break points) and then convert the mp3 files to cda
> files. I use CDEX for ripping and converting MP3 to cda. But I am at
> loss on how to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files. Can someone help
> me out?

If you want to do minimum violence to the sound quality of the file,
consider software like this:

http://www.mptrim.com/

Basically you make 3 copies of the original file, and trim off the parts of
each. You thus create three files one containing the beginning, one the
middle, while the other has the end.
February 25, 2005 12:19:28 PM

I use this program...

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/mp3_to...

The interface (in my version at least) is a bit quirky but simple enough
once you get it.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Dan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recorded a 3 hour concert to MP3. I want to put it on 3 audio cds as
> cda files. So I need to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files (at the
> appropriate break points) and then convert the mp3 files to cda files. I
> use CDEX for ripping and converting MP3 to cda. But I am at loss on how
> to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files. Can someone help me out?
>
> TIA,
> Dan
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 7:03:26 PM

Dan <dan@nospam.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I recorded a 3 hour concert to MP3. I want to put it on 3 audio cds
> as cda files. So I need to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files (at
> the appropriate break points) and then convert the mp3 files to cda
> files. I use CDEX for ripping and converting MP3 to cda. But I am at
> loss on how to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files. Can someone help
> me out?

Audio CDs are in linear PCM format, so the easiest thing would be to
first convert the mp3 file into a .wav file, then use a utility like
Audition (or a freeware equivalent such as Audacity) to split the wave file
into the three parts, then burn the resulting component .wav files onto
your CDs.
--
% Randy Yates % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % things were so uncomplicated?"

In article <is4fcnqp.fsf@ieee.org>, Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> wrote:

> Dan <dan@nospam.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recorded a 3 hour concert to MP3. I want to put it on 3 audio cds
> > as cda files. So I need to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files (at
> > the appropriate break points) and then convert the mp3 files to cda
> > files. I use CDEX for ripping and converting MP3 to cda. But I am at
> > loss on how to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files. Can someone help
> > me out?
>
> Audio CDs are in linear PCM format, so the easiest thing would be to
> first convert the mp3 file into a .wav file, then use a utility like
> Audition (or a freeware equivalent such as Audacity) to split the wave file
> into the three parts, then burn the resulting component .wav files onto
> your CDs.

On a Mac use Amadeus (www.hairersoft.ch) for the same purpose.

HTH

Marc
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:10:08 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:51:59 GMT, Dan <dan@nospam.com> wrote:

>I recorded a 3 hour concert to MP3. I want to put it on 3 audio cds as
>cda files. So I need to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files (at the
>appropriate break points) and then convert the mp3 files to cda files. I
>use CDEX for ripping and converting MP3 to cda. But I am at loss on how
>to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files. Can someone help me out?

Use an wave editor. I'm told Audacity is very good, especially for
free :-) I think it accepts MP3 files?

You don't "convert" to cda files. Cda files are just headers -
access points to the data stored on playable CD media. The actual
sound is stored in a format very close to wav, but is not directly
accessible from your computer's file system. Anyway, you don't need
to worry about that. Trim up your files and present them to the
program that came with your CD burner, tell it to burn an Audio CD.
If you give it a MP3, it's going to convert it to wav anyway. So you
might as well start out with a wav.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:10:09 PM

"Laurence Payne" <l@laurenceDELETEpayne.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:51:59 GMT, Dan <dan@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >I recorded a 3 hour concert to MP3. I want to put it on 3 audio cds as
> >cda files. So I need to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files (at the
> >appropriate break points) and then convert the mp3 files to cda files. I
> >use CDEX for ripping and converting MP3 to cda. But I am at loss on how
> >to break the mp3 file into 3 mp3 files. Can someone help me out?
>
> Use an wave editor. I'm told Audacity is very good, especially for
> free :-) I think it accepts MP3 files?

Yes, it does. Many audio editors require a wav which is no biggie, just an
extra step. I wish I had known about Audacity before I purchased a different
program.
March 31, 2010 9:48:28 AM

I wonder if anybody could suggest a good program for splitting mp3s?
April 22, 2010 12:24:44 PM

I found several programs by myself, tried Audacity and some other free software. Well, Audacity is free and provides numerous options to edit audio files, make some parts of the song louder or quieter, reduce the noise level... But it recompresses files, which means reducing quality. Sometimes it does not matter, but I like good sound. I came to conclusion that mp3 cutter&joiner is most suitable for me as it does not loose quality and gives possibilities to split audio by silence (divide the record of the concert into separate songs) and visual cutting out of pauses.
!