Disk full ?

G

Our PC is a Pentium MMX CPU 233Mhz bought in 1999.We had a 2Gb hard drive on it which was inadequate for our needs. An IT Technician installed a 2nd hard drive for us (as a D drive) and this has a capacity of 20Gb. Windows 98 and my webcam are installed on the original C drive and this takes up 1.18 Gb leaving approx 835 Mb free space. Anything that we can possibly move to the D drive ,we have moved.
We have set things up so that temporary internet files go into the folder on the new D drive where there is plenty of space. Our understanding was that nothing from the internet should go to the C drive!
However each time we are on the internet , substantial amounts of space are used on the C drive and we frquently get a message telling us that it is full . Going into' my computer ' confirms this but when we disconnect from the internet the disc space clears back to normal. going into cleanup while online give no opportunity to clear space. What is filling up the C drive space while online and what can we do to stop it happening in future?
We would be most grateful for any help.Many thanks
Andrew

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
how much space is there before you go on the internet, and how much is free when you are on the internet?
basically, HOW FULL IS IT?
Windows needs at least 200 megs free to properly run with no errors like you are talking about.
what you should do is reinstall any programs that you have installed on the 2 gig drive on the d drive, and just leave windows on c. that should prevent that message again.
how much free space do you have on both drives?

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Yep, sounds like your swap file is filling up your space. You can change the drive windows uses to the new hard drive and itll even speed up your machine a bit as the new drive is faster. The other good option is to uninstall the webcam software and move it to the D drive then you will have lots of free space on C.

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

Next time you get the message, check the "win386.swp" file in the C: drive. The size of this file will denote the current size of your swapfile as this is it.

I suggest you make provisions for backing up your data on an image file, and getting round to making the 20GB drive the main drive. Things will run far more smoothly this way.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>