Your question

DVD Playback Problems

Tags:
  • DVD Drives
  • DVD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2002 4:33:09 PM

I have been having problems playing DVD's on my pc. I can play the film and it goes smoothly but then about halfway through the film the computer hangs. I'm using PowerDVD 3 and win98se. My system is as follows:

MSI K7T Pro 2-a
AMD Duron 800MHz
128MB SDRAM Unbranded
Sparkle GeForce2MX (21.83 Sparkle Version Drivers)
Hercules Game Theater XP (4.10 drivers)
16x DVD-ROM (DMA Enabled, not sure of make)
Ricoh 4/4/20 CDRW on same channel

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks

Frankie

More about : dvd playback problems

May 12, 2002 9:29:38 PM

Hi
Well i have you installed the latest via chipset driver?
Amd cpu tend to have random crashing without the via chipset installed. That my experience :-p
May 13, 2002 10:52:32 AM

Thanks for the reply, I havn't got the latest 4in1's but I have just downloaded them and am going to go and try them (I dont have an internet connection on the PC with the problems) I will reply again if it works!

Thanks again
Related resources
May 13, 2002 11:22:45 AM

Don't forget the AGP Miniport driver. This speeds up the graphics card considerably.

MC
May 14, 2002 5:28:13 AM

you may also want to consider using Nvidia's Detonator drivers rather than the Sparkle drivers.
May 18, 2002 2:25:21 PM

I've tried updating drivers (except going to nVidia reference drivers which i'll try now), and it still crashes. After updating the 4in1's it crashed almost straight away and then after rebooting the BIOS complained of a CMOS checksum error so I had to reset the settings. Is there anything (like having AGP 4x enabled) that would affect the playback?
I have also tried WinDVD however the playback was too slow and jerky so I didn't give it time to crash.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Frankie
May 18, 2002 7:02:25 PM

Don't bother with nVidia's drivers above v21.83 (Personally I recommend v15.70). The current driver builds (28.xx) break a lot of games and applications, and in most cases result in a huge performance decrease on most cards other than the GeForce4.
May 22, 2002 10:52:27 AM

Where can I download specific older drivers? I've found certain ones on the nvidia page but not the 15.70 ones.

Thanks
May 30, 2002 2:11:00 AM

VIA game a bad name to Win98SE.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
September 26, 2002 6:26:42 PM

Id the DVD drive set as a primary or slave >> one the secondary channel. Try removing the CD-RW and setting the DVD as a master drive and see what happens.

<font color=purple> "After great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"</font color=purple>
!